Experience vs Knowledge

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Reading through this thread, it boils down to knowledge and experience are both really important. There, that settles everything. :smug:

boina

Lady of the mites
I'm all about research and knowledge - it's my life.

However... you can read every book on the planet about horseback riding and then you get on a horse and have no clue what to do. You probably won't even be able to get on it because that horse will take one look at you, label you 'idiotic beginner' and do whatever it wants, but not what you want.

In tarantula terms: I did read every book I could find and plenty of web pages and still... I experimented (i.e. gained experience) with different setups until I found the ones I liked and my spiders seemed to like best, I read everything about transfers during rehousing and still experimented (= gained experience) until I found the methods that work for me, I know everything about pinch grabbing but still can't do it, I experimented with feeding protocols, moisture levels (important and very variable depending on where you live) and enclosure types and so on.

IMO when it comes to animals experience trumps knowledge every day.

DeepSea

Arachnopeon

However... you can read every book on the planet about horseback riding and then you get on a horse and have no clue what to do. You probably won't even be able to get on it because that horse will take one look at you, label you 'idiotic beginner' and do whatever it wants, but not what you want.

In tarantula terms: I did read every book I could find and plenty of web pages and still... I experimented (i.e. gained experience) with different setups until I found the ones I liked and my spiders seemed to like best, I read everything about transfers during rehousing and still experimented (= gained experience) until I found the methods that work for me, I know everything about pinch grabbing but still can't do it, I experimented with feeding protocols, moisture levels (important and very variable depending on where you live) and enclosure types and so on.

That makes a lot of sense, I appear to be following a very similar path myself. Personally I'm all about experience, met too many people that can talk a great deal but not a not else. I just find there is a bit of peacock parading when it comes to OW species in these discussions. Perhaps I'm just sensitive :wideyed:

Last edited by a moderator:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel

I agree, but I will say that when first starting out, since experience only comes over time, that knowledge is more important. Too many new owners go into keeping T's with little or no research, thinking they'll figure it out as they go along, which too often ends badly.

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
I made this thread not because I'm one sided, but because I wanted to hear from everyone else on what they thought. Here is my opinion on the matter.
Experience will never trump Knowledge.
Knowledge will never trump Experience.
Knowledge and Experience go hand in hand. You can not have one without the other. No matter how you look at it. Without one, you will fail. Sure, you can have experience with handling, feeding, cleaning, etc., but with the lack of knowledge on HOW to do so, you wind up in a bad spot. You can know anything and everything about every species, how to care for them, how to carry out the tasks, but with the lack of experience you may not be able to do some or all of those tasks. Again, I didnt make this post because I'm one sided or to start arguments, I just see this as a good opportunity for new hobbyists to see the importance of both. My field of work is a prime example of this. You can have the knowledge on what to do or how to do it, but without the experience, you may die. You can also have experience but without the proper understanding on how to operate different weapons systems, radios, vehicles, etc., you may die. Just my humble opinion on the whole matter. I apologize if i caused any arguments or bickering between forum members. It was not my intention.

Bierschneeman

Arachnopeon
yes, but if you reject knowledge and learning and only embrace experience, youll end up like quite a few youtubers who STILL tell people Avicularia's need to live in an unventilated swamp.

Edit: i am not suggesting "You" i already know you are more knowledgeable than that. just a general term.

(P%&#$'s Tarantulas even went as far as taping up all her ventilation holes because "they require really high humidity, so we have to restrict the airflow."~P.... Tarantulas

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Also, people need to be able to apply critical thinking skills and be adept at information verification to even be able to determine what is absolutely sound knowledge and what is absolute crap. Not even just with T keeping but with other things in life as well. I hate that some people just read something somewhere that's inevitably wrong and go on to hurt their tarantula or other pet or themselves because they believe that one thing to be totally true.