Escaped spider!

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Somehow her tank was open a tiny bit when i got up (i check it all the time don`t know how on earth it happened)
I have done everything to secure the room etc & my son & I are looking everywhere..
in the meantime i`m worried sick about my cat...if he finds her would my T kill him?
My T is a Chilean rosehair...my Grandson is 5 and is coming tomorrow i know it`s silly
probably but is he safe?I understand my T will hide & not go looking to attack things,
but i needed advice on this while we look..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
(i check it all the time don`t know how on earth it happened)
Of course you don't know why. With a username like 'Moon Unit', what else you expected? :playful:

jok

Now, seriously... what you need is to keep searching.

The cat? With a normal 'grammo'? I personally viewed a cat playing and mauling a Psalmopoeus spp. just for fun (was on a now removed YT video). The one that seriously risk is the spider, altough there's chances that the cat can help you to pinpoint the spider location.

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Frank Zappa fan...hence name of spider :)
Oh ok but the spider couldn`t bite my cat & kill him then?...maybe i`ve been reading too much but
i did read a spider can kill a small child...that`s why i am freaked out...
Thanks for the reply :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh ok but the spider couldn`t bite my cat & kill him then?...maybe i`ve been reading too much but
Yes, there's the chance that the cat can end bitten, but there's 99.99% of chances that the spider can end mauled with literally only one blow delivered by the cat's paw.

i did read a spider can kill a small child...that`s why i am freaked out...
No, what you read was/is only huge sensationalism, things of Tabloid/s and or cheap sites. Think. Which spider? Not definitely a G.rosea, or for that matter, other 'grammos'.

Granted, if the spider on the loose would had been a Stromatopelma calceatum best action for remain safe would to not let in your Grandson, but that's not the case :)

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Ahhhh right okay thank you so much for your reply...i`ll keep my eye on my cat & grandson,should
be fine then...i shall resume searching...my son says he`s moving out he is massively scared of spiders
not sure if that is a good thing or bad :)

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
Double check that the spider is not hiding in its enclosure.

How old is your son? If the answer is anything over 18, take his age, minus 18, and that is the number of spider you will put on his face when he sleeps.

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Yeah i keep looking Angel,she isn`t anywhere to be seen...I`m so worried for her all lost & scared..i`m in thr u.k so she will be cold too..
I will keep looking at get a flashlight tonight to look in any holes i find...only I can lose a flippin tarantula :/

Haha...he is 27 so if i tell him 9 spiders on his face tonight...i get the house back to myself...good thinking :)

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Yeah i keep looking Angel,she isn`t anywhere to be seen...I`m so worried for her all lost & scared..i`m in thr u.k so she will be cold too..
I will keep looking at get a flashlight tonight to look in any holes i find...only I can lose a flippin tarantula :/

Haha...he is 27 so if i tell him 9 spiders on his face tonight...i get the house back to myself...good thinking :)
Don’t get too down on yourself for it. I wake up pretty much every morning and see a new thread on here about how someone lost their T

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Oh really?Ok i shall look at the threads get some advice maybe...
Thank you

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
A rosea won't have gone far and once it found a nice dark space I doubt it would move for days. Check the enclosure again to make sure it isn't still in there, then check all the dark places in the room, any corners that it could be hiding under, then check the same places in the other rooms. This is basically a pet rock so I really wouldn't be surprised if you found it just feet from the enclosure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
in the meantime i`m worried sick about my cat...if he finds her would my T kill him?
Tbh, it's much more likely that the cat would kill the tarantula.

only I can lose a flippin tarantula :/
It happens, I've lost 3 (juvie B. smithi/2x C. elegans slings) and a scorpion (V. confusus), I found the B. smithi after 36hrs under a pair of cargo pants that I'd dumped under my bed which was a grand total of 2m away from his enclosure.

Never found the other escapees.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Hope you find your T!

@The Grym Reaper is correct -- the T is at WAY more at risk than the cat.
I don't consider a G rosea bite to be of much consequence to a person or a pet [just mechanical damage]. Not to say a bite is nothing, but a G Rosea shouldn't make one particularly sick. I've never actually heard of a death caused by any T bite -- but I suppose some OW bites can make you wish you were dead....:vomit: [read the bite reports on this forum!]
My concern is more the safety of the G rosea. Hope you can find her, for her sake.

boina

Lady of the mites
only I can lose a flippin tarantula :/
That's definitely wrong. Almost everyone with a collection of tarantulas has lost one or two or five... I've lost 4 (among them 2 X. immanis - absolutely the Houdinis of the spider world) and only recaptured 3...

G. rosea is not a dangerous tarantula and it's not able to harm a cat or a child. How big is it? They usually won't go far. I found my G. pulchripes after several weeks behind a book case only a few feet from it's enclosure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I don't consider a G rosea bite to be of much consequence to a person or a pet
Bear in mind that animals react differently to tarantula venom, a G. rosea bite is almost nothing to a human but, if I remember correctly, it was one of the most lethal when tested on mice.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Bear in mind that animals react differently to tarantula venom, a G. rosea bite is almost nothing to a human but, if I remember correctly, it was one of the most lethal when tested on mice.
Not to be ugly, but as long as my cat would be safe... the mice can die. :(

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
That's definitely wrong. Almost everyone with a collection of tarantulas has lost one or two or five... I've lost 4
Almost every time I fed my huntsman slings at least one got out. Most of them I recaptured but I think there are one or two living under my desk eating whatever insects are in my house.

boina

Lady of the mites
Almost every time I fed my huntsman slings at least one got out. Most of them I recaptured but I think there are one or two living under my desk eating whatever insects are in my house.
I still think @KezyGLA wins the "most escapees" trophy. If I remember right he had a sac of P. murinus (of all spiders) hatch in moms enclosure and the slings dispersed through the ventilation holes all over his house...

Moon Unit

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much everyone for your kind words and replies...
I spent all day looking...sat down and she walks across the room bold as brass!!!
I think she was under the tv...didn`t even know there was a gap until now...
Yay she is safe! Bet she`ll be stressed for a while though she came onto my hand ok..
Thanks again everyone...now to make this viv much more secure! :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I still think @KezyGLA wins the "most escapees" trophy. If I remember right he had a sac of P. murinus (of all spiders) hatch in moms enclosure and the slings dispersed through the ventilation holes all over his house...
This is correct. It was quite a long time ago too.

I found a 4cm juvenile living in with my Pamphobeteus sp. tigris recently o_O