Dynamic online T database

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok so here is the rough work (ie no style, just the back bone.) I couldn't allow unlimited variable, or have them all be text fields, as there would be no consistency. As such I narrowed this down to the 11 most important factors:

Genus, species, date of record, event (new arrival, death, molt, breeding), sex (unknown, male, female, MM), size, diet, feeding frequency, temps, humidity, and finally your user name on the database forums.

Here's an example of how it would work:

Let's say I got a new pokie this month (I did)

Now after 3 weeks of power feeding it molted and I sexed it!

Now I want to pull up my data, it just so happens I already entered the records of my female B smithi, so they are seen there too, everything on the table is sorted by Genus, then date, then user name. So a casual glance at this table not only shows that I got a new pokie, but that keeping my B. smithi hot, low humidity, and power feeding her resulted in tremendous growth over a year.

Keep in mind this is a ROUGH version. The final, stylized version, will look much nicer, but have the same functionality (and more)!

I've put in about 10 hours of work into this and the soon to be up and running forums. Once they are up I will ask for $5-10 donations from users, but it is by no means required.

Let me know how you think its shaping up, and I will keep you posted :D

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
So far so good.

have you thought of Serialization numbering for T's? If so what are you thinking to keep the numbers organized?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So far so good.

have you thought of Serialization numbering for T's? If so what are you thinking to keep the numbers organized?
Yes, it will be added later and stored in a DIFFERENT database, that then after the fact adds into or onto the database above for those who choose to use it. Actually, it might be easier to have a standard for the number and have it added to the same database, while its in the bare bones format.

The Sac# thing is a great idea but it will most definitely have to be in a different database. The T serial number can then be added to that sac and the sacs progress tracked.

Actually I will add the serial thing right now, I like that idea. Once again though I will have to come up with away to standardize it and make it practical for the average hobbyist. Adding to the database WON'T be an issue, formatting the data before it goes to the database, in a standardized way, will be.

:} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

If anyone wants to make ANY donation now, my paypal is rat03c@fsu.edu
just put it down as a cash advance and the topic tarantula DB, include your user name in the form below, as well as your anticipated user name on the database.

If this thing takes off I'm looking at a yearly cost of $300 just in bandwidth/hosting costs, so I might hold yearly donation contests and raffles and such.

I don't mind doing the WORK for free it's the practical costs (hosting, bandwidth, domain services, ect.) that are costs I can't afford alone, and if we want this to be sustainable donations will EVENTUALLY become almost a necessity.

in the mean time donate if you, don't if you don't want to!

{D

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What is your database schema like...is it all just one table? I know you're going for simplicity, but with that setup you're going to have a lot of ambiguity and integrity problems. What if you have 2 T's of the same species, how can you tell them apart?

Ideally you'd want one table for species, another for individual T's, and a third for "events". This way you could first add a T of a certain species, get a unique ID for the T, then add events like molting, etc. for that T.

Like I said, this is what I do for a living (currently writing some ridiculous MySQL queries), so I can help out if you want to implement something a bit more robust.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is your database schema like...is it all just one table? I know you're going for simplicity, but with that setup you're going to have a lot of ambiguity and integrity problems. What if you have 2 T's of the same species, how can you tell them apart?

Ideally you'd want one table for species, another for individual T's, and a third for "events". This way you could first add a T of a certain species, get a unique ID for the T, then add events like molting, etc. for that T.

Like I said, this is what I do for a living (currently writing some ridiculous MySQL queries), so I can help out if you want to implement something a bit more robust.
I'm working on stuff like this now. The basic info like that above, each T is going to get it's own unique ID, that's what I'm working on right now. When things get more complicated there will be more than table (sacs and such), but in the meantime the goal is to gather as much raw data as possible.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It will look a little more like this:

and this (each T will have it's own unique ID, its not just that number either, theres some hidden data, but for entry all you need to know is that number and enter it to the corresponding T. If you get a new T or are adding a new T to the database there are instructions on how to make it. its pretty easy!)

is it perfect? not yet, but i've got plans, and that simple TID# will help A LOT further down the line. Just keep track of yours for each T :D

but i'm done for the day, got "real job" stuff to do, and brainstorm some about the site.

edit: for you programming sticklers out there the TID# is not the complete way each unique T is tracked, just part of it. I've been trouble shooting it in private for the last day. If anyone is interested in uploading the life history of 1-2 of their T's than please PM me and I will give the address of the test sites. Thanks!

Last edited:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Me and Travis have been trouble shooting all day. Phew. Finally got the basics down. He had some great suggestions, and uncovered some bugs as well. In about a week it will be a free for all, basically anybody can post whatever, but note that before the site goes live all this data will be deleted, so don't go entering your whole collection, maybe just the records of one or two of your specimens.

Things are going great though and from this basic table/data format I will be able to add on a ton of neat features in the future.

The forums/database will go "live" in about a week. There will be sections where you can discuss a specific T and it's life in more detail, and link these people to your T's record in the database.

Eventually egg sacs will be traced, and genealogy can be tracked.

Pheeeeew. Time for bed and work in morning! {D

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK so I got bored (or I am a workaholic) and have come up with the rough code for note viewing the ENTIRE table but just viewing it by say genus, TID#, user, etc...

This will be very useful.

I want the forums to work and look good when it goes live so give me another week or two.

No donations so far :(

You guys are still interested in this right? I'm only doing it for the benefit of the hobby, and I am going to rely on YOU the average hobbyist to make this thing a success.

Anyways, SERIOUSLY done coding for a day or two ("real job argh"). But things are working out excellently thus far, thanks in no small part to those who helped me troubleshoot the basic database.

And don't worry, the forums will provide tutorials on how to get the most out of everything, as well as provide threads where people can give more detailed accounts of a specific T and link to a table with nothing but its records :D

Thanks to those who troubleshooted for me, and thanks to those who continue to show interest! It's you guys that keep me going on this project. And if I might boast for a second, this is going to be awesome. The data collected will be able to be used in so many ways it's almost unimaginable. The future features that can be added are equally limitless.

I just don't like to see my thread with me making the last 4 posts in a row! Come on guys show your support! You don't have to donate, just a simple
"yeah I would use this or be interested in it" response will keep me chugging away on the site.

Peace and love for all - Ryan

JimPP

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is a good idea deff. But on the TID# why rely on the user to type it, when it very easyly can be auto-generated?

What language are you programming in? I can PM you the snippet if we are talking PHP, ASP(.NET) or ColdFusion.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a good idea deff. But on the TID# why rely on the user to type it, when it very easyly can be auto-generated?

What language are you programming in? I can PM you the snippet if we are talking PHP, ASP(.NET) or ColdFusion.
The TID# isn't auto generate for a number of reasons, which will become clear later, but it is not the ONLY thing identifying the T in the database... trust me, I put a lot of brain power into this one.

SQL and PHP. I MAY need snippets in the future, but for now things are under control. I've been programming almost as long as I've been in the hobby, just haven't done it in a while... so it's sort of like riding a bike, and I am back on that bike {D

Thanks for volunteering your services though! I may hit a wall some day and just need a second pair of eyes to look over some of my code. :D

Last edited:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
So far so good, i have added fictitious data for testing the table and Tabor has all the bugs worked out of the current model.

Keeping this thing in a "fluid like experimental" stage is what will make this really good or just plain lame. I really like Ryan's model for the data base thus far minus some little stuff. Specifically the T-ID numbering, but there is more than one way to skin a goat.

I have literally lost sleep thinking about this:wall: , but oh well.{D

I think one ought to have to register the/a T-ID before they are able to enter any data.

First- once new to the site users must register themselves, creating user name and password.

Second- registered users can log on and start registering their spiders(eventually all types of inverts). In order to register your T and get it a T-ID you would be brought to a page where you are asked Genus, then Species, then Sac info(note that all newly registered T without sac identification will have X's in place of Sac #'s), then you can enter in like 5 or so characters for individuality. this would mean that spiders form the same sac would have the same T-ID except the last 5 or so characters.

So lets say I have a Poecilotheria regalis, sling that I just purchased.

Poecilotheria might have a species code of - po (alpha characters might be easier to read, thanks Tabor;) )

Regalis could be coded as - re

Sac# for an unregistered sac would simply be - xxxxx-xxxxx or what ever numbering/character system we collective come up with as being the most efficient

Individual Characters - tpreg1 or what ever? but this number can not be duplicated.

so you would have a T-ID# looking something like;
po-re-xxxx-xxxx-tpreg1

Now lets say you had a sac # to go by eventually, so same spider that actually came from a registered sac of pr123-prtk4 the T-ID# would read;
po-re-pr123-prtk4-tpreg1

Only users associated with that serial# can go into that profile and add information. Totally unique serial numbers are IMO the solution for registered T's that are traded and or sold. In the event that a registered T is sold or traded to someone else the seller can register the T as sold and receive a temporary password to unlock said T's profile to the new owner/user. Upon new owner/users unlocking the T-ID profile it will then be associated with that user and no one else would have access to updating data for that T except the new owner of that T.

Sorry Tabor this is the only area that I have issues with in regards to the current format.

Come on peeps, I know we have some programing geeks out there that might have some really good ideas. Lets hear them. I need to go back and get the rat link form a similar thread. It might have some good format ideas for this. Rats?, come on T's are way cooler:cool:

Last edited:

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds pretty good. You guys know your programming. I've constructed a standard form and a calculator using PHP, but that's it. My PHP book has sat on the shelf collecting dust for almost 4 years now.

Let me know if you guys need help with the design. I'm looking forward to the new forums. I'm not a breeder, but I can still register my tarantulas, right? Will they show on my profile?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I'm not a breeder, but I can still register my tarantulas, right? Will they show on my profile?
it is gonna be the small people that are the real big contributors to the actual life time information gathered from this data base, which is Tabor Passion, I am more interested in the identification aspect of the whole thing.

So yeah, Breeders are going to be needed to get registered sac information, from there it goes into your hands. That is where we might gain some collective insights into our T and actually contribute scientific information, and make Rick West eat his words, LOL.;P

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Also just registering a T and getting the information documented will contribute a great deal of data, even if your current adult T didn't come from a registered sac. I am confident that eventually we will have some T's documented from 1st instar to finally death, all we need is dedication and time.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the "real" TID# is the TID# + the username, so if its sold it's unique identifier changes, but the TID# doesn't so people can go back and look up its life history with previous owner.

each T would have it's own series of things in the database that make it unique, the TID# is just what makes it easy for people to look up one particular spider, etc. Sac numbers will be something like: the two mating T's TID#'s+the month/year it was added to the database. so a theoretical SAC# could look like this:

Preg1zx2.Preg1sss.0608

then under each sac, would be listed all the T's that people knew come from that sac, and their records.

trust me, it wont be an issue. I'm adding more "events" to the pull down menu, such as sold, it's all gravy now that the basic database is configured properly. You're way over thinking this thing IMO Travis, there's a bunch of hidden variables in each database entry that make not only each T unique but also each ENTRY unique.

probably won't work on it much tonight as I had a tiring day at work. But will still be "brainstorming" ways to make this work.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also...

no More Discussing The Sac Thing Until The Basic Site Is Up And Running!!! Please :d

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you using auto_increment id fields in your tables? That seems like a simpler way to uniquely identify Ts instead of the TID#.

I don't mean to barge in here like Mr know-it-all, but it seems like you guys are having a lot of trouble solidifying your database schema, which is usually the most frustrating part of building a web app. At work I'm working with a database that has over 35 tables and we're constantly having to go back to the drawing board because of unexpected anomolies.

I'm going to be free pretty much this whole weekend, so I can put a few hours into this and help out it you want. I can also add in some security and input validation code.

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sounds like a great Idea.

sounds like a really great way to advance the hobby and really make a huge contribution.

Nice.

So many benifits and possibilitys.
This would be somthing to combat the fear of Hybreds, having almost like a carfax report on a T.
I would pay more for a breeder T that had "papers" as added value.
It would contribute greatly as a database for tracking the hobbie and its movements. Excellant for breeders and dealers to keep track of where threre stock was and is.
I think it would be great if it had a varying degree of envolvment and Aptitude required so that all hobbyist could mutually benifit.
I dont see why dealers and breeders who benifit more couldnt pay more and Joe shmoe's who may only use it to check on a specific T of species pay a lifetime membership of 5.00's
Also the picture thing I think would be great but wow talk about really getting involved.
Way to contribute, I hope you at least make some dough off this if not get rich.
Good luck and let me know if I can help.

-Ian

Last edited:

Arachnosold1er

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great ideas and great job! Definitely dont stop working on this! I cant wait to see and use the final product