Favorite True Spider

Thomas Loomis

Arachnopeon
What is your favorite true spider? Why? How does this spider compare to your favorite Tarantula?

Wouldn't it be great to get to be able to get Missulena and Atrax in the United States?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I spent a lot of time as a kid catching and playing with Eratigena atrica, so they're fun. The Araneus diadematus in my yard were always the fattest spiders around, outside the once or twice I found an A. quadratus and relocated it to the yard. I've always had an interest in Latrodectus though. Something about their sleek blackness and their venom. I do also really like black tarantulas, but like them with more colour, too. E. atrica hunts in a similar method to a lot of Ts. Funnel/burrow, flat sheet web, fast ambush attack.

Missulena and Atrax are cool, but they aren't true spiders. There are plenty of similar Mygalomorphae in North and South America.

The wolf

Arachnolord
I'm a true spider keeper although I only have native uk ones and my favourite is e atrica although I love my pisuria mirabulus and crab spiders

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
There was an omen when I was a child, while my sister kept rodents, I grabbed a critter keeper that was left over and kept local spiders in them.
In the tall grass behind our house were dozens of Argiope bruennichi and Araneus diadematus and I started housing them.

Argiope bruennichi or Zebraspinne in german is especially amazing. For Germany it is a huuuge spider, the larger ones would try their best to get through your skin when you tried to catch them.
Araneus diadematus was the only one we knew of that was able to puncture skin and give you a little hurtful sting.

Those two are still my favorite, Argiope bruennichi being no. 1.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Here is my top 3.

1) Viridasius vasciatus- The speed of slings is unreal. You better have a catch cup ready or they can easily run into small crevices and cracks. The escapes are a nice adrenaline rush. Adults calm down and are so beautiful.

2) Acanthogonatus francki- Beautiful bronze coloring. Mature males are leggy and I like the look of them. Very fast to grab food that hits their web, entertaining to watch.

3) Heteropoda lunula- Get very pretty as adults. This species seems to teleport due to their speed. All the slings that I have drop down to substrate when enclosure is disturbed. Pretty fast growers too.

Thomas Loomis

Arachnopeon
Missulena and Atrax are cool, but they aren't true spiders. There are plenty of similar Mygalomorphae in North and South America.
That's true. I added it as an aside. I think the venom is what makes them interesting. I keep many tarantulas but I want to start keeping true spiders.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What is your favorite true spider? Why?
Of our native species, I'd have to say either Kukulcania hibernalis or Nephila clavipes.

Kukulcania hibernalis is incredibly long lived for a true spider. Females in captivity can live for 9+ years. They gradually build elaborate webs with one or more tunnel-like entrances. Their frayed silk is mechanically very sticky despite lacking glue. Most interestingly, the mothers show an unusual level of maternal care for spiders, allowing the slings to share her kills for several weeks before they disperse.

The Grey Lady, one of my mature females:

Nephila clavipes is a gentle giant, and its golden silk is amazingly strong.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I would have to choose the Nephila in general. If one word sums up their appearance it would be elegant. Graceful, their movements similar to ballet steps, tolerant, enduring, allowing and even protecting male suitors in their webs. They epitomize the grace and class of araneae.

nageuse

Arachnopeon
Of our native species, I'd have to say either Kukulcania hibernalis or Nephila clavipes.

Kukulcania hibernalis is incredibly long lived for a true spider. Females in captivity can live for 9+ years. They gradually build elaborate webs with one or more tunnel-like entrances. Their frayed silk is mechanically very sticky despite lacking glue. Most interestingly, the mothers show an unusual level of maternal care for spiders, allowing the slings to share her kills for several weeks before they disperse.

The Grey Lady, one of my mature females:

Nephila clavipes is a gentle giant, and its golden silk is amazingly strong.
Wow. I didn't know that any spiders shared kills. Lovely.

arachnoherp

Arachnosquire
I would have to choose the Nephila in general. If one word sums up their appearance it would be elegant. Graceful, their movements similar to ballet steps, tolerant, enduring, allowing and even protecting male suitors in their webs. They epitomize the grace and class of araneae.

I wholeheartedly agree here, i used to keep at least 3 nephila clavipes and if given enough space they made huuge golden webs that they would dance accross to get to food, however unfortunately my biggest female was not a fan of males XD.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
however unfortunately my biggest female was not a fan of males XD.
You know, this is a little odd. It seems mature female nephs have individual moods and personalities. I had one beside the house that completely ignored my presence. Then one day I noticed a male in her web. In about a week she changed completely, giving a full blown threat display if I got within about 6 inches of the web. Another gal had 4 or 5 males move into her web. They all stayed in one quadrant out near the perimeter. Then I noticed she moved from web center to a few inches away from the males. As the males ranged over a wider area she kept moving away from them until she was only about 6 inches from the edge. Weird.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Carolina wolf spider. Not only is it my favorite true spider but it's also my favorite invertebrate in general. They look absolutely stunning
Screenshot_20180122-221028.png
But there low maintenance, housing is super easy, they almost never turn down a meal and there takedowns are spectacular, there very calm at worst giving me a threat posture for really annoying it, very cooperative when it comes to rehouseing, and honestly amazing display pets despite living in burrow. The only find to haveing them are there crafty little buggers. Seriously like I rehoused it because it had found a way to climb over the lip of its enclosure so I put it in a large critter keeper with high walls I look away then look back again and it's HANGING FROM THE TOP OF ITS LID!!!

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I've always had an interest in Latrodectus though. Something about their sleek blackness and their venom
Same here. Growing up in California I was always warned about the dangers of black widows and like the forbidden fruit this just made me intrigued. Pretty soon I was checking out books on black widows in my school library which led to me reading more books about different spiders until I eventually read a book on wolf spiders which really stuck out to me and caused my love of the Carolina wolf spider. So I guess you could say that being told not to go near spiders sparked my love of being around spiders. I want to own a black widow now but my parents won't let me because my dad made the mistake of not checking before moving a wood pile and got a bite from one and this was enough to scare my parents out of ever letting me have one

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Wow. I didn't know that any spiders shared kills. Lovely.
Oh yeah. while I was trying to pair a male and female triangulate cobweb spider I put a meal worm in there enclosure and they both sucked on it lady and the tramp style

Cororon

Arachnoknight
Jumping spiders, because they often find YOU before you see them. I caught and took out a crab spider once when I felt watched, and there was a little hoppy on the wall staring at me. :happy: I spent some quality time with him, and he was so aware of the surroundings. A horsefly flew by 1½ meters away and he watched it! I put my head to the wall and we looked into eachothers eyes for a while. <3

But I like all spiders I meet. I see a lot of lazy Xysticus crab spiders, Philodromidae, Dolomedes, wolf spiders, garden spiders, Steatoda and different ones I haven't identified. They are all interesting and adorable in their own ways. :)

The wolf

Arachnolord
Jesus it was only January,felt like centuries ago I posted

I've totally changed since then

Frankly idk what my fav sp is,I loved my lil platythomsis octomaculans and they're so goddamed intresting,k.hibernalis maybe,s.floretine if they weren't so god damned fussy

Actually probably it's dysederacrocata for a range of reasons (it's my username on Reddit and discord for a reason)