Enclosure check

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
IMG_2246.JPG My friend is getting her first T, and she sent the above picture as her enclosure.

She will likely getting either a B. hamorii, G. pulchripes or E. parvulus.

What are your thoughts on this enclosure?

Thanks

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Take the stuff out and use the tank for fish. Go to the container store or a store with nice clear storage containers (for shoes or something of similar size) and buy a nice enclosure that's not too small for the T, drill/solder holes around the sides and top of the enclosure, put coco fiber substrate in atleast 3"-4" with no more than the T's length of space between the coco fiber and the lid, put a full water dish in the enclosure (large bottle caps work best), buy a piece of cork bark for a hide or use some sort of plastic cup or clay pot laying sideways (remember to cut off one side to lay on the substrate) (also the hide isn't very necessary for this species but it'll help the T feel safe), buy a g pulchripes and make sure it's atleast a juvenile (3"), feed it a cricket or a mealworm every 4-7 days depending on T size and abdomen size, tell your friend to enjoy!

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
She certainly has a flare for decorating but sadly almost everything in the enclosure is not suitable for a tarantula. Tom Moran's beginner guides at https://tomsbigspiders.com/beginner-guides/ is a fantastic starting point for any new hobbyist or she can search thru arachnoboards to find answers to care and housing questions for all three of the species she might buy. There is a myriad of information on the internet pertaining to this subject she can go thru.

The main problem with the enclosure is the substrate. Coco-fibre is widely used as it's cheep, doesn't easily breed mold, provides a stable footing for the T, and makes cleaning up the cage easier while reducing the overall weight of the enclosure. Sand is also frowned upon as it can seal the mouth of the tarantula making it difficult to feed, may enter the book lungs, and doesn't provide any benefit to the tarantula to make it worth the risk. Definitely take both the rocks and sand out. The rocks in the water bowl can stay as they provide a footing for crickets that may otherwise drown. Screen tops pose a risk to a tarantula as well because they can climb, get a foot caught in the screen, lose a leg, and fall. A solution to this is to replace the screen with a custom cut sheet of acrylic with drilled holes in it for ventilation.

Welcome to the hobby. Hope she enjoys her first tarantula.

boina

Lady of the mites
Uh-oh. Take everything out and start fresh. That's among the least suitable enclosure I've ever seen for a tarantula.

Substrate: Gravel makes it hard for the tarantula to walk and can trap it's feet. It may loose a leg or more in the process.
Sand: I've seen it used sucessfully, but ONLY if you provide a hide so the Tarantula has a place to retreat t and feel safe.

Coco fiber is better for all the reasons stated above: safe surface to walk on and provides the possibility for burrowing if the tarantula decides to do so, at least if you put more in there than there is now gravel.

Next: The tarantula definitely and without question NEEDS a hide, a retreat where they can feel safe.

And then the issues with the heigth of the tank and the screen lid... wouldn't your friend really rather have some fish?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Your friend has got it all wrong I'm afraid, first, all the substrate should be removed, it looks like small pieces of sharp stone and some sand. Change to coco fibre mixed with top-soil 50/50. The depth of the substrate is so shallow a T. Blondi could fall and damage itself. Depending on the size of the spider, there should be a gap 1.5 x the legspan of the T. The water dish takes up almost half of the enclosure, something as simple as a soda bottle lid would serve a better purpose. When putting the new substrate in get your friend to have it at an incline so a hide can be placed underneath part of the substrate so the spider feels safe and secure. The top should be acrylic not mesh the tarsal claws will get caught in the mesh - not a great start. Everything in the set-up needs changing, the fake plants and the sticks are alright but not necessary, they're for aesthetics. Ask your friend to watch @EulersK set up video, kindly provided by @Ungoliant , then your friend will see how a good set up can be achieved.

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
OK so I may be slightly soft in the skull >.<

My friend sent that picture before making any amends. She is in the process of making all the necessary arrangements and will have a nice happy T.

Thanks for all the help and points raised, definitely helped and sorry if I wasted anyone's time!!!!!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
For a split second, I thought this might be an April Fools joke post. Glad your friend will change it -- right now, it's like an example of what not to do.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ditch the screen top, that's a bad idea for Ts. Sub height needs to be no more than 1.5x the Ts Diagonal Leg Span, DLS. No rocks needed in water bowl, regardless of size of T. Would help to know what size T obtained.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
One of the worst I've ever seen. It looks cool, but it doesn't suit the animal that's going to live in it at all. Function/safety first, cool decorations second.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The rocks in the water bowl can be useful because they can prevent feeders from drowning.
Honestly, you shouldn't be leaving feeders in there that long anyway, in case your T molts and is left helpless with something that can potentially kill it.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Honestly, you shouldn't be leaving feeders in there that long anyway, in case your T molts and is left helpless with something that can potentially kill it.
I've found having rocks in a water bowl useful. Often crickets I get from the pet store go straight to the water bowl and end up falling in. Without the rocks I put in the water bowl they would die in minutes. Rocks in a water bowl don't cost anything, pose no risk to the tarantula and can save you money on feeders.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I've found having rocks in a water bowl useful. Often crickets I get from the pet store go straight to the water bowl and end up falling in. Without the rocks I put in the water bowl they would die in minutes. Rocks in a water bowl don't cost anything, pose no risk to the tarantula and can save you money on feeders.
Rocks in the water bowl are a great place for bacteria to ferment. Tarantulas Don't Drown, rocks in the dish should be removed.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Rocks in the water bowl are a great place for bacteria to ferment. Tarantulas Don't Drown, rocks in the dish should be removed.
I haven't had any bacteria growth on mine and they are easy to clean anyway. I never said the rocks were for the tarantula but for the feeders. The bacteria drowned crickets create is far more dangerous to a T than the bacteria that can form on rocks.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I haven't had any bacteria growth on mine and they are easy to clean anyway. I never said the rocks were for the tarantula but for the feeders. The bacteria drowned crickets create is far more dangerous to a T than the bacteria that can form on rocks.
A feeder shouldn't be left in there long enough to drown. If the spider doesn't show interest then remove the feeder and try again another time.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
A feeder shouldn't be left in there long enough to drown. If the spider doesn't show interest then remove the feeder and try again another time.
Some of my finicky tarantulas can take awhile to eat so I'll end up leaving the prey item in for an hour or so. Often the tarantula will end up eating it half an hour after I put it in. Half an hour provides plenty of time for a cricket to drown itself. Rocks aren't necessary but this person has already put them in and since taking them out provides no benefits to the tarantula or owner where keeping them in does there is really no reason she should take them out. Again bacteria on the rocks is not an issue as long as you clean them when you clean the water bowl.