Do you look like a spider person???

cold blood

Staff member
0829131727a.jpg 1005121242a_219686.jpg Resized952016103195110259.jpg
wow that is gorgeous. Where do you go fishing? Is it Lake Michigan? We have a pier out here at our local beach on the Puget Sound. We get lots of salmon and also crabs. It is so wonderful to live near the water.
Yeah I am like 2 blocks from Lake Michigan. Funnily enough, we have the same basic fishery in Lake Michigan, in fact most of our strains come directly from Washington and Oregon...especially our steelhead strains like the Skamania and Chambers creek, for example.

And that's also where our original coho and Chinook stock came from.

cold blood

Staff member
Like that's special. :rolleyes: Lake Michigan is so big, I'm practically 2 blocks from it. :troll:
Yeah its huge...so big it actually has more in common with the ocean than it does with standard inland lakes...tides, currents, etc....I always explain it as more of a series of rivers, covered by a lake. Wind direction can cause water temps to drop 20 degrees in a matter of hours, even on a 100 degree day...its definitely special.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is a fun thread! I look like a cute suburban soccer mom but I’m actually far too lazy to put my kids in soccer. They wanted a pet, but I’m far too lazy to have a dog. Hence the tarantulas. People are shocked to learn that.

I’d rather listen to talk radio than music any day of the week. Though lately I’ve been listening to a lot of 21 Pilots one account of the aforementioned children.
I like a few 21 pilots songs. I pretty much like a lot of music styles though.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
View attachment 256115 View attachment 256117 View attachment 256119
Yeah I am like 2 blocks from Lake Michigan. Funnily enough, we have the same basic fishery in Lake Michigan, in fact most of our strains come directly from Washington and Oregon...especially our steelhead strains like the Skamania and Chambers creek, for example.

Awesome! I am 2 blocks from the Puget Sound, not a big deal @miss moxie because it is also big like Lake Michigan.

It is quite a treat getting salmon. I grew up in Idaho so of course I love trout and grew up fly fishing there (usually catch and release)- but wow- it is different with the large bodies of water. Over the summer we had some stress in the house because we had TOO MUCH SALMON and not enough room in the freezer. What a problem to have! Only a few miles away is a reservation where we can buy salmon for cheap too, including very cheap chum to give to the dogs, which they love.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah its huge...so big it actually has more in common with the ocean than it does with standard inland lakes...tides, currents, etc....I always explain it as more of a series of rivers, covered by a lake. Wind direction can cause water temps to drop 20 degrees in a matter of hours, even on a 100 degree day...its definitely special.
I've seen it. It was incredible. But I've always loved the water. Never got to see the ocean until I was 19 but I was floored immediately. If I live in a cabin with tons of windows on waterfront property with a couple acres, I'd die satisfied.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

But the Great Lakes are always so cold. Down here the Gulf gets 85 degrees in the summer, which is about right for me, but then you have to watch you don't step on stingrays.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
But the Great Lakes are always so cold. Down here the Gulf gets 85 degrees in the summer, which is about right for me, but then you have to watch you don't step on stingrays.
Okay, I KNOW you mean in the water but I'm a smart:mooning: so I thought about the poor Florida resident who goes to step into their shower, half asleep, and step on a stingray. Getting into your car and sitting on a stingray.

But then I remembered that's what the alligators are for, so.

cold blood

Staff member
There is that, its a coldwater lake....but its also nice on those hot summer days, because the breeze off its akin to industrial air conditioning. You can go out a few miles in the hot summer, and you might need a sweatshirt or fleece, yet get home and its oppressively hot...conversely, because its sooooo large, that volume of water rarely freezes, and as a result, in winter it actually keeps things around the lake milder...sometimes we can get 8 inches of snow, but by the lake, it just rains.

But no, there's nothing dangerous living in the water...great for the dogs...I can't imagine running the dog on a beach and having it step on a ray, or get munched by a bull shark.:confused:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 256115 View attachment 256117 View attachment 256119

You look like a spy from a James Bond movie in all your pictures. Must be the sun glasses! ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have really sensitive eyes, and it tends to be really bright on the water. I live in sunglasses.
Polarized?

I use polarized every time I go fishing to see through the Water better.

Actually I use them all the time while outside or driving.

cold blood

Staff member
You’re either very small or your sunglasses big. o_Oo_Oo_O
I'm average size...5'10 and a half and 165lb...but I have a narrow head, so its hard to find glasses that fit...I often buy childrens sizes.....on the water I don't care about the look though, just want my eyeballs protected, and I want them to perform well.
Polarized?

I use polarized every time I go fishing to see through the Water better.

Actually I use them all the time while outside or driving.
There is only polarized...the rest are just fashion statements. Just got a new pair of Costa del mar, which are specifically designed for use around water. Maui Jim and costa have the best polarization available when it comes to the water.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm average size...5'10 and a half and 165lb...but I have a narrow head, so its hard to find glasses that fit...I often but childredns sizes.....on the water idon't care about the look though, just want my eyeballs protected.

There is only polarized...the rest are just fashion statements. Just got a new pair of Costa del mar, which are specifically designed for use around water. Maui Jim and costa have the best polarization available when it comes to the water.

I have that problem with my regular glasses. My face is smaller and thus I don't want those giant frames that appear to be all you can find anywhere. It's super annoying.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'm average size...5'10 and a half and 165lb...but I have a narrow head, so its hard to find glasses that fit...I often buy childredns sizes.....on the water I don't care about the look though, just want my eyeballs protected, and I want them to perform well.

I'm average size...5'10 and a half and 165lb...but I have a narrow head, so its hard to find glasses that fit...I often buy childredns sizes.....on the water I don't care about the look though, just want my eyeballs protected, and I want them to perform well.

Twas being daft. "I live in sunglasses".

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
Love it all- some of my favorite composers. I grew up playing piano and played a lot of these songs so while I enjoy it, I have some odd personal associations with classical music. I think that's why I like Tom Waits so much because he is a pianist at heart.
Oof, you must really really good, the William tell overture is extremely hard, the ballads are the easiest of them.