Enclosure check

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Not to sound too wasteful, but frankly, a refused drowned cricket would be easier to remove than a refused living one.
But, I've never had an issue with drowned feeders.
I prefer disposable water dishes and would hate to think I had regularly clean some rocks to return to water dish.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Not to sound too wasteful, but frankly, a refused drowned cricket would be easier to remove than a refused living one.
But, I've never had an issue with drowned feeders.
I prefer disposable water dishes and would hate to think I had regularly clean some rocks to return to water dish.
:confused:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
:happy: Honestly -- make it easier on yourself!!! Skip the rocks (um, no pun intended) and make your life simpler. Life is difficult enough! :)
Or, do it your own way... nothing wrong with that either if you've got the extra time. I'm lazy in areas where it won't matter anyway.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
OK so I may be slightly soft in the skull >.<

My friend sent that picture before making any amends. She is in the process of making all the necessary arrangements and will have a nice happy T.

Thanks for all the help and points raised, definitely helped and sorry if I wasted anyone's time!!!!!
Never a waste of time helping a fellow T keeper, post pictures once the enclosure is set-up correctly, glad your friend took the advice given by so many concerned members, and a picture of the spider that's going to live there!

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
@Ellenantula Stan Schultz the co-author of the Tarantula Keepers Guide has a post addressing this issue in the thread I just posted a link to. You and others might find it to be informative.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
@Ellenantula Stan Schultz the co-author of the Tarantula Keepers Guide has a post addressing this issue in the thread I just posted a link to. You and others might find it to be informative.
Yes, I have the last 2 editions of TKG -- it's been around a while.

I don't really know anyone who still uses rocks in water dishes; but if it makes you happy to use rocks in your water dishes -- then do it! :bored:

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
Yes, I have the last 2 editions of TKG -- it's been around a while.

I don't really know anyone who still uses rocks in water dishes; but if it makes you happy to use rocks in your water dishes -- then do it! :bored:
Than it's odd you would recommend to someone who already has them in their enclosure to remove them. This isn't about me and what other people do is irrelevant. All logic leads to the conclusion that rocks in a water bowl provides a use and when someone asks for advice on a proper enclosure set-up it makes sense to advocate it's use. They can make up their own mind on whether or not to take the advice. There is absolutely no reason to tell someone to remove them or not use them.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Than it's odd you would recommend to someone who already has them in their enclosure to remove them. This isn't about me and what other people do is irrelevant. All logic leads to the conclusion that rocks in a water bowl provides a use and when someone asks for advice on a proper enclosure set-up it makes sense to advocate it's use. They can make up there own mind on wether or not to take the advice. There is absolutely no reason to tell someone to remove them or not use them.
I won't debate this. Maybe you can find someone else in this thread to quote and see if they take your bait. Life is too short for this nonsense -- consider yourself on ignore.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The post is over 4 years old, in his post he does advocate the use of non porous rock, however he did go on to say that you will never find a thread on this forum with regard to a T drowning, it's impossible as they have a waxy like coating which makes them float. You both have a valid point, and each to their own, seems more hassle than it's worth (rocks) IME, they don't need rocks in their water dishes.

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
The post is over 4 years old
Nothing can be refuted simply by time.

however he did go on to say that you will never find a thread on this forum with regard to a T drowning, it's impossible as they have a waxy like coating which makes them float.
:banghead:

The rocks in the water bowl can stay as they provide a footing for crickets that may otherwise drown.
The rocks in the water bowl can be useful because they can prevent feeders from drowning.
I never said the rocks were for the tarantula but for the feeders.
seems more hassle than it's worth (rocks) IME, they don't need rocks in their water dishes.
That's a totally defensible point. They really aren't necessary and may not be worth the time to some.

I am only addressing those who were telling PolarisTR to remove the rocks because of a false belief that they dont provide a use or can be dangerous to a T.

If you don't have them than you don't need to get them. If you do have them why get rid of them, right?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Nothing can be refuted simply by time.

:banghead:

That's a totally defensible point. They really aren't necessary and may not be worth the time to some.

I am only addressing those who were telling PolarisTR to remove the rocks because of a false belief that they dont provide a use or can be dangerous to a T.

If you don't have them than you don't need to get them. If you do have them why get rid of them, right?
I feel the point being that rocks, as you say are not necessary, and can be a breeding ground for bacteria, so why go to all the bother of washing the rocks, replacing them, then rinse and repeat, seems a lot of trouble to go to when they're not needed. Its IME, so if you want to keep using them use them - it's more hassle than necessary, that is why I wouldn't advocate their use.

Last edited:

SchubertHelm

Arachnosquire
I feel the point being that rocks, as you say are not necessary, and can be a breeding ground for bacteria, so why go to all the bother of washing the rocks, replacing them, then rinse and repeat, seems a lot of trouble to go to when they're not needed. Its IME, so if you want to keep using them use of them - it's more hassle than necessary, that is why I wouldn't advocate their use.
Lets just agree to disagree