Feeding questions I forgot to ask

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
They just smell bad.
They seem to only really thrive with higher humidity so a colony can develop quite the odor.

I just like hot glue. It's non toxic and comes off as easy as it goes on. It's like the painter's tape of glue.

Most feeder roaches will have a difficult time establishing themselves in the northeast but we should always be careful.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
They just smell bad.
They seem to only really thrive with higher humidity so a colony can develop quite the odor.

I just like hot glue. It's non toxic and comes off as easy as it goes on. It's like the painter's tape of glue.

Most feeder roaches will have a difficult time establishing themselves in the northeast but we should always be careful.
Do they make the enclosure smell? What other feeders can I use that are found in a LPS?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Do they make the enclosure smell? What other feeders can I use that are found in a LPS?
No. But hundreds or thousands in a closed space are pretty rank. Not saying any species of roach smells great but the less moisture the better. Runners beat goblins that way for sure.

Crickets are the staple feeder in most pet shops.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
@ReleaseTheQuacken having just one Tarantula isn't worth keeping feeders or roaches, at ALL. When you have 20+ tarantulas it becomes beneficial but if you keep feeders for just one T you'll just be taking care of them more than you do your tarantula and you'll have too many you don't know what to do with.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
@ReleaseTheQuacken having just one Tarantula isn't worth keeping feeders or roaches, at ALL. When you have 20+ tarantulas it becomes beneficial but if you keep feeders for just one T you'll just be taking care of them more than you do your tarantula and you'll have too many you don't know what to do with.
I have a bearded dragon so I don't mind getting extra insects. 🤣

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
No. But hundreds or thousands in a closed space are pretty rank. Not saying any species of roach smells great but the less moisture the better. Runners beat goblins that way for sure.

Crickets are the staple feeder in most pet shops.
what other roaches do LPS carry? I do deal with dragon poop every so often... even if you clean it instantly as she drops it, the moment it falls on the enclosure the stench permeattes everything. Stinkiest reptile I ever cared for... and I've well cared for quite a variety. Still love her, just would not own more than 1 dragon.

Also to anyone reading this. She started to web up her enclosure. I havent been in my room for most of the day and I see her webbing things. I found the roach near the front of the enclosure hiding under the thermostat, I was dropping in a leaf of arugula and decided to just drop the feeder near the tarantula. I do not see the feeder but i saw the tarantula move. I am so excited to know she's doing well. She has taken 0 interest in digging anywhere or hiding under the hide. I am very pleased.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Near me, no one has roaches.
It's crickets and mealworms wherever you go.
Same. Never seen dubias or other roaches at LPS. Mealworms and crickets here. Mostly it's like that everywhere unless there's a specialty breeder in your area at a small mom and pop reptile shop.

I order red runners from Jamie's.