Dynamic online T database

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The goal of this project is to make a website, with a username and password where you can login and upload date such as molts/feedings for each of the inverts you keep. You will then be able to compare this to all the other users on the site!

I was inspired by some of the other programs floating around, but I felt that these were to static. What is the point if you cant compare them to other keepers info?

When this site is done you will be able to login, update you T/scorp info, and if you want compare it to other keepers data. there will also be a "master" database for each species giving the averages of each data field. It will be completely interactive, with eventually the option to upload pictures of you specimens.

This is going take some time to make work and it's going to take up a lot of my free time and a lot of my bandwidth.

donations are highly appreciated, but if I don't get any that is cool. I'd like to have something like $5 per user for lifetime use. It will only continue to grow! By the end of it we can have feeding/molt times for 100's of species, a true benefit to the hobby.

Before I get started, I want to know if anyone is interested in this. You more than likely WONT be able to import data from other programs but will have to enter it for each of your spiders. But trust me, it will be worth it. We will be able to come up with average growth rates as well as monitoring the effects of temperature and humidity on T's growth rate.

I just want to see if anyone would be interested in a site like this. Once you create your user name you will have access to view everyone else's data, and like I said each species will eventually have and "average" graph giving users and idea of what to expect from each species.

This is an interest check! the more responses I get here the harder I will work on the site. It will have it's own address and be active for at east 3-5 years, building not only a database for one person but for EVERYONE. So you can compare your growth rates and feeding patterns to other hobbyist.

Let me know if you all would be interested in such a site and if so I will get started on it tomorrow!

Thanks - Ryan T. :D

omni

Arachnobaron
Very noble idea! Maybe with an attractive and easy-to-use interface, more ppl will keep track of data.
I'd be interested, right now I keep data logs by pen and paper in notebooks, and it's a hassle to go back through them to pick out individual histories.
Good Luck, I hope something like this comes to be.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very noble idea! Maybe with an attractive and easy-to-use interface, more ppl will keep track of data.
I'd be interested, right now I keep data logs by pen and paper in notebooks, and it's a hassle to go back through them to pick out individual histories.
Good Luck, I hope something like this comes to be.
You wouldn't have to upload each single thing in that case, maybe just species for which there isn't much data :)

I'm going to make the interface super super easy to use. Sure, things will be SLIGHTLY simplified to other programs out there, but all the "important" stuff will be there. The idea isn't to track specifically your specimen, but an average of ALL the specimens people own of those species.

My goal is to have someone be able to upload the entire life history of a specimen in less than 2 minutes, and have it added to the database. I'm going for averages here, not super super specific stuff (there are other methods/programs/routes for that).

It will serve a unique function and be very easy to use :)

omni

Arachnobaron
yeh, what I'd get out of it would be the comparing of avg to a bigger data pool than I have accumulated or could even. Like, I have had 11 diff B. albo slings over the last 18mos, and that's not much molting time data on those I can compare my current pair to.
I don't compile my own data as I go, but only when I'm after the big picture. It's kinda hard to see trends when only having one or two of a sp. to go on, yaknow?

Is your application going to be a script on your server, or is it a web client app?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This sounds pretty cool.
I like the idea of the average growth rate.
I would join for sure:D

Meer

Arachnopeon
I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea. It would be a great resource for both the individual and the community at large. I'd very interested in signing up once it gets rolling.

MoonYin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would join it. this will help newbies like me a great deal:worship: .... great idea

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It would also be cool if people could post how many slings they get per egg sack. Sort of get an avearge sack size.

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What's going to power the database?

What are you going to call it?

Is it just feedings/molts/etc.? Is there going to be a forum?

I tried checking your site out but it's not loading.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it sounds like a great idea. If you need any help, I'll be happy to offer my services. I'm a computer scientist specializing in web application development. In fact I've been working on a ton of cutting-edge concepts that would fit in perfectly with a site like this. I've had a similar idea in the works for sometime, but it will be a long time before anything I do will be ready for public use, mainly because I'm doing everything myself from scratch as part of a larger project.

Obviously my job and my own projects take up most of my time, but if you need help with things like database design or web security etc.. feel free to send me a message anytime :)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its not going to be on my scorpcorp site, i have another domain for it.

probably backed by SQL databses, PHP, and CSS.

it won't be as complicated as that other program (I always forget the name!), but the idea is to get a "bigger" picture, by getting a standardized dataset from a large sample size (all you guys :D )

I wish there was a complete list of all the species in the hobby out there.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK a full list of T species is ridiculous, so the input for your T will rely on you entering the FULL scientific name spelled CORRECTLY. :D

Also, there will be an OPTIONAL payment to join. Basically running off donations so there will be no need for ads. But the cost of running it will likely be $4-500 a year at least so please opt to donate!

I'm "mapping" the site out now on paper. :D

It could take one day to make a bare bones version, it could take 3 weeks...

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK the T data will come first, the sac number and stuff will come later once a format is worked out and some breeders join up.

about to spend $20 on a domain name :( :) :(

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
OK the T data will come first, the sac number and stuff will come later once a format is worked out and some breeders join up.

about to spend $20 on a domain name :( :) :(
The number format is what will make this a success vs a failure IMO. It ought to be full/fool proof. htis is the part that a lot of thought and input be focused on. I have given it a great deal of thought in the past, and am personally thankful for you doing this.

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A precise and consistently-updated list of T species would be awesome. An integrated forum where users (or just paying members) can post replies to a certain T's thread that could supplement any caresheet on the site, basically sharing their own testimonies of the T's husbandry, size, etc. These, of course, should be closely moderated as to prevent any inexperienced advice.

I dunno. Just ideas for you. I'd like to check out what you're doing. Any idea what you're going to name it?

You're on the right track with MySQL, PHP, and CSS. Be sure to religiously check http://www.w3.org/ in order to make sure the site is standards compliant in both its XHTML and CSS. Certification makes you look good! Accessibility should be your number one priority with any web project.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the longevity of the project as a whole needed to make the information gathered usable in a practical manner will be lacking. Collating the information into a usable form, disregarding deaths of sac mates, accurate causes of death, differences in keeping from feeding frequency to substrate types, differences in feeders, differences between owner A's large cricket size and Owner B's, temperature differences, environmental differences both within the enclosure and external (is growth in south Texas=to growth in northern Illinois), getting accurate information on clutch mates, a large enough "long term" user base, recording of missed feeding due to vacation, moving and far too many other factors that may have effects we are not aware of will cause this information to be unusable in any meaningful way. Out of all the members here, how many keep accurate and detailed records? I have no idea when my lividum last molted, it came out of it's hole one day larger and brighter after nearly 8 months of never seeing it once. A nice idea, but the overwhelming response from all the members is lacking especially among the commercial and hobbyist breeders and dealers, I appluade your desire to advance to hobby in a scientific manner Tabor but if you sink any cash into it I'll be one to say that you are wasting cash better spent in other ways. Not wanting to shoot your idea down, but I have to call it as I see it.
Rev
Rev

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I have thought about all that reverendsterlin and I'm working on ways around it, so even if a guy posts 2 tidbits of info about his Rosie, it will be in a standardized format. Sure it won't be the most detailed record or database, but the important factors will be in there and almost impossible to screw up (hopefully).

There will be no forums, no discussions (at first), just pure raw data in an easy to enter, easy to read, fashion.