Do you have ''Bad Luck'' species?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Quite surprised, my T.gigas is probably my most simple T to care for, give it a little water and let it ninja attack its food. As for me my A.anax died on me while my E.murinus, pokies, avics etc all are pretty happy and healthy. Granted the T was a very small sling (less than 1/2 inch) and I know deaths are common at that stage as I've raised wolf spider slings; I can always get another (got mine as a freebie) and will try again.
Well my A.anax is not dead, was about to empty out the vial and he popped out so I gave him some water an a roach, so he should be fine.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Lampropelma genus. No problem with slings but once they hit adult/penultimate they get some issues. :/

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I cannot get my freakin S. polymorpha to eat, haha.. she goes on long hunger strikes, and seems to prefer chasing my hand.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Iridopelma Recife. Had 3 of them and 2 wouldnt eat and the last one got stuck in a molt. Sucks cause they are really beautiful and hard to find. Not sure if I did anything wrong or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello.

In case you find the title a bit obscure, simply... Is there a species that keeps dying on you while you bring many other to adulthood with no problems?
More precisely : You keep loosing a species that have the reputation to be hardy and indestructible, while you succeed with supposedly fragile species.

I my case, I totally screwed up with genus Selecosmia, lost all of them before maturity while I lost very little Avic babies. I have been very unlucky with Lampropelmas as well...

What species is your badluck kind?
I have had bad times with avic slings, they died alot on me before, but it is fine now.

Merfolk: If it is lampropelma niggerrimum you talk about, just keep them pretty dry and good warmth and they do very well, too much humidity and they die quickly.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
Yeah...P. pulcher. .
Yep, that was one of mine that didn't make it. And the other was a P. murinus. I bought another larger P. murinus but will hold off on the P. pulcher until I can find a larger one, if that will make any difference. Both of them died using the same kind of container...not going to go with this again. Not enough ventilation, I think, unless I drill more holes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Heckboy

Arachnopeon
Eleven of my T's came to me as tiny slings, now all past their "fragile" stage and some now juveniles with no real issues.
The only two that just up and died were both G. roseas, of all things.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you very much, it gives a better perspective on the situation... There are Ts that were supposed to survive the armaggedon and died on me, others from the ''you are Lucky if this thing gets over 1 inche LS'' type still thrive.

I tough I would give up on those genuses but will give a last try (when I have some $$$)

---------- Post added 05-09-2014 at 12:56 PM ----------

Ultimate case of illogic outcome :I had a T apophysis (a sp that is supposed to die whenever temps go under 10C/55F according to some ppl's experience) and I found the room it was in totally frozen with a little pile of snow by the window. The previous day was new year's eve party and some guest went there and left the window open overnight (Québec, Jan the 1st, snow to my waiste, you spit and it freezes in mid-air...) so I found my T in what I would call a ''reverse death curl'' ie its legs were up in the air and hunched over its back and it looked frozen solid. I picked it up to throw it to the trash and... I felt it move!!! The T remained paralized for months (dipped its face in water and cricket guts periodically), molted, spent a few other months as a pet rock and molted again, this time in full health! Incredible.

On the other hand, I had OBTs die while being totally pampered. I assume it's fate...

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Mod note: on topic, please

Homo sapiens-- many should be shot for their sheer idiocy and lack of common sense, or at least not allowed to breed! They need to be removed from our society permanently.

Britain successfully did this. They took all their crap and shipped it far away to Australia. After all that breeding, they are a very peaceful nation. SO there is a successful model for this in the real world !!
???

Let's keep it on topic, eh? The topic in question is tarantulas..."bad luck" species. I won't even address your bizarre notions of history or common sense.

Last edited: