Euathlus sp Red (Chilean Flame) Slings- New owner

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Hello all, I just got two very tiny Euathlus sp Red slings (1/4 inch) and I have some questions:

1. How often do they molt?
2. How long will it take them to grow to 1 inch? And after that, what is the growth rate until they reach adult size
3. I read I can cut up a small piece of cricket to feed them, but how big a piece and how many times per week should I feed them?

I appreciate any help, information and suggestions about my Tarantulas :)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I wish i could be of more help, but i do not own slings of this species, but i have an adult. From what i hear they grow at a snails pace and as far as feeding i can't say although i do know if they don't eat right away, it is nothing to worry about since they are not the best eaters and tend to fast, which is what i think my female us doing right now.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
How often they molt and the amount of time it'll take them to get to a certain size depends on how warm you keep them and how often you feed, so it's hard to say. But yeah, this species are slow growers.

At that size I'd feed them about 2-3 times a week if they'll take it, and instead of cutting up crickets I just crush the head of a small cricket no bigger than the size of the spider and leave it there for them to scavenge. Not sure if they'd be intimidated by something much bigger or not, never tried

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello all, I just got two very tiny Euathlus sp Red slings (1/4 inch) and I have some questions:

2. How long will it take them to grow to 1 inch? And after that, what is the growth rate until they reach adult size
3. I read I can cut up a small piece of cricket to feed them, but how big a piece and how many times per week should I feed them?

These are slow growers, but not as slow as many believe. I have had them grow quite quickly relative to other people's reports who own them.

1 & 2. Answered by Raisin

3. Subjective, some feed once a week. Personally, I feed this locality as often as it will eat. Slings job is to grow fast to avoid predators.

I own 2 E sp Red, and a E sp Yellow, all 3 are very particular eaters, meaning they take their time to attack more so than any other species I've owned. They will sit there and just wait, slowly stalk the crix, even keep a leg on the cricket before attacking it. They are quite "fussy"/careful in that context.

They are generally very "curious" if you haven't heard. By that I mean they will typically walk up and out of their container whenever you open the lid to their home. Only T I have that does this regularly. If you give them enough substrate they will definitely burrow a lot. Constant excavators no doubt.

Always give them a water bowl, esp when small!!!

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Thank you all for your feedback. Mine are so tiny right now (about 1/4 of an inch- like the size of an ant).

When I first got them 2 days ago, I put live flightless fruit flies in their vials but they would not eat them and seemed to be running away from them. After 2 hours I checked and one sling had it's butt in the air so I figure it was annoyed by the flies. The other one even had a fly resting on it. I then killed the flies and put them back in and a few hours later, they were still there so I got them out.

Today I tried again (with live and then dead flies) and they're still not eating, but I misted one side of their vials and created a little burrow for them and they went right in.

Tomorrow, I will try a tiny cricket or if it's too big, I'll cut it and give them a piece. Maybe they'll go for that since that's what the breeder was feeding them.

When should I become concerned if they keep fasting?
Any additional suggestions about how to care for these micro babies are appreciated.

Walter1

Arachnosquire
OK. Keep them at upper 70s F anyway and provide a ripped in half not moving small cricket. They'll eatv the goop. You'll see their abdomen fatten. Spray for a drink 1-2X / week.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't keep mine on damp substrate, looks like yours is? I keep mine on dry sub. The abdomen in the air is not necessarily a sign of the fly. I have a tarantula that can fit inside the their abdomen (yes it's that tiny) its ab was in the air and no food had been in there for a week.

I would give them a tiny bark chip resting on the side of the vial.

Those Ts are large enough to eat live TINY crickets. They are very particular about when/how they will attack prey. Flies are nutrient deficient food source I've read, don't feed them flies.

Their abs are decent sized.

Also you haven't had them for long, don't you need time to get settled into a new home/apt, well so do Ts. They may not be fasting at all. These are simple animals, don't over think it.

IF you aren't already, read the forum, and not just about this locality. Many of the things, in fact all, apply to tarantulas generally speaking from what I have read in your posts. Keep at it! ;)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Nice species/locality, I've been looking at getting these for a while now. Good luck with your slings!

cold blood

Staff member
If these are your first, I would remove them fro the vials and put them into condiment cups....vials have limits when it comes to ventilation...add too much moisture (as it seems you have) and you quickly create a death trap.

You do NOT need to offer food every day, even if its not eating...give it a week, offer again, they look nice and healthy. Also just an FYI, fruit flies should only be used to supplement, not as a main food source, they are deficient nutritionally. Cricket legs, halved crickets or wax worm or meal worm parts are better options.

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Nice species/locality, I've been looking at getting these for a while now. Good luck with your slings!
If these are your first, I would remove them fro the vials and put them into condiment cups....vials have limits when it comes to ventilation...add too much moisture (as it seems you have) and you quickly create a death trap.

You do NOT need to offer food every day, even if its not eating...give it a week, offer again, they look nice and healthy. Also just an FYI, fruit flies should only be used to supplement, not as a main food source, they are deficient nutritionally. Cricket legs, halved crickets or wax worm or meal worm parts are better options.
Thank you, I was considering transferring them to condiment cups and will do so. :)

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
Thank you, I'm glad I brought up the flies as food, as I had a feeling they wouldn't be enough nutritiously but when I looked online for care, it listed them as one of the food source but didn't mention nutrition. I created a little burrow for them and they went right in! Also,they told me to keep the substrate moist to prevent dessication and I added more holes to the lid for added ventilation, but I will be transferring them from the vials.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron

They take forever lol. I had a 1/4" sling a year ago and it didn't even grow to a full one inch legspan yet and never will (died). Just know these Ts have a long lifespan and incredibly slow growth rate.

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
They take forever lol. I had a 1/4" sling a year ago and it didn't even grow to a full one inch legspan yet and never will (died). Just know these Ts have a long lifespan and incredibly slow growth rate.
I'm sorry to hear that. What happened to your sling?

louise f

Arachnoangel
IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1345.JPG This little guy was a year to get to that size from tiny sling. :bored: But they are gorgeous. <3