First tarantula(s), few questions and recommendation needed

Thaorius

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm in the process of buying one or more tarantulas, and I have a few questions, but first, little back end story(you may skip ahead, it's not required that you read it):

I've always been don't know what about arachnids, they put me in a near panic state, which I can't define as fear, as I don't fear them, or disgust, as I consider them beautiful creatures; this has been like that since, well, always, and to be honest it puzzles me, as I am a very open minded and logical person, and it really makes no sense. So I added to one of my TODOs a "Get a big, hairy arachnid".

I never actually pursued this TODO goal any further, until last Thursday, a very dear aunt of mine passed away; and I REALLY need something to keep me distracted for a while; so I bought yet another reptile for my collection(python regius) and decided to get that arachnid, which is going to be a tarantula.
The species I have found a seller for, are the following:
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (ling, 3cm)
Acanthoscurria Geniculata (ling, 2cm)
Grammostola Rosea (1 year adult - ling, 1/1.5cm)
Grammostola Pulcrha (age unknown, 9/10cm, black or brown)
Grammostola Aureostriata (ling, 1cm)
Eupalaestrus Campestratus (ling, 0.75cm)
Vitalius Paranaensis (ling, 0.5/1cm)

I'm thinking on getting the following:
1) Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (ling, 3cm)
1) Acanthoscurria Geniculata (ling, 2cm)
1) Grammostola Rosea (1 year adult)
1) Grammostola Rosea (ling, 1/1.5cm)
2) Grammostola Aureostriata (ling, 1cm)
1) Eupalaestrus Campestratus (ling, 0.75cm)
1) Vitalius Paranaensis (ling, 0.5/1cm)

So I wanted an opinion on my selection, as well as some recommendation if you have any. Also, I'm thinking 8 Ts is kind of an overkill, but there is only one adult so...

Another thing, I was looking for a good book on Ts last night and came across "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide", which seems to be somewhat of a "must read". I was unable to find an ebook version of it(don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a warez download, just a digital version instead of paper as delivery time would be 1-2 months from amazon(average) and I just can't wait that long). If you know where I could get a digital copy, I would really appreciate a link.

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, man, that is a lot of things to address (not a bad thing at all, just saying this may be a bit long winded)

First: Consider getting just 1 or 2 slings for the first month to get some basic care down, as well as so you start to learn what to expect from them (basically, lots of them sitting there, for hours, until you sleep. Then you wake up and they will have made a sweet web while you were away.)

Second, Love most of the Ts on your list, esp the G. pulchra, but I don't know anything about the last two. The Grammostola take time to grow, as well as lots of patience, while the Chroma will grow faster and into insanely pretty colors (Green bottle blues are the common name for a reason). For a comparison, my < 1 year old Chroma is more than double the size of my 3 year old rosea (Captive Breed in '06). (about 2 1/2" chroma to 1 1/4" rosea in size)

Personally, the aureo and pulchra are must have Ts due to colour, looks, and disposition.

Third, look into proper cages (the search function is your friend)

Fourth, the Tarantula Keepers Guide by the Schultzs' is an amazing resource, just make sure you get the 3rd edition (published Feb 2009).

Minor thing, the genus name is capitalized, not the species; example: Grammostola pulchra.

Can't think of anything else immediately, feel free to ask questions or PM me if you want.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not much to add here at all.
Very thorough, however, if we're going to mention the proper capitalization of a scientific name we should probably also mention that the entire scientific name should also be italicized. IE: Grammostola pulchra. ;)

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is my favourite from the list. :D

Ok, man, that is a lot of things to address (not a bad thing at all, just saying this may be a bit long winded)

First: Consider getting just 1 or 2 slings for the first month to get some basic care down, as well as so you start to learn what to expect from them (basically, lots of them sitting there, for hours, until you sleep. Then you wake up and they will have made a sweet web while you were away.)

Second, Love most of the Ts on your list, esp the G. pulchra, but I don't know anything about the last two. The Grammostola take time to grow, as well as lots of patience, while the Chroma will grow faster and into insanely pretty colors (Green bottle blues are the common name for a reason). For a comparison, my < 1 year old Chroma is more than double the size of my 3 year old rosea (Captive Breed in '06). (about 2 1/2" chroma to 1 1/4" rosea in size)

Personally, the aureo and pulchra are must have Ts due to colour, looks, and disposition.

Fourth, the Tarantula Keepers Guide by the Schultzs' is an amazing resource, just make sure you get the 3rd edition (published Feb 2009).

Minor thing, the genus name is capitalized, not the species; example: Grammostola pulchra.

Can't think of anything else immediately, feel free to ask questions or PM me if you want.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One other tip. You may want to start with an adult tarantula, at least for a few months, before getting into the slings.

CarsinemiA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Personally, I would get everything except the G. rosea's. I don't know what it is, but I find this species somewhat dull in all aspects. They eat far too sporadically (for lack of a better term - more like fast for years), their temperaments can be somewhat strange (psycho is the word I'm looking for here) and are... well... boring and take AGES to grow.

One of my favourites (which I own) on your list are the A. geniculata - They grow fast, they grow big, they look spectacular, they are active, and they eat like a starved fat kid at a McDonalds convention.

And definately a G. pulchra - although they take long to grow, it's well worth the wait, they at least eat well.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you can afford it and do the proper research, then get them all. Some of the species listed will grow much faster than others so after a couple of years you'll have a variety of different sized Ts (which is a good thing). Oh, and I doubt it's an adult G. rosea if it's 1 year old. As someone mentioned, they grow very slowly.

I'd really recommend getting a real copy of the keeper's guide. Even if you wait a couple of months. You can dip in and out of it whenever you want, even if there's no access to a computer :) .

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm thinking on getting the following:
1) Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (ling, 3cm)
1) Grammostola Rosea (1 year adult)
For a total newbie, I would advise against getting anything under about maybe 2.5 cm. Tiny spiderlings are difficult to interact with, I had a TINY L. parahybana in my first order and I almost couldn't deal with it. It was so small I was afraid I'd squish it while removing uneaten prey, or it would bolt out of the vial and I'd be unable to recapture without hurting it. Rehousing it was an adventure in itself. {D If I could have gone back in time and changed my order, I would have. (This goes double if you are still arachnophobic and will be nervous anyway.)

Second, a 1 year old G. rosea is not going to be an adult. It will still be very tiny. If someone is selling you a grown G. rosea, it's probably closer to five or ten years old or older. This is a good thing! Most adult G. rosea are about as fast as a lump of dirt and half as aggressive. Mine lets me shove tongs right under its face to pick up old cricket parts and is too lazy to do anything about it. Even if you get a cranky one, they still aren't very fast and will be a good sturdy no-handling pet.

Third, C. cyaneopubescens is good...but it's also the fastest and most nervous thing on your list. There are worse species and it is not likely to bite, but as an arachnophobe with zero tarantula experience, it may be a bit much for you. I got mine grown enough to go into her adult-sized tank so I've never had to rehouse her, and even then she's given me some scares. No bite attempts, but she spooks easy and likes to run. And she's much faster than me, that's for sure! {D

If tarantulas make you panic, I advise you to start off with just one of a reasonable size (juvie or adult) and of a slow-moving species. Some weeks with a nice lazy Grammostola that's not so small you worry about breaking it just looking at it should help set you up for expanding your collection. :)

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got most of my spiders as tiny sling (2nd, or 3rd instar), and never had trouble with them. All the extra care they need is to slice mealworms into smaller pieces before feeding them. Although getting just one is a mistake. Slings can be boring. I got myself 4 slings after just a week of staring at my pet-rock B. smithi
If You've got the cash for a bigger one, I would get it anyway. Buy a Brachypelma or G. rosea, because some slings grow really slowly. This way You will have some fun out of the hobby.
As for arachnophobia - I made some major progress since I got my spiders, but I think it was mainly because I gor used to them when they were really small. A shock treatment (I would imagine that buying a big spider would be one) could be a good idea, but my way was different.
I recognize only first 5 of species You've mentioned in Your post, and I would strongly discourage You from buying A. geniculata. It's not the perfect spider for people with phobia. It will rush at You thinking Your a cricket. They attack pretty much anything. The only pro for them is that they're quite slow and clumsy. Still faster then You, though ;)

and, btw, the spiders I enjoyed the most:

N. coloratovillosus
C. fasciatum (heard it's similar in manner to C. cyaneopubescens)
A. versicolor
A. avicularia
B. vagans
B. albopilosum

They shouldn't cause much trouble for You, and should be fun to own.

regards

Last edited:

Thaorius

Arachnopeon

About the 1-2 slings, it's a good and a bad idea at the same time, I live in Argentina, here you can't count on a constant source of anything; which means there is a reasonable chance I'll have a serious problem getting most of the listed Ts in a couple of months. However, I could get the least commonly available ones first(all but rosea and another one, not sure which pretty much).

About the pulchra, how fast is it? it looks pretty, yet I know it will give me that ugly near-panic feeling, and the ones sold are 10cm long pretty much so... well, I just can't afford to have a 10cm+ spider lost on my house.

About cages, haven't yet looked up much info; but I have access to glass, and most of required materials and industrial grade tools needed to build em at dealer cost/free depending on what and how much material; so that should be fairly cheap stuff.

Good to know, I shall capitilize only the genus then :).

Not much to add here at all.
Very thorough, however, if we're going to mention the proper capitalization of a scientific name we should probably also mention that the entire scientific name should also be italicized. IE: Grammostola pulchra. ;)

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is my favourite from the list. :D
All the species you mentioned would be good choices, pick what YOU want.

Also, if you haven't read it yet, I suggest you bookmark this thread:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145454

It will become your best friend.
I didn't know that, I guess that means I'll be re-printing all my current cage labels then ahahahah.

Link bookmarked.

One other tip. You may want to start with an adult tarantula, at least for a few months, before getting into the slings.
I did think of that; shock treatment way pretty much; and I have no problem with it except for the availability problem described above, if I do go this way, I suppose that means a rosea as they seem to be the clumsiest and slowest of my list.

Personally, I would get everything except the G. rosea's. I don't know what it is, but I find this species somewhat dull in all aspects. They eat far too sporadically (for lack of a better term - more like fast for years), their temperaments can be somewhat strange (psycho is the word I'm looking for here) and are... well... boring and take AGES to grow.

One of my favourites (which I own) on your list are the A. geniculata - They grow fast, they grow big, they look spectacular, they are active, and they eat like a starved fat kid at a McDonalds convention.

And definately a G. pulchra - although they take long to grow, it's well worth the wait, they at least eat well.
About the rosea, I'm thinking on the rosea mainly because I keep reading it's ideal for the arachnid noob; out of that I have no real preference.

About the geniculata, it does certainly look pretty.

pulchra? that's 2 vote for the pulcha, I'll ask if they have lings.

If you can afford it and do the proper research, then get them all. Some of the species listed will grow much faster than others so after a couple of years you'll have a variety of different sized Ts (which is a good thing). Oh, and I doubt it's an adult G. rosea if it's 1 year old. As someone mentioned, they grow very slowly.

I'd really recommend getting a real copy of the keeper's guide. Even if you wait a couple of months. You can dip in and out of it whenever you want, even if there's no access to a computer :) .
Then the age was probably wrong in the ad, will inquire.

About prices, I don't know if it cheap, or not, but most lings are averaging the 7USD, except the chroma, which is ~85USD; cages I can get near free, specially since the lings need no "real" cage, but a pre-existing cylindrical container can be reused so...

For a total newbie, I would advise against getting anything under about maybe 2.5 cm. Tiny spiderlings are difficult to interact with, I had a TINY L. parahybana in my first order and I almost couldn't deal with it. It was so small I was afraid I'd squish it while removing uneaten prey, or it would bolt out of the vial and I'd be unable to recapture without hurting it. Rehousing it was an adventure in itself. {D If I could have gone back in time and changed my order, I would have. (This goes double if you are still arachnophobic and will be nervous anyway.)

Second, a 1 year old G. rosea is not going to be an adult. It will still be very tiny. If someone is selling you a grown G. rosea, it's probably closer to five or ten years old or older. This is a good thing! Most adult G. rosea are about as fast as a lump of dirt and half as aggressive. Mine lets me shove tongs right under its face to pick up old cricket parts and is too lazy to do anything about it. Even if you get a cranky one, they still aren't very fast and will be a good sturdy no-handling pet.

Third, C. cyaneopubescens is good...but it's also the fastest and most nervous thing on your list. There are worse species and it is not likely to bite, but as an arachnophobe with zero tarantula experience, it may be a bit much for you. I got mine grown enough to go into her adult-sized tank so I've never had to rehouse her, and even then she's given me some scares. No bite attempts, but she spooks easy and likes to run. And she's much faster than me, that's for sure! {D

If tarantulas make you panic, I advise you to start off with just one of a reasonable size (juvie or adult) and of a slow-moving species. Some weeks with a nice lazy Grammostola that's not so small you worry about breaking it just looking at it should help set you up for expanding your collection. :)
Too bad abouth the chroma, I must say I'm really WOWed by the colors.

About the lings, shouldn't it be easier to deal with them as they have no big fangs?:D. I'm thinking I have no clue where to get food small enough for them, I guess that's covered in the Keeper's Guide.

I got most of my spiders as tiny sling (2nd, or 3rd instar), and never had trouble with them. All the extra care they need is to slice mealworms into smaller pieces before feeding them. Although getting just one is a mistake. Slings can be boring. I got myself 4 slings after just a week of staring at my pet-rock B. smithi
If You've got the cash for a bigger one, I would get it anyway. Buy a Brachypelma or G. rosea, because some slings grow really slowly. This way You will have some fun out of the hobby.
As for arachnophobia - I made some major progress since I got my spiders, but I think it was mainly because I gor used to them when they were really small. A shock treatment (I would imagine that buying a big spider would be one) could be a good idea, but my way was different.
I recognize only first 5 of species You've mentioned in Your post, and I would strongly discourage You from buying A. geniculata. It's not the perfect spider for people with phobia. It will rush at You thinking Your a cricket. They attack pretty much anything. The only pro for them is that they're quite slow and clumsy. Still faster then You, though ;)

and, btw, the spiders I enjoyed the most:

N. coloratovillosus
C. fasciatum (heard it's similar in manner to C. cyaneopubescens)
A. versicolor
A. avicularia
B. vagans
B. albopilosum

They shouldn't cause much trouble for You, and should be fun to own.

regards
I'll inquire about those species, I might actually find a seller.

About the geniculata, even if it's a ling? I mean, by the time it grows I will be used to this 8-leg creatures.

---------

A few more things, what could I use as food? I'm thinking mealworms or zophobas.
Roaches just sicken me(no phobia or anything like that, I just hate them with passion), so I don't want to breed any of those.
Crickets seem to be ideal meal, but how on earth do you put up with the evening singing? I sleep like a corpse, but I don't live alone.
On the other hand, mealworms seem to reproduce very slowly however, so I'll probably need a gazillion of them to start a colony, they are priced at 2USD per hundred more or less so that shouldn't be a problem.

Speaking of substrate, I found a dealer who sells imported sphagnum rather cheap. Does it make a good substrate? or should I use something else?
Does newspaper work on Ts like it does for my pretty snakes?

About lings, what do I feed them with? I mean, everything is too big...

About the Keeper's Guide, I didn't find a digital copy so I bought a hard copy from an UK bookstore that promises to deliver in 7-14 days and doesn't charge for shipping(the book was 17USD against 12USD on amazon, so I guess that's the shipping fee); we'll see how much truth there is to that shipping time.

Oh, and one more, until I read the book and more information on the net, I need an idea, how ofter and how much do I have to feed my Ts? My snakes eat once a week on average, which comes in very handy.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Food: mealworms aren't a bad idea but they have that annoying habit of burrowing...what I did with my slings is I cut them in half...the half with their head moved just enough for the sling to know it was there but it wasn't able to burrow...I've since moved on to baby crickets...For the chirping, you can clip their wings, I find they don't live as long so just feed your T the clipped ones first. It's really up to you how often you want to feed, and whether or not you want to powerfeed. Slings should eat a couple times a week at least - keep an eye on their abdomen and if you notice it shrinking, throw in a cricket.

Newspaper probably isn't a good idea...it doesn't hold in humidity, and T's use their substrate for a lot of things: webbing, burrowing. If you're considering a G. pulchra then you definitely need substrate....my 1" sling is a crazy burrower. The best substrates are good, clean potting soil (organic) or cocofibre IMO...other people will suggest other substrates, but depending on how moisture-dependent your T is going to be, you may have a mold problem using just sphagnum.

Good luck

Twistedrayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think you wanna go with the Rosie sling. They grow pretty slow. I'd suggest just getting the adult rosie and possibly a few of the others.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as for mealworms - up till now I failed to breed those. I have a semi-colony of crickets, that doesn't reproduce fast enough, thus I'm still dependent on stores. I've seen mealworms that could be split into meals for 3, if not 4 slings. If the spiders is big enough to eat an entire mealworm (if the bug is smaller than the spider's body - then you're ok) - just crash the larvas head. It will not burrow, and should die within an hour. Sometimes the movement it makes before death is enough to attract the spider. If not - remove it after 24h so it will not rot in the terrarium.

As for feeding - I feed my spiders every 3 days until they're fat. You shouldn't feed spiders that are preparing for a molt (hiding a lot often than usual, not sitting in front of the hide waiting for prey, with they're abdomen darkening and "shining") because they shouldn't be bothered during that period. It is advised to wait for at least a week after molt before feeding. The spider would still be soft, and could hurt itself fighting. This length changes depending on spider's size - small slings could probably be fed 2 days after molting, but it's better to be safe, than sorry. As for larger specimen - You determin the time, judging by the look of the fangs. If they're black - they've hardened enough, and You can feed Your spider.

Tarantulas need a soil of some sort. There's pretty much no way to go around this. Chemical-free potting soil should be fine, but I use coco-fiber.

I mentioned the problem with geniculata with no intention of "forbidding" You to buy one. In fact - I do not have any idea how You react to spiders. What I thought was that there's plenty of them in trade, so getting something else for the beginning could be a better idea. My friend's geniculata turned aggressive after 7th molt. That's pretty early for me (I'd say - probably after 6 months). It's not unmanageable, but it gives him a hard time. If You're ready to experience a spiders charge, that You must not defend Yourself against (for the sake of spider, of coarse), then it's all right. I'm worried only about Your reaction. The spider is unlikely to actually bit You. You would have had to put Your hands on its way.

Last edited:

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The G. pulchra move slow, don't really need to worry about that thing bolting away like some other Ts. If you get slings, mealworms will work for awhile; just prekill them and cut them into a good size for the T. When they get bigger, mealworms make a bad live prey due to burrowing; it is hard for the T to find them.

I mentioned cages as I wanted to prevent you from putting a tiny sling into a massive, escapeable cage (I did it with my first T, then found this site and corrected it).

Newspaper would not work out well, beyond the previous stated reasons, I don't know if the ink would affect Ts.

Do some searches for more indepth threads about substrate if you are interested in the full debate. To condense it: I like Coconut noir, Others like other things. If the T looks like it is doing fine and webbing, and in the case of slings burrowing, it is mostly a personal thing.

Thaorius

Arachnopeon
By potting soil you mean good old organic soil? this stuff:

I can't seem to find a seller for coco fiber.
More suggestions welcome :).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
one thing... on most hobby boards i frequent we measure spiders by their diagonal leg span (DLS). that is, when they are standing on the ground we measure from the tip of the front foot to the tip of the *opposite side* back foot. some people do measure tarantulas by body length (BL) (from the front of their "face", but not counting the fang parts, to the back of their "butt"). which method is being used makes a fair bit of difference! a tarantula that is 2cm BL could be 4+cm DLS!

Chromatopelma cyanopubescens are absolutely gorgeous as slings... but they are pretty quick and flighty. if you are uncomfortable with spiders they will be a mixed bag... beautiful but maybe have some "thrills" in store for you because of their quickness. they seem to be somewhat difficult to breed, so that is partly why they are expensive. the gorgeousness is the other =P

G. pulchra are awesome spiders. they get to a pretty nice size, something like 13-15cm diagonal leg span is not unreasonable. they grow faster than G. rosea... but they are still not extremely fast growers.

Acanthoscurria geniculata do grow pretty darn fast and are nice looking... but the can get an attitude when they get somewhat grown up. of course, that will be probably like a year in the future for the size you are talking about there. they did seem a little quicker to bolt away when they were slings than some of my other, calmer species

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
About the lings, shouldn't it be easier to deal with them as they have no big fangs?:D.
Spiderlings can still bite you. :D Your mileage may vary, but besides my C. cyaneopubescens I've never been half as uneasy working with my 1-2 inch or bigger tarantulas as I was with the teeny tiny ones. They're just very easy to lose, break, or have problems "herding" from one container to another when you're rehousing. My parahybana kept freaking out and trying to zoom out of its vial every time I tried to water or feed it, lol.

I understand that your tarantula supply is unreliable, so in the end if there's something you REALLY want by all means you should go for it. I'm just saying, you don't really understand how teeny and frail the little guys are until they're already in front of you. :) Herding a 2-4" tarantula into a box, or keeping track of its location in the enclosure while you do maintenance, is a lot less of a headache. As long as you aren't sticking your fingers in its face, the fangs shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thaorius

Arachnopeon
I found new species being sold, including the Haplopelma lividum thingy. I have to say it's so pretty..., but I've heard it's also very aggressive and burrows once it settles and you never see it again so...

Also, found some more species, I'm about to google them, but I'd love some feedback as some as very pretty, specially the B. emilia and H. lividum but at the same time, like the lividum very not noob-friendly.

Grammostola pulchra (lings)
Phormictopus cancerides
Brachypelma emilia
Haplopelma lividum
Tapinauchenius gigas
Cyripagopus paganus
Aphonopelma seemani
Poeciloteria regalis
Lasiodora parahybana
Gramostola mendozae

Also, most sellers don't want to tell me their full list... unless I buy some of their current ones first ¬¬.

About the size(DLS & BL), I'm pretty sure most of the sizes I gave are BL based, but there is no specification most of the time, so I don't really know.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dont have much experience with many of the known species as i mostly kept wild caught so far and scorpions.
Anyway on the 10th of January i recieved my first 2 slings , a C. crawshayi and a B. vagans. The C. crawshayi was veeery hard to deal with and for a newbie it was very annoying worrying all the time if it will survive or not. But for the past week i have no idea where it is coz it escaped (for the second time:s)
My B. Vagans though is absolutely fantastic:D It grows very fast (it molted twice since January and almost tripled the size it had when i first got it) It will eat anything/anytime :D and of wot ive heard they are great starter T's.
So i would deffinetly recomend this species if u have it on ur list:D
Good luck!

Ps: Its in premolt again:p

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All the species you mentioned would be good choices, pick what YOU want.

Also, if you haven't read it yet, I suggest you bookmark this thread:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145454

It will become your best friend.
If you check out the thread that etown posted for you,it will answer all your questions,or most of them and educate you at the same time.Another member Xhexdx spent a lot of time gathering the information and put it in one easy thread so it could all be accessed in one place and save people the time of looking for each individual thread.Best of luck to you.