Experience vs Knowledge

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
Here is my argument.
Knowledge is very important in this hobby. While semi defending another user on a post this topic was brought up. I am NOT saying knowledge is everything. What I AM saying is that with the proper knowledge, taking care of the vast majority of T's should be little to no problem. Easiest animals I have ever cared for. Argue if you may. The way I see it, knowledge outweighs experience when first starting out. Every T has different care requirements, different tempers, different reaction times and so forth.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Not in my opinion, real life experience will always be the most valuable asset when it comes to this hobby.

You can read every single piece of tarantula literature out there, nothing will prepare you better then actually working with tarantulas. This is why potent OWs are not recommended for beginners, if you haven't dealt with any other tarantulas you wont know what to expect or how to react if need be...making escapes and bites all the more likely.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If someone's starting out, how would they have the experience? Of course knowledge would trump experience then, because knowledge would be better than nothing. However, when jumping to an advanced species (like a fast, potent OW), experience working with slower moving species/faster species that aren't as potent trumps knowledge (as you would already have basic knowledge on how to care for the animals, which knowledge of basic care is essentially the same for most species). Who would you hire in this situation, someone who's read all about the field, or someone who's actually worked in the field?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
both are crucial and important its not one or the other also this belongs in off topic or chat at least. lots of this knowledge you learn is just that which has been discovered by experience.

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
Not in my opinion, real life experience will always be the most valuable asset when it comes to this hobby.

You can read every single piece of tarantula literature out there, nothing will prepare you better then actually working with tarantulas. This is why potent OWs are not recommended for beginners, if you haven't dealt with any other tarantulas you wont know what to expect or how to react if need be...making escapes and bites all the more likely.
Right. Again, I'm not saying knowledge is the be all. What I'm trying to get at is this, no matter what hobby, job, career you get involved in, having the proper knowledge will avoid MANY complications. Experience may come from knowledge and knowledge may come from experience. Just because you dont have as much experience as another doesnt mean you arent just as capable.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Right. Again, I'm not saying knowledge is the be all. What I'm trying to get at is this, no matter what hobby, job, career you get involved in, having the proper knowledge will avoid MANY complications. Experience may come from knowledge and knowledge may come from experience. Just because you dont have as much experience as another doesnt mean you arent just as capable.
I'm a bit confused, before you said knowledge is more important than experience and now you're saying they're hand in hand? But experience does trump knowledge in most cases, for example, i was a lab manager at my previous university, 10/10 I would hire someone with the experience over someone who said they read all about the position/field, just because I know that if it came down to it, the person with experience would know what to do. I'm not saying that knowledge is useless though, but when it comes to working with animals, experience is a bit more important as knowledge comes with experience as well.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Yeah and he didn’t say knowledge was useless either.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
hmmm simple enough then , take people of equal education say two surgeons from Harvard, one has been practicing for ten years on their own patients and the other is pretty much new. actually this is why residency exist. so some guy fresh outta of schooling cant just come by hacking up people with their "knowledge".
let me quote mark twain here.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
extrapolate what you want from that

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
I'm a bit confused, before you said knowledge is more important than experience and now you're saying they're hand in hand? But experience does trump knowledge in most cases, for example, i was a lab manager at my previous university, 10/10 I would hire someone with the experience over someone who said they read all about the position/field, just because I know that if it came down to it, the person with experience would know what to do. I'm not saying that knowledge is useless though, but when it comes to working with animals, experience is a bit more important as knowledge comes with experience as well.
Please show me where I said that.

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
I will try to simplify my point as much as possible. I'm absolutely terrible with words via keyboard so excuse me if it seems confusing.
You can not gain experience on something without first having a good understanding of it. And at times it is vice versa. What I am most importantly trying to get at is the whole "you should not own such and such because you dont have enough experience" where do they get experience then? Everyone has to start from somewhere. Yes, some species should be kept by owners with much experience, but not all. I love OW species. They are by far my favorite and it irks me to see so many people steering or bashing others away because they got an OW as their 2nd, 3rd or 5th T.

that was a different thread. with the P regalis
Dont believe that was me. I said knowledge and capability. Capability leads into experience imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Just like anything else, one needs a balance of theory and practice. One is not more important than the other. The theory will prepare you for what to expect with tarantula husbandry, but the practice will show you the theory is often times wrong. For example, reading about how to capture a fast, defensive, high strung tarantula in a cup to rehouse is one thing, it will prepare someone on what to expect, but doing it is quite different! Sometimes that species you read to be a handful to work with turns out to be an easier experience. It works the other way around too where a species known to be docile turns out to be high strung and quick to run and bite.

kcuB yrogerG

Arachnopeon
Just like anything else, one needs a balance of theory and practice. One is not more important than the other. The theory will prepare you for what to expect with tarantula husbandry, but the practice will show you the theory is often times wrong.
Exactly what I'm trying to get at. Mostly. As I said I am awful at wording on keyboard, I feel like an idiot knowing I could have said something similar. Lol

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Neither is more important than the other. First hand experience goes a long way however.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Exactly what I'm trying to get at. Mostly. As I said I am awful at wording on keyboard, I feel like an idiot knowing I could have said something similar. Lol
In all fairness, I didn't read the whole thread before posting so I didn't see what you wrote. Now that I have, we are definitely saying the same thing.

This is a topic I can rant about all day since the majority of the content of this site is the same bits of knowledge that in practice are either flat out wrong or not as black and white as some of it is made out to be. :rofl:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Knowledge IS everything, actually. I was lucky enough to learn the art of keeping/caring for T's from a Tumblrina that accepted me as a disciple and since that day my life, and subsequently the life of my eight legged friends, reached the Zenith :)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I will try to simplify my point as much as possible. I'm absolutely terrible with words via keyboard so excuse me if it seems confusing.
You can not gain experience on something without first having a good understanding of it. And at times it is vice versa. What I am most importantly trying to get at is the whole "you should not own such and such because you dont have enough experience" where do they get experience then? Everyone has to start from somewhere. Yes, some species should be kept by owners with much experience, but not all. I love OW species. They are by far my favorite and it irks me to see so many people steering or bashing others away because they got an OW as their 2nd, 3rd or 5th T.
we dont bash people who do great care...you shouldn't read emotion in comment that state information. fact: OWs are not good beginner Ts. someone posted a great avic enclosure got praise for it. someone posted a poorly kept P regalis, they were helped. someone posted a dead T blondi from heat lamps, told heat lamps are bad. no scolding jus recommending and information. A comment has not tone of voice. unless i DO THIS. OR THIS!!! lol it seems we have no argument I agree knowledge is a requirement and experience is the difference between a being better or worse, challenge or ease. seems like most would likely agree. but I would not agree we bask newbies, it may be perceived that way but it is simply helpful advice. One cannot start calculus without arithmetic. as is they tried they would not do as well as on who knows arithmetic. one who knows calculus longer and used it more will likely do it better than one who hasn't. there is a difference between introductory and mastery.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
where do they get experience then?
By starting with the simplest species and gradually working with more troublesome species. Just like how we start with counting, then addition/subtraction, muliplication/division, etc.. working our way up to calculus and other complex maths. We build on our knowlesge to be most successful, not just ‘jump’ in

we dont bash people who do great care...you shouldn't read emotion in comment that state information. fact: OWs are not good beginner Ts. someone posted a great avic enclosure got praise for it. someone posted a poorly kept P regalis, they were helped. someone posted a dead T blondi from heat lamps, told heat lamps are bad. no scolding jus recommending and information. A comment has not tone of voice. unless i DO THIS. OR THIS!!! lol it seems we have no argument I agree knowledge is a requirement and experience is the difference between a being better or worse, challenge or ease. seems like most would likely agree. but I would not agree we bask newbies, it may be perceived that way but it is simply helpful advice. One cannot start calculus without arithmetic. as is they tried they would not do as well as on who knows arithmetic. one who knows calculus longer and used it more will likely do it better than one who hasn't. there is a difference between introductory and mastery.
Darn it, you beat me to the calculus comparison

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s all about knowledge, I finished reading Gray’s Anatomy— Im ready to perform neurosurgery.