Feeding questions I forgot to ask

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
They also burrow, are hard to kill and don't elicit great feeding responses... Even when fully intact. They seem to stick to their ribs when taken but I've found that I've moved further and further away from dubias as time's gone on. Again, mileage may vary
I've had roaches become footrests, literally with some species.Mind you mine are fed 99.9% crix. And dubias I've had elicited no feeding response by some of mine. Not saying don't use them.
You're both completely right, but as someone who feeds 90% dubias, I always crush the heads. No more burrowing, no freezing in place for hours; they just wander around like delectable little zombies until the movements attract the T. It's gross and a little more work, but my critters all like them and as DomGom said they really put some meat on those nonexistent bones 🤣

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Hey I know you guys said not to leave food items longer than 24 hours.

For ease of collecting, is it okay to offer a 3 inch tarantula prekilled items? The only flaw I realized to my enclosure is retreiving prey items. 🤣😭
For the species you showed for your enclosure you built, you can just go in and get them out. If you have an OW then it gets more cautious but for a new world generally you can just pluck them out with tongs. 3" spiders are big enough to attack their own living prey without a doubt, no need for pre killed at that point.

I just would hate for it to hide somewhere i cant find it. Suppose worms could do.
Worms will bury themselves. Try crickets or red runner roaches. Mealworms, Superworms, wax worms and dubia will all burly themselves immediately or within a few minutes. Crickets and roaches will just wander.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You're both completely right, but as someone who feeds 90% dubias, I always crush the heads. No more burrowing, no freezing in place for hours; they just wander around like delectable little zombies until the movements attract the T. It's gross and a little more work, but my critters all like them and as DomGom said they really put some meat on those nonexistent bones 🤣
Of course, I feed live

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
There’s no point in feeding pre-killed at 3in, and your missing out on the opportunity to watch then hunt. Insert feeders and sit there and wait and watch for them to hunt and take prey.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
pre killed is no issue i used to feed my 6 inch plus a genic pre killed super worms all the time just drop the worm in front or by a leg and done but that t was one of those all that moves is food bite first no questions asked kinda t my 3 inch hamorri is the same way
oh thats dope

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Dubias hide and bury themselves. Other roaches typically wander around.
Which roach could I use that would wander around and not be annoying by getting out easily? I live with someone who hates roaches. So I try to stick to female dubias. 🤣 or other prey.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
For the species you showed for your enclosure you built, you can just go in and get them out. If you have an OW then it gets more cautious but for a new world generally you can just pluck them out with tongs. 3" spiders are big enough to attack their own living prey without a doubt, no need for pre killed at that point.

Worms will bury themselves. Try crickets or red runner roaches. Mealworms, Superworms, wax worms and dubia will all burly themselves immediately or within a few minutes. Crickets and roaches will just wander.
arent red runners those incredibly fast roaches that escape easily? Do they breed in houses if they get out?

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
arent red runners those incredibly fast roaches that escape easily? Do they breed in houses if they get out?
Yes, and sometimes, and they can. They have issues climbing smooth plastic. But it's the best feeding response I've gotten from my tarantulas. I keep them in an airtight container with metal mesh I hot glued to for the ventilation.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Yes, and sometimes, and they can. They have issues climbing smooth plastic. But it's the best feeding response I've gotten from my tarantulas. I keep them in an airtight container with metal mesh I hot glued to for the ventilation.
Anything else that would be good and not breed outside of the enclosure?

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Anything else that would be good and not breed outside of the enclosure?
Not to me. I think crickets and red runners are the best. Some people use lobster roaches but they can fly as adults. Others have used Red Goblin roaches too. Roaches and crickets are your best bet. I just don't like crickets but they're not that bad.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Not to me. I think crickets and red runners are the best. Some people use lobster roaches but they can fly as adults. Others have used Red Goblin roaches too. Roaches and crickets are your best bet. I just don't like crickets but they're not that bad.
Red goblin? 🤣 are there orc roaches? Perhaps elven? (I joke) interesting. What about them though? the goblin ones? and do these roaches bite? My thing with crickets is they may bite.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Red goblin? 🤣 are there orc roaches? Perhaps elven? (I joke) interesting. What about them though? the goblin ones? and do these roaches bite? My thing with crickets is they may bite.
Bite who? Bite you? Or the tarantula?

Any and all feeders have the potential to bite your tarantulas when they're molting. Probably not wax worms or hornworms. But super worms, roaches, mealworms, crickets.. they can all have the potential to bite into a molting tarantula.

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Bite who? Bite you? Or the tarantula?

Any and all feeders have the potential to bite your tarantulas when they're molting. Probably not wax worms or hornworms. But super worms, roaches, mealworms, crickets.. they can all have the potential to bite into a molting tarantula.
Can hornworms be used as a staple? My problem is because my hand is rather big I am afraid of the insect hiding behind the back panel. For now she looks nowhere near molting soo I will feed the first feeder I can find that she will take.

P.s. I am just being a worrywort

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Can hornworms be used as a staple? My problem is because my hand is rather big I am afraid of the insect hiding behind the back panel. For now she looks nowhere near molting soo I will feed the first feeder I can find that she will take.

P.s. I am just being a worrywort
You're overthinking it for sure. Hornworms are good for a treat. Not only are they very expensive for feeders, they grow big and fat in a week or two, and in a month they turn into moths. Going from 1" to about 3" and a meal too big for one T to finish if your tarantula isn't big enough. Probably not a good idea to use as a staple.