Euathlus sp Red (Chilean Flame) Slings- New owner

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Initially, I wanted a captive-bred adult of this species in the hopes it would be more comfortable with handling but the CB adults I found were quite expensive- $175 or more. My other option was a Wild Caught adult for a decent price- around $25 but I didn't get it because I figured it wasn't used to handling and may be defensive and skittish. I got an adult Grammostola sp Red Concepcion, wild caught, and she is skittish and has shown defence postures.

louise f

Arachnoangel
:arghh: It sucks to have to wait that long. I was thinking they'll grow maybe to an inch the first year, but I just hope nothing happens to them and they make it to adulthood. They look so fragile.
They are fragile when they are small. You are gonna love them when grown up. they are really docile and nice color.

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
I'm still looking for an adult female of this species to add to my others. If anyone knows of one please let me know. I'm looking for a handleable one.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
I have two slings and used to have an adult female. They are hands down my favorite species! One of my slings is a great eater, the other is not. They are prone to fasting and are picky, as others have said. I feed them pre killed prey twice a week and keep a portion of the container damp. You're going to LOVE them when they finally grow! They're really fantastic and adorable.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I have three. I got them in March. I have feed them all about 1-2 times a week. They were all 1/4" when I got them. They are all three different sizes now. two have molted twice. The smallest has only molted once. The largest is now about 2/3" and the smallest is less than 1/2" still.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
I have three. I got them in March. I have feed them all about 1-2 times a week. They were all 1/4" when I got them. They are all three different sizes now. two have molted twice. The smallest has only molted once. The largest is now about 2/3" and the smallest is less than 1/2" still.
Wow, they are slow growers, aren't they?? What do you feed yours??

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I got two of these slings about two months ago, and one of them has molted twice in my care, while the other looks like it will have its second molt any day now. They were sold as 1/4", but one was a little bigger than the other. That one is now about 1/2". It's interesting, the different growth rates people see with these.
They're active, sweet little slings and fun to watch. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :)

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
I got two of these slings about two months ago, and one of them has molted twice in my care, while the other looks like it will have its second molt any day now. They were sold as 1/4", but one was a little bigger than the other. That one is now about 1/2". It's interesting, the different growth rates people see with these.
They're active, sweet little slings and fun to watch. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :)
Ty Wolfspoon, I hope so. I jus hope I don't kill them. I've read alot of info about them but I'm new to the hobby and they are tiny. FNT'S says they're 1/4 I believe. Same size my Brachypelma Hamorii was. She's molted once in my care and is a little bigger. She rarely eats still. I've had her going on two months. I'm taking her being alive is a good sign I may be doing something right, lol. But I've been watching for the eualthus for quite a while. I'm really looking forward to meeting her Tues

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
Ty Wolfspoon, I hope so. I jus hope I don't kill them. I've read alot of info about them but I'm new to the hobby and they are tiny. FNT'S says they're 1/4 I believe. Same size my Brachypelma Hamorii was. She's molted once in my care and is a little bigger. She rarely eats still. I've had her going on two months. I'm taking her being alive is a good sign I may be doing something right, lol. But I've been watching for the eualthus for quite a while. I'm really looking forward to meeting her Tues
Debbie, I’m new to the hobby too and have the same worries. It’s hard to get over the fear that my spiders may be secretly dying or unwell, even when they’re eating and molting and doing normal tarantula things. :shy: You may have already done this, but I find it reassuring to post a picture on here of any new enclosure/spider and make sure things look ok.

That said I believe the care for your new sling should be the same as for your B. hamorii sling. I don’t know if this helps, but I keep my Euathlus slings with a tiny water dish and part of the substrate dampened, a ring of ventilation around the sides, and the room temperature around 75. I feed them every few days but they don’t eat often. I was surprised this past month when they really pigged out after their molts, eating 4 times in a row before fasting again. :)

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
Debbie, I’m new to the hobby too and have the same worries. It’s hard to get over the fear that my spiders may be secretly dying or unwell, even when they’re eating and molting and doing normal tarantula things. :shy: You may have already done this, but I find it reassuring to post a picture on here of any new enclosure/spider and make sure things look ok.

That said I believe the care for your new sling should be the same as for your B. hamorii sling. I don’t know if this helps, but I keep my Euathlus slings with a tiny water dish and part of the substrate dampened, a ring of ventilation around the sides, and the room temperature around 75. I feed them every few days but they don’t eat often. I was surprised this past month when they really pigged out after their molts, eating 4 times in a row before fasting again. :)
When I get my baby and haves time I will post a picture of her. But I have pix of my other 3 babies :). This is Zilly

Attachments

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
They are known to be, but not necessarily. Depends on the temps, frequency of feeding, quality of prey and gender.

Here's an AF
Awwww, jus look at that lil bumm sticking out of her hide . You can tell she's well
They are known to be, but not necessarily. Depends on the temps, frequency of feeding, quality of prey and gender.

Here's an AF
She is sooooo beautiful!! Ty for the pix