Facepalm

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Did this air recently? Because if so gird yourselves for the hoards coming on here buying G.rosea and OBTs because they want to hold them. After all, that guy did it.

Also what is with entomologists thinking they can speak about arachnids? This one obviously doesn't know a whole lot if he thinks it's ok to put G.rosea on his face, a tarantula that most of us I think agree at this point is no where near as "docile" as books and caresheets claim. Or if he thinks they are in any way safe at least five feet off the ground...if one starts to fall, how is he going to catch it without a) it freaking out and b) the others also freaking out? It would be a disaster. There's nothing safe about that situation for them. And then maybe a year ago, there was a completely off-base paper that someone linked by a entomologist, in which the author referred to venom as poison, along with ,IIRC, plenty of other very incorrect information. I realize entomology and arachnology are closely linked but I feel like this is akin to a regular family doctor claiming the same knowledge level as a brain surgeon.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I wonder how some of these people finish high school let alone become scientists, so what was the act anyway? Just putting 5 tarantulas on his face and standing there with a smile? So what the hell is he going to do in the next round if that's his whole act?

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I wonder how some of the people finish high school let alone become scientists, so what was the act anyway? Just putting 5 tarantulas on his face and standing there with a smile? So what the hell is he going to do in the next round if that's his whole act?
Here in the US, we have this horrible program called "No Child Left Behind" (set in place by a real winner himself: G.W.Bush) which basically means no matter how much they're not getting it, no matter that maybe they need to be left behind a grade and not passed, they do anyway. Finishing high school means nothing in the US nowadays. The real question is, how did they get a degree?

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Here in the US, we have this horrible program called "No Child Left Behind" (set in place by a real winner himself: G.W.Bush) which basically means no matter how much they're not getting it, no matter that maybe they need to be left behind a grade and not passed, they do anyway. Finishing high school means nothing in the US nowadays. The real question is, how did they get a degree?
they did have that for the longest time. but its actually a lot different now. they do fail you and leave you behind a grade now. the "no child left behind" thing is mainly popular in elementary school. I know, because a lot of my friends left elementary school being used to that whole thing, then when they entered middle school they had no choice but to try to get good grades and pass their classes. and the ones that didn't were left with the choice to either stay behind or get parents permission to drop out. and if they did stay behind and made it to high school, most would find themselves with that same choices, and at that point most would just drop out, leaving my old highschool with a high drop out rate.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Down here they don't even put you behind a grade anymore, they will just boot you out if you clearly can't handle it/ not show the will to even want to succeed. We have a point system in our final High school year that is based off finishing your subjects, you have to have a certain amount of points to pass and get your high school Diploma, I'm pretty sure it's like 5/6 subjects completed to pass.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
No Child Left Behind is good when you have a child with learning disabilities like mine, who doesn't get bad grades for no effort, but for a legit, real disability. Or kids who don't speak English as a first language. Or who have lazy parents who don't help with homework. Or the myriad of other reason a child may not do well in school.

Anyway. I can't say I've ever purposely put a spider on my face. They've been there, but that's because they are faster than me lol. I quit watching shows like America's Got Talent because it's really more like America's Got Idiots.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I can't say I've ever purposely put a spider on my face. They've been there, but that's because they are faster than me.

I quit watching shows like America's Got Talent because it's really more like America's Got Idiots.

I've had T's just about everywhere else, except my face.

'America's Got Idiots' ...in spades!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I've had T's just about everywhere else, except my face.

'America's Got Idiots' ...in spades!
Quick Irminia slings and black widow slings have both ended up on my face. The widows were the worst because they were in my hair too, so I felt like a dog with fleas LOL

The things us crazy spider lovers do.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I happen to hate the no child left behind thing mainly because there are kids that are not very bright, don't care and just blow school off passing when they don't deserve it. As someone who works at trying to have good grades it offends me. It does offer help to those who need it as mentioned above but not the people who don't deserve any privileges.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Also, "facepalm" is totally NOT something you should do when there is a spider on your face ;)

friendttyy

Arachnolord
Id like to see him put my A. chalcodes on his face. Not only would the spider have even more misanthopy than it did before, but the guy would probably have a very angry tarantula latched onto his face for a week* XD

**That last line was an exaggaration. My A. chalcodes is just, how you say, feistier than most of its species.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2
<<--- A.Chacoldes hears you clear.

---------- Post added 11-11-2014 at 09:43 PM ----------

No Child Left Behind is good when you have a child with learning disabilities like mine, who doesn't get bad grades for no effort, but for a legit, real disability. Or kids who don't speak English as a first language. Or who have lazy parents who don't help with homework. Or the myriad of other reason a child may not do well in school.

Anyway. I can't say I've ever purposely put a spider on my face. They've been there, but that's because they are faster than me lol. I quit watching shows like America's Got Talent because it's really more like America's Got Idiots.
I take english home language and it my first additional language. Afrikaans is my second additional language but i learn as first additional...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
<<--- R] I take english home language and it my first additional language. Afrikaans is my second additional language but i learn as first additional...
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
After searching the video up online, I found his channel and posted the link to this thread on it, hoping it'd get some knowledge into his, but I got this reply,

"Thanks for calling my attention to this discussion! I rehearsed this act dozens of times and keeping the spiders safe was my #1 priority. At no point were the spiders at risk, nor was I"

Obviously he's one of those people who think spiders can learn and form bonds with people. -facepalm- indeed.
yeah, the guy who's doing that Discovery Channel special where he gets himself swallowed by an anaconda said the same thing.
real scientists don't engage in sensationalistic TV stunts to draw attention to their "work."

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Right, they're just rednecks in white lab coats, with the same catch phrase: 'Watch me do this.'
LOL rednecks, sounds fun as hell being a redneck scientist, get drunk as hell and carry out stunts that the crowd eat up.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
LOL rednecks, sounds fun as hell being a redneck scientist, get drunk as hell and carry out stunts that the crowd eat up.
Like the moron trying to convince us he's going to get, eaten by a snake right?being drunk and stupid isn't really a good aspiration, j/s.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Like the moron trying to convince us he's going to get, eaten by a snake right?being drunk and stupid isn't really a good aspiration, j/s.
Meh never been a person to tell others what to do, if some silly bugger wants to get eaten by a snake I'm not going to stop him LOL

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Meh never been a person to tell others what to do, if some silly bugger wants to get eaten by a snake I'm not going to stop him LOL
True enough except the reptile hobbyists and arachnid hobbyists already have enough trouble raising awareness and educating people. Stunts like this negatively impact the hobby in potentially very negative ways. With potentially long and far reaching consequences.