First molt

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
help!!!! My T molted for the first time and acting weird. The front legs are kind of wonky when moving and then there’s the fangs. It’s like there’s something on them and I can’t tell what. Any help would be awesome I do t want it to die

The Seraph

Arachnolord
help!!!! My T molted for the first time and acting weird. The front legs are kind of wonky when moving and then there’s the fangs. It’s like there’s something on them and I can’t tell what. Any help would be awesome I do t want it to die
Post a picture. They are very helpful.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
The legs could likely be dropped by the tarantula, as for the fangs is it a clear liquid? Pictures may help in this instance.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Ok! I know you’re not supposed to handle them or mess with them but this was the only way I could think of to show what’s wrong. And the legs king of bend in and moved weird when moving. I did see it drinking so hopefully that’s a good sign.
I tried uploading a video but I think it’s too big.

Attachments

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Ok! I know you’re not supposed to handle them or mess with them but this was the only way I could think of to show what’s wrong. And the legs king of bend in and moved weird when moving. I did see it drinking so hopefully that’s a good sign.
I tried uploading a video but I think it’s too big.
The legs do look a bit crooked, almost looks like the chelicerae didn’t come completely off with the molt. Is there any way you could get a pic of its underside? I wouldn’t try grabbing it and flipping it over since it did just molt, but if you could catch a photo of it on the glass or something, that would be helpful

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
The legs do look a bit crooked, almost looks like the chelicerae didn’t come completely off with the molt. Is there any way you could get a pic of its underside? I wouldn’t try grabbing it and flipping it over since it did just molt, but if you could catch a photo of it on the glass or something, that would be helpful
I can try! Will the legs be fixed next molt and what do I do about the chelicerae if it indeed didn’t come off completely?

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
This is the best I could do. I’m at a loss as to how to get the old chelicerae off.
First I’d try using a soft brush or something of that nature to try to loosen the chelicerae off. If that doesn’t work...
@cold blood
You’re very knowledgeable and experienced. What would you do in this situation? I would say just leave it be, but I feel like it might impede on the sling’s ability to catch prey and/or eat. I feel like it would get in the way, even if it can use its left fang.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Use a moistened cotton swab to see if you can gently get the old chelicerae off. They are mostly off, so it should work.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Use a moistened cotton swab to see if you can gently get the old chelicerae off. They are mostly off, so it should work.
I tried that. But since it’s firdt molt I didn’t want to mess with it to too much. And it didn’t really like me trying to touch it’s face. Cause of course it’s in a hard to reach/touch area.

cold blood

Staff member
I’ve been dabbing water on the chelicerae periodically since last night. I’m tying to not stress it out.
the longer you wait the harder it will be...it shouldnt take that long to soften things up.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
I have tried all that I can without harming the T. I don’t want to just pull things off and whatnot. So as of right now I’m going to try and make “mealworm soup” and put that in the water bowl as well. I just hope it can hang on til the next molt and everything go smoother next time

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Try using some small tweezers to grab the molt and see if the spider can pull itself off. Don’t do any pulling yourself, just see if it can successfully separate itself. Also dab some warm (NOT hot) water on the area while doing that.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Try using some small tweezers to grab the molt and see if the spider can pull itself off. Don’t do any pulling yourself, just see if it can successfully separate itself. Also dab some warm (NOT hot) water on the area while doing that.
That’s what I did and I got some off but not all I believe. I’m just hoping the one fang isn’t damaged, and if it is then the mealworm soup will help get it to the next molt.

cold blood

Staff member
Damaged fangs can grow back, if there's molt blocking the mouthparts, its not going to be able to eat or drink anything no matter what you do....not unblocking it is a death sentence....if it dies in the process, at least you tried...they all cant be saved....but even then, the experience here could save another down the line.

Honestly success can be hard the first time or three...but the experiences help immensly down the line.

Best of luck.

Anubis2

Arachnosquire
Damaged fangs can grow back, if there's molt blocking the mouthparts, its not going to be able to eat or drink anything no matter what you do....not unblocking it is a death sentence....if it dies in the process, at least you tried...they all cant be saved....but even then, the experience here could save another down the line.

Honestly success can be hard the first time or three...but the experiences help immensly down the line.

Best of luck.
How can I tell if there’s mold blocking the moth piece?
I appreciate all the advise and help and hope things work out. But if they don’t, I agree, this can help down the way.