Favorite True Spider

NYAN

Arachnoking
I like latrodectus and sparassids. sparassids grow large, have nice colors, are fast and display nicely. Latrodectus have this look to them like a shiny car or something. There’s also plenty of color varieties too. The way each hunt their prey is totally different but each displays their own brutal strength and perfected tactic of hunting.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Wandering spiders have some pretty neat color variations and something about the venom potency makes them interesting to me. I don't think I would ever keep one since a bite could actually kill me, but some dead specimens for my dried collection or seeing some in the invert area of the local museum would be pretty cool.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I have too many favorites...:happy:

Probably my favorite that I would have to buy is some species of Nephila too. Love their beautiful coloring!

Some local favorites that I haven't kept but want to are:
  • Dolomedes triton,
  • Argiope aurantia,
  • Hogna carolinensis
Some local favorites that I have kept are:
  • Araneus diadematus,
  • Pardosa vancouveri
A local favorite that I've kept that I don't believe is actually a true spider but a mygalomorph is Antrodiaetus pacificus. Have had a male and female at different times but let each go after a while.

Here is the female Antrodiaetus pacificus I had.
antrodiaetus-pacificus-female.jpg
This is the male I had.
antrodiaetus-pacificus-male.jpg

Last edited:

RebelWolf

Arachnosquire
I've always had in interest in Latrodectus Hesperus because it was the first widow species I saw during my vacation in California. Ever since then the specie, Latrodectus Hesperus is my favorite and I plan to get several as pets after I'm done with finishing college. I've always found those gals fascinating especially with their black glossy appearance, red hour glass and powerful venom. I'm very drawn to them

basin79

ArachnoGod
Don't have a favourite as I love all of mine for different reasons. Out of all my spiders though my Gandanameno sp are by far the cutest and my Deinopis sp is the most impressive to watch hunt.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I adore my Latrodectus! They are so elegant themselves, but then they have these messy webs lol

I covet Heteropoda davidbowie... orange and fluffy and fast and awesome - What more could you want?!

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My favorite is the carolina, wolf spider. I hatched out of egg sac two years ago and is not even full grown yet. At least one more molt to go, should molt again in early spring.

I thought she was mature but when I tried to breed her no luck left a mature male in there for hours came back he was on a rock luckly still alive. I made sure she was well fed. Tried this couple times came to the conclusion she is sub adult she's 3.5+ inches now or 1.5" body.

I don't know if the male will make it thay that long since he's the same exact age as her getting old for a male.

I will have to get another one in spring.

Carolina wolf spider. Not only is it my favorite true spider but it's also my favorite invertebrate in general. They look absolutely stunning
View attachment 264112
But there low maintenance, housing is super easy, they almost never turn down a meal and there takedowns are spectacular, there very calm at worst giving me a threat posture for really annoying it, very cooperative when it comes to rehouseing, and honestly amazing display pets despite living in burrow. The only find to haveing them are there crafty little buggers. Seriously like I rehoused it because it had found a way to climb over the lip of its enclosure so I put it in a large critter keeper with high walls I look away then look back again and it's HANGING FROM THE TOP OF ITS LID!!!

Attachments

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's my list starting with favorite species favorite starting at 1 . Luckily I have had the pleasure of keeping most of these species. I have many more I like but these are my favorites.

1 Phoneutria fera Peru / Ecuador.
2 Phoneutria reidiyi Peru.
3 Phoneutria boliviensis Panama
4 Dolomedes okefinokensis
6 Hogna carolinensis
7 Dolomedes tenebrosus
8 Dolomedes scriptus
9 Heteropoda venatoria
10 loxoceles reclusa

Last edited:

Tarantula155

Arachnobaron
I like most Latrodectus and Loxosceles.

Just ordered some Phoneutria recently, pretty stoked to raise those up!