Future Planning : P. cambridgei or P. formosa

P. cambridgei vs P. formosa

• Poecilotheria formosa

• Psalmopoeus cambridgei

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
Just planning for later on but, which one should I get ? (Temprament, Ease of Care, and Colors to be considered)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Whichever you prefer the colours & temperament of :p

Also, this should be posted in T chat ;)

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
I would prefer Pokies because of their personality and their color. Idk about the venom tho, is it almost the same as Psalmos? If so, I'd rather pick pokies. I heard pokies have a really great temprament but just because their venom, speed, and care, other peoples usually do not recommend it. What do you think?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would prefer Pokies because of their personality and their color. Idk about the venom tho, is it almost the same as Psalmos? If so, I'd rather pick pokies. I heard pokies have a really great temprament but just because their venom, speed, and care, other peoples usually do not recommend it. What do you think?
Poeci venom is more potent than that of Psalmo.

Psalmopoeus will match Poeci with speed easily.

There really isnt much of a difference in care. If any.

You will probably see P. cam out on display more often.

I love Psalmopoeus genus they are great. I also love Poeci but its all down to personal preference I suppose.

boina

Lady of the mites
To all the people who say you will see your P. cam: NO. You won't. At least not if it's like mine. I haven't seen mine (AF) in nearly a year. It's my most reclusive spider, together with my M. robustum (a fossorial). I'm done with them. Buy a P. formosa.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
To all the people who say you will see your P. cam: NO. You won't. At least not if it's like mine. I haven't seen mine (AF) in nearly a year. It's my most reclusive spider, together with my M. robustum (a fossorial). I'm done with them. Buy a P. formosa.
I sense a grudge against the Psalmos :p

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
I also don't see my MF P. cambridgei. She just sits in her cork bark tube + dirt curtain. I probably see it once or twice every month in the middle of the night. But I think, that's just a setup problem. When I had her with a flat cork bark, she had no choice ;). I love the appearance of Psalmopoeus, with fluffy legs and amazing markings on their feet. Plus my specimen never bolted or showed any signs of defense. I'd choose Psalmopoeus over any Poecilotheria.

To the OP, just choose whichever looks better to you.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
If you've had neither, I'd start with the P. cambridgei first and get the P. formosa after you get some experience with handling a fast and potentially defensive NW. Psalms are a great prep-T for Poecis, as well as just being really cool in general - I'd almost recommend the Psalm regardless.

Overall, the only major difference between these two in terms of care/caution is that the Poecis are packing a lot more pain in a nip than Psalms are, even though Psalms have some pretty nasty venom for a NW species. Both are absolutely stunning in appearance, practically living artwork, and both genera grow to impressive size with some good (and by good I mean feisty) attitude on them. It seems hit or miss with which ones are out more - I have a P. regalis that spends most of his time hiding these days, and see my P. irminia sling a bit more often despite it's own reclusive nature. I hear P. cambridgei tend to hide less (although poor boina has not had this experience :rofl:) and hope that my sling that just arrived today will prove to be more bold as it grows.

So honestly, if you feel you're ready for a super fast arboreal that'll throw you some 'tude, I'd say it all comes down to your personal aesthetic and how ballsy you are as to which one you go with... That Poeci venom isn't a joke! :anxious:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
To all the people who say you will see your P. cam: NO. You won't. At least not if it's like mine.
Or mine. I have certified pet holes that I see more often.

I sense a grudge against the Psalmos :p
Just overhyped ones that make my H. mac look sociable despite what everyone else says... I feel cheated :troll:

I also don't see my MF P. cambridgei.
Yeah, my 4+" male makes me look outgoing. Gave him a cork tube and I almost never saw more than toes, I rehoused him to a setup with upright cork flats and he made a moss curtain up top which he only comes out of to drink or to pebble dash the front door of his enclosure.

Last edited:

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
I don't have either of the T's you have listed, but I do have a P. Irminia and a P. Ornata so close enough I suppose! My Ornata is still around the 1 inch mark so still have a lot of growing to do before I can fully say, however pokies are gorgeous and are esteemed as the top pedigree in the tarantula world for a reason (at least in my opinion they are, I felt as if though my keeping goal was to be able to own a Pokie and once you're able to do that it's all down hill, again just my opinion). I had been waiting on this for awhile so the enjoyment I have of finally starting to dabble in Pokies is fantastic! Beautiful coloration and patterns, ferocious appetites normally, and not aggressive more so just skittish! Now, in regards to my 3inch P. Irminia who I have way more time an established relationship with, I absolutely love her/him! You'll read a lot on the boards on how the Cambridgei is supposed to be out more, but I have no complaints with my Irminia and it's out pretty often! Unless it's in premolt, I can reliably witness it hang out feverishly at the entrance of it's burrow waiting for it's next meal to be ensnared by those beautiful legs. I don't know if you were thinking Cambridgei due to the display factor, but in my opinion P. Irminia are more beautiful and you have an equal shot at seeing yours vs not. If you're really liking those two T's specifically, than my vote is P. Formosa, of course you could always do a compromise and get both ;)

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Both attractive spiders. If you already have OW experience, I’d go with the formosa.

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies! I'm not going to buy them now, just planning for the future.... I'll get a P. murinus first before I buy those T's. Also, I heard that Pokies are less defensive than Psalmos, is it true? I saw an article about it, they say Pokies are less prone to bite and would rather run to it's hide (More like teleport to it's hide lol).

Last edited:

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
I have yet to see a threat posture from both my Irminia or Ornata, the man thing in my opinion is the speed. Rehousing is always an inevitable challenge, I personally aim to rehouse them 3-4 times and then they're done and in their adult enclosures. OBTs are awesome, I love mine and no matter how common they are, they're always going to be within my top 10 favorite tarantulas! Great choice and a must have.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the replies! I'm not going to buy them now, just planning for the future.... I'll get a P. murinus first before I buy those T's. Also, I heard that Pokies are less defensive than Psalmos, is it true? I saw an article about it, they say Pokies are less prone to bite and would rather run to it's hide (More like teleport to it's hide lol).
Most Psalmos are a little more defensive than pokies....cams are not however....formosa tends to be one of the more high strung and defensive pokies. So its comparing the most chill Psalmo to possibly the least chill pokie.

Last edited:

ZHESSWA

Arachnopeon
I heard OBT's are semi-arboreal, is this true?
Not by nature, but super adaptable yes. If you want yours to be a heavy webber they often will be, as long as you give them lots of anchor points! Still give them enough soil to burrow if they choose, but hopefully yours does what mine did which was make a burrow but then web the entire enclosure.

Arialflash

Arachnopeon
Not by nature, but super adaptable yes. If you want yours to be a heavy webber they often will be, as long as you give them lots of anchor points! Still give them enough soil to burrow if they choose, but hopefully yours does what mine did which was make a burrow but then web the entire enclosure.
Yeah, I really love when T's makes a web castle. My B. vagans sling really likes to web it's enclosure (Is this even normal?) and he/she always dig a burrow with two entrances, not like my B. albo sling that always makes deep a burrow with one entrances and a lot of branching tunnels.
Anyways, I'll probably buy P. murinus first then get my arboreal T's. Wait..... I saw a thread somewhere that said Ceratogyrus are less defensive than Pterinochilus, is this true? I might buy a Ceratogyrus after I get my arboreal so....