First ever sling arriving on Friday and I'm super nervous

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
I feel your pain. Last week I was in your shoes, but you’re in the rite place. You’ll see once your sling arrives it will basically react how everyone with experience in this forum says it will act. Now I don’t know where you did your research or the main web sites you got your info from, but I learned quickly that online care sheets doesn’t supply you with the best knowledge. Here on AB you’ll learn all you need to kno, as I still am, & honestly I feel like you need no other source to learn & grow from. These guys are the best, hands down!!!

scifigetsmehigh

Arachnopeon
If you're on Android then there's a great little app called Tarantulas on the Play store that lets you track all of that
I'm on an iPhone sadly, but I'll copy the information from the screencaps below into a notebook.

I think I'd prefer hard copies anyway. Future proof and all that.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Lol not much to really worry about too much. Terrestrial tanks that will literally seek food like a sidewinder missile. I love my Pulchra. I love all my spooders!!

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
It doesn't provide a lot of information about species; it's mainly a tool for you to keep records.

This is what the input screen looks like when adding a new tarantula.
View attachment 316729 View attachment 316730

And this is what the list looks like (I just added one for demonstration purposes).
View attachment 316731
This looks like a good app, will have to give it a try now I'm a cool kid with an android phone. RIP my windows phone, we had 7 wonderful years together! :p

Kitara

Arachnodemon
We are noobies too and also have a g. pulchra sling that we got in May. I never see it talked about, but getting it out of the packing material was the hardest part so far! That tiny little bugger did not want to leave. Everything after that has been a piece of cake. It is about 3.5cm now and just the cutest thing. And yes, it is normal to freak out about everything lol. My current freak out is that her butt is too big because I have fed her too much.

scifigetsmehigh

Arachnopeon
We are noobies too and also have a g. pulchra sling that we got in May. I never see it talked about, but getting it out of the packing material was the hardest part so far! That tiny little bugger did not want to leave. Everything after that has been a piece of cake. It is about 3.5cm now and just the cutest thing. And yes, it is normal to freak out about everything lol. My current freak out is that her butt is too big because I have fed her too much.
Do you feed yours live food? I've been wondering a lot about whether pre-killed is better.

What's your experience?

Arachnathulu

Arachnopeon
Do you feed yours live food? I've been wondering a lot about whether pre-killed is better.

What's your experience?
My L.P.'s are currently 4th instar. I'm feeding pre molt Dubia nymphs, they get folded in half and placed on their backs. They could probably manage one that isn't crushed, but I'd rather do the work myself just in case their is a struggle. Dubia can be surprisingly strong. I don't want to risk anything. I'd say Dubia can be a pain to feed. They like to burrow and play dead. If you put them on their back though... Then they can't have a problem getting themselves upright, and it creates quite the show. So no matter who is getting lunched, the Dubia goes on its back. If you're in the hobby for any longer than a month the chances of you getting more spiders will likely increase. You will get bored with the one, and you will most certainly be encouraged to get more. When that time comes I would consider that you think about setting up your own food source. Dubia can be easy for that. If not a bit frustrating. They have a three year life cycle and it may take up to 3 months before you see any babies. They are expensive though. I have a beginner guide to rehousing on my YouTube page.

scifigetsmehigh

Arachnopeon
My L.P.'s are currently 4th instar. I'm feeding pre molt Dubia nymphs, they get folded in half and placed on their backs. They could probably manage one that isn't crushed, but I'd rather do the work myself just in case their is a struggle. Dubia can be surprisingly strong. I don't want to risk anything. I'd say Dubia can be a pain to feed. They like to burrow and play dead. If you put them on their back though... Then they can't have a problem getting themselves upright, and it creates quite the show. So no matter who is getting lunched, the Dubia goes on its back. If you're in the hobby for any longer than a month the chances of you getting more spiders will likely increase. You will get bored with the one, and you will most certainly be encouraged to get more. When that time comes I would consider that you think about setting up your own food source. Dubia can be easy for that. If not a bit frustrating. They have a three year life cycle and it may take up to 3 months before you see any babies. They are expensive though. I have a beginner guide to rehousing on my YouTube page.
I ordered some micro crickets along with the sling, and my local pet shop (a very good independent one run buy a guy who knows what he's doing) carries various types of worm and locust. Should I try feeding the sling a tiny live cricket and see if it handles it well, or just go straight in with the head crushing?

I read that the best type of feeder to keep and breed yourself is the Lateralis roach, since they are not burrowers and the nymphs are perfect for slings. Have you had much experience with these?

Thanks,
J

Arachnathulu

Arachnopeon
I ordered some micro crickets along with the sling, and my local pet shop (a very good independent one run buy a guy who knows what he's doing) carries various types of worm and locust. Should I try feeding the sling a tiny live cricket and see if it handles it well, or just go straight in with the head crushing?

I read that the best type of feeder to keep and breed yourself is the Lateralis roach, since they are not burrowers and the nymphs are perfect for slings. Have you had much experience with these?

Thanks,
J
Crickets are absute savages. There's a posted on exotics lair where crickets almost completely strip all the muscle from the head of a house gecko. The way it appears on the video this happened within a 24 hour period. A third instar sling will be smaller that a nickel, and although the sling maybe hearty, I don't think I'd risk it. Don't underestimate crickets they have complex mouth parts and can do damage. I would crush them for sure. As far as lateralis roaches are concerned, I have no experience with them, and I can't comment much. I would definitely crush them too. They baby tarantulas will scavenge whatever they need. I think access to fresh clean water is more important at this stage.

scifigetsmehigh

Arachnopeon
Crickets are absute savages. There's a posted on exotics lair where crickets almost completely strip all the muscle from the head of a house gecko. The way it appears on the video this happened within a 24 hour period. A third instar sling will be smaller that a nickel, and although the sling maybe hearty, I don't think I'd risk it. Don't underestimate crickets they have complex mouth parts and can do damage. I would crush them for sure. As far as lateralis roaches are concerned, I have no experience with them, and I can't comment much. I would definitely crush them too. They baby tarantulas will scavenge whatever they need. I think access to fresh clean water is more important at this stage.
Ok, noted. Thanks for your input.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Oh yeah I definitely do feed live, but mine was about 2.5cm when I got it so a bit bigger than yours is expected to be. I cannot bring myself to crush heads or chop up superworms. Although, superworms are SUUUUPER easy to keep. Like literally have to do nothing. I started with pinhead b. lateralis and they've grown with the sling so now it's still eating b. lats, but they're a little bigger. They are my favorite feeder. They don't burrow, they don't chew on my T, they don't smell, they don't chirp, they don't die, AND they run around like crazy and my Ts think that is the bestest fun ever. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate cockroaches, but turns out I hate crickets more so I deal with the b. lats. I was so excited to find out my reptile shop sells pinhead crickets so I bought about 20 of them. They ALL died within three days. Those little jerks couldn't even stay alive for one feeding. I hate them.

I'm ordering a 2cm sling today (b. smithi) so I'm afraid I'm going to have to get over myself and learn how to chop superworms. :vomit: That's really the only thing keeping me from submitting the order. Oh please, please, please let it eat pinhead b. lats. Pleeeeeese!!

scifigetsmehigh

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah I definitely do feed live, but mine was about 2.5cm when I got it so a bit bigger than yours is expected to be. I cannot bring myself to crush heads or chop up superworms. Although, superworms are SUUUUPER easy to keep. Like literally have to do nothing. I started with pinhead b. lateralis and they've grown with the sling so now it's still eating b. lats, but they're a little bigger. They are my favorite feeder. They don't burrow, they don't chew on my T, they don't smell, they don't chirp, they don't die, AND they run around like crazy and my Ts think that is the bestest fun ever. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate cockroaches, but turns out I hate crickets more so I deal with the b. lats. I was so excited to find out my reptile shop sells pinhead crickets so I bought about 20 of them. They ALL died within three days. Those little jerks couldn't even stay alive for one feeding. I hate them.

I'm ordering a 2cm sling today (b. smithi) so I'm afraid I'm going to have to get over myself and learn how to chop superworms. :vomit: That's really the only thing keeping me from submitting the order. Oh please, please, please let it eat pinhead b. lats. Pleeeeeese!!
Thanks a lot for the reply, I'll probably get some waxworms or something the next time I'm in the shop if the crickets all die like you said, but I'd like to start a small colony of the Lateralis roach since I hear so many good things about them and you just cofirmed it for me - cheers.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I started with slings. They're not very difficult if you get a hardy species. Yes, sometimes they die for what seems like no reason, but that's very rare. The problem with only having one sling is that you over-think things and obsess over it.
off topic but I just noticed your avatar and wow <3

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Off topic a bit but if you have a Mac desktop/laptop you can also use the Tarantulas app, just need an emulator. (also free) I filled in every little detail for one of my T's and then got distracted and haven't been back to it. I went back to my paper journal, instead.

DancingHare

Arachnopeon
From one noob to another, maybe start a journal to track things like feeding, watering and molting etc. Even though you'll only have one, it's still a good practice. You'll get more if you're already looking at a second :)
I have little notebooks (about 2x3 inches) for each of my tarantulas to record feeding, molts, etc. You can use an app or spreadsheet on the computer too if you want, probably necessary when you start getting into double digits! But for now it works for me.

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
but I'd like to start a small colony of the Lateralis roach
Make sure you have enuff T’s first, I read that those things reproduce at a super fast rate, you have guys who can’t give enuff of them roaches away let alone feeding them off to your T’s. You’ll need a nice sized collection of T’s, so I’ve heard.

scifigetsmehigh

Arachnopeon
House in a condiment cup (I save the ones I get sent whenever I order Indian food) with slightly moist (not wet) substrate, feed once a week and you're good. Once it passes 1.5" you can keep it on dry substrate with a water dish.

View attachment 316685
So the spider arrives tomorrow and I just set up the enclosure. It's 10cm x 8cm x 6cm and the coco fibre is moist but not wet. No water dish because the tub is so small but I will keep the far corner moist.

Does this look ok? It's my first ever attempt so if I need to make any changes please let me know.

Oh and the plant is a plastic one from ikea (washed first in plain hot water).

Edit: I meant Friday, not tomorrow. Getting ahead of myself lol.

off topic but I just noticed your avatar and wow <3
Haha yes I love Warcraft and I'm an arachnoPEON so it made sense :pompous:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
So the spider arrives tomorrow and I just set up the enclosure. It's 10cm x 8cm x 6cm and the coco fibre is moist but not wet. No water dish because the tub is so small but I will keep the far corner moist.

Does this look ok? It's my first ever attempt so if I need to make any changes please let me know.

Oh and the plant is a plastic one from ikea (washed first in plain hot water).

Edit: I meant Friday, not tomorrow. Getting ahead of myself lol.
I believe you have enuff space for a small water dish. More experienced keepers will tell you slings need additional moisture as opposed to their older counterparts. It’s better to have access to water than not, even if your T doesn’t drink it I believe it will still benefit from the moisture in the air that the water dish provides. Especially when it’s time to molt. Try using a small Lego block, it should fit in your enclosure... here’s a look at mine

Attachments

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
Every time you post that picture I squeal like a little girl. It is just the CUTEST and I just love it, love it. :shy:
I’m mad I missed one yesterday, I witnessed her drinking water from the LEGO block. Think I spooked her with the sudden fast movement to grab my camera :banghead: