First tarantula(s), few questions and recommendation needed

Thaorius

Arachnopeon
EDIT: What on earth happened to etown's post? quote;
Thao... you do realize, don't you that there are literally hundreds of species of tarantula in captivity? Why don't you just get on with reading about them. Read through the many resources available to you right here at this site instead of asking everybody to do footwork for you. I mean, Cyripagopus paganus? Grammostola mendozae? Good luck ever finding those. Why don't you go ahead and grab a few M balfouri and a E olivacea while you're at it?

If you're just flipping through pictures on them interwebs and saying "that's pretty" and "oooh so is that" your getting nowhere. Read the material Joe (xhexhd) already accumulated on this exact subject and just make a decision already. Do you have any idea how many hundreds of times this subject has been covered before?

Sorry if I sound harsh but... dang, what good is doing research if you just recycle everything you've read into another question here in this thread?

Ok, i'm done. Sorry to be the A-hole.
I just wanted an opinion on the species, I can very well do my own research, and I will. I just wanted a few personal experiences.

And no, I'm not flipping pictures, I'm finding sellers and compiling names and I find a picture or 2 on Google while I'm at it to get an idea of what the particular T looks like.

Also, you make it sound like those are hard to find species, how was I supposed to know that? I just saw them on sell and saved a name and a link; to me the names mean absolutely nothing just yet(speaking of which, those 2 Ts you threw in look pretty damn nice).

And yes, I am reading all over the web and some links on the forum, I just rather wait for that book I bought to arrive before I get "hands on" on Ts, after all, why on earth did I buy a book if I'm not gonna use it, right?

I'm just over-excited and wanted some early feedback, sorry if I made you think I want you to make my footwork, that's not the case. I pay people to do that when I need to.

Again, sorry, just wanted some personal expiriences.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I deleted the post because in retrospect it was too harsh. I was misdirecting some frustration about something her at work. Sorry bout that.

However, I think my point remans valid. Like you said, you're excited about the tarantulas and all but you do all this research then ask all these questions... more research, more questions... more questions...

Just take the plunge. The sooner you have those T's in your posession the sooner you'll begin learning about them yourself. There are SO many species available, ther's no best one. There's not even a top ten.

Prioritize this way:

A-What type: Arboreal, terrestrial, burrowing

B-What temperament: mean, cuddly, skittish, brave, bump-on-a-log

C-Color/appearance

D-Price

People make a mistake when they look at pictures first THEN look at the other factors. It's like buying a car. You want an SUV, now decide if you want a big gas guzzler or a mid-size one. Now do you want a honda or a ford, now which model...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
did you *really* just tell someone to stop researching and just get a tarantula

if i search am i going to find posts tyelling someone they didn't do enough research?

to Thaorius
ask all the questions you want. you seem like a smart, curious person and obviously there are people that want to answer you and talk with you. if ppl are telling you stop asking questions then you can always add them to your ignore list and just read useful answers

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, I'm in the process of buying one or more tarantulas, and I have a few questions, but first, little back end story(you may skip ahead, it's not required that you read it):

The species I have found a seller for, are the following:
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (ling, 3cm)
Acanthoscurria Geniculata (ling, 2cm)
Grammostola Rosea (1 year adult - ling, 1/1.5cm)
Grammostola Pulcrha (age unknown, 9/10cm, black or brown)
Grammostola Aureostriata (ling, 1cm)
Eupalaestrus Campestratus (ling, 0.75cm)
Vitalius Paranaensis (ling, 0.5/1cm)

I'm thinking on getting the following:
1) Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (ling, 3cm)
1) Acanthoscurria Geniculata (ling, 2cm)
1) Grammostola Rosea (1 year adult)
1) Grammostola Rosea (ling, 1/1.5cm)
2) Grammostola Aureostriata (ling, 1cm)
1) Eupalaestrus Campestratus (ling, 0.75cm)
1) Vitalius Paranaensis (ling, 0.5/1cm)

So I wanted an opinion on my selection, as well as some recommendation if you have any. Also, I'm thinking 8 Ts is kind of an overkill, but there is only one adult so...

Another thing, I was looking for a good book on Ts last night and came across "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide", which seems to be somewhat of a "must read". I was unable to find an ebook version of it(don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a warez download, just a digital version instead of paper as delivery time would be 1-2 months from amazon(average) and I just can't wait that long). If you know where I could get a digital copy, I would really appreciate a link.
I am still fairly new to the hobby and i have one E. campestratus and two G. aureostriata,plus one G.pulchra,all purchased as slings and i have enjoyed watching them grow and learning about them.I don`t think you could go wrong purchasing any one of them.Best of luck with your choices.I will suggest to look around for pricing on the E.campestratus as they do not seem as available as most others.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh.And eight T`s isn`t overkill.One you get your first one you will be surprised how fast your collection will grow.:)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
did you *really* just tell someone to stop researching and just get a tarantula

if i search am i going to find posts tyelling someone they didn't do enough research?
I did and I'm a bit ashamed of it. :eek: It just looks like our new member Thaorius here has done all the research he needs to to go ahead and buy a few T's. To further belabour the decision with more research on more species and all that is just going to be confusing to him I think. There's a point where to really absorb any more data you need to see what you've read in actual application. As in having T's in your house to take care of.

Thaorius, again I apologize for being an ass. Your intuitiveness and obvious intelligence is most certainly welcome here. Keep asking questons and keep learning, it's refreshing to see. Just be aware that, unlike other sciences, there isn't always an absolute answer with tarantula keeping. There's no best tarantula, no best substrate, no single perfect way to keep this species or that. We hobbyists really are at the leading edge of learning about tarantula keeping. There are only a very few true arachnologists studying theraphosids (tarantulas) in the world today. In spite of everything I've learned from other members here at AB I've learned much more through trial and error at my own house with my own spiders.

I think you'll make a great addition to our hobby and our community here at AB.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I did and I'm a bit ashamed of it. :eek: It just looks like our new member Thaorius here has done all the research he needs to to go ahead and buy a few T's. To further belabour the decision with more research on more species and all that is just going to be confusing to him I think. There's a point where to really absorb any more data you need to see what you've read in actual application. As in having T's in your house to take care of.

Thaorius, again I apologize for being an ass. Your intuitiveness and obvious intelligence is most certainly welcome here. Keep asking questons and keep learning, it's refreshing to see. Just be aware that, unlike other sciences, there isn't always an absolute answer with tarantula keeping. There's no best tarantula, no best substrate, no single perfect way to keep this species or that. We hobbyists really are at the leading edge of learning about tarantula keeping. There are only a very few true arachnologists studying theraphosids (tarantulas) in the world today. In spite of everything I've learned from other members here at AB I've learned much more through trial and error at my own house with my own spiders.

I think you'll make a great addition to our hobby and our community here at AB.
A gracious post sir. Certainly refreshing to read around here lately. Kudos mate.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i definitely agree with the too much info can be overwhelming, etown!

but, i think since the poster is a little uncomfortable with spiders this is part of the process of getting ready to be keeping one

some 'phobes can't even look at pictures of stuff... this person probably isn't phobic by formal definition but probably needs time to adjust before taking the final plunge :)

Thaorius

Arachnopeon
Don't worry about it etown, we all have bad days ;).

JC50, added the E. campestratus to the wanted list.

cacoseraph, I honestly don't know what it is, I mean, I'm usually at easy on every situation, hardly ever get nervous, yet arachnids make me very nervous and I know if it was a little bit worse I could define it as a panic attack, but at the same time is odd. I've touched a T through a trans lucid tape(the glass on the terrarium was broken in the corner and had some tape covering and it was interesting, no nervousness; but then, there was a tape physically isolating the T...

About T keeping not being an exact science, I supposed it wouldn't be, it never is ahahahah. For instance, when I got my first snake, I read all over the net that the species was a little irritable it's first few months; that I would probably get striked at by the snake; this happened, only once, after getting the snake from the bus station(well, can you expect him to be any happy after a 20h bus ride?), then he like magic got used to me; now he watches tv with me. This pretty much means, each snake is a whole different world, they have personalities. Hopefully, Ts will be the same. Where would the fun be otherwise, hu? :).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cacoseraph, I honestly don't know what it is, I mean, I'm usually at easy on every situation, hardly ever get nervous, yet arachnids make me very nervous and I know if it was a little bit worse I could define it as a panic attack, but at the same time is odd. I've touched a T through a trans lucid tape(the glass on the terrarium was broken in the corner and had some tape covering and it was interesting, no nervousness; but then, there was a tape physically isolating the T...
it is quite common for someone to be uncomfortable around bugs. you are basically going to reprogram yourself. i understand the basic concept, i think.
essentially you are having unregulated (or at least, involuntary) kind of flight or fight response to spiders. i believe some part of you sees them as a threat and gets you ready to either kill it or run away.

the nice thing is that our brains and bodies are EXTREMELY adaptable! what you are going to be doing to yourself is essentially training your brain that they are not a threat and that no immediate action need be taken to relieve the perceived threat. your brain can't keep hitting your bod's turbo button... your body can't stay in high alert mode for very long at a stretch. so, basically the stimulus of spiders gets like, associated with a non-emergency state of your body... and eventually your brain stops triggering the flight or fight response.

dang, i recall you are not an english as primary language... it is hard to remember that from your posts =P i hope that is not horribly confusing

oh, and caveat emptor: i am not a doctor nor do i hold any degrees in anything... so i could be wrong

Miz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About T keeping not being an exact science, I supposed it wouldn't be, it never is ahahahah. For instance, when I got my first snake, I read all over the net that the species was a little irritable it's first few months; that I would probably get striked at by the snake; this happened, only once, after getting the snake from the bus station(well, can you expect him to be any happy after a 20h bus ride?), then he like magic got used to me; now he watches tv with me. This pretty much means, each snake is a whole different world, they have personalities. Hopefully, Ts will be the same. Where would the fun be otherwise, hu? :).
You are exactly right. The whole reason I got my G. rosea was beause they are just soooooo docile and super nice....and... wait was that a threat pose?

Certain species can be described to a certain extent, but Ts are individuals. Some people can't go near their OBTs without them being defensive, and some people handle them like they're just cute fluffy little things (excuse the exaggeration, but you get it) Caring for them is just the same. I keep reading about how you shouldn't give a G. rosea damp substrate, but mine spends a great deal of her time doing her happy dance on the wet side of her tank. In short, research is a great thing, but eventually you will see that everything you taught yourself about species A or B gets thrown out the window every once in a while.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't worry about it etown, we all have bad days ;).

JC50, added the E. campestratus to the wanted list.

I for one can completely understand where you are coming from.I was at one point extremely afraid of spiders and really hated myself for letting them get too me like they did.I decided to try to get over my fear of them by getting some of the more docile species as slings because they are not as intimidating as a larger spider would be.I guess for me it was the fear of one biting me and their fast movements,but i can happily say that that fear is pretty much gone.I still respect and realize the fact that any one of them can bite me,but through education and ownership i now understand them and look at them as pets and not in the manner i did before when they terrified me.I am addicted to the hobby and now own 16 T`s and really enjoy them and have even handled them without fearing them,so i am living proof that you can get over the misconceptions and fears if you take small steps and retrain your mind.