Do you have ''Bad Luck'' species?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello.

In case you find the title a bit obscure, simply... Is there a species that keeps dying on you while you bring many other to adulthood with no problems?
More precisely : You keep loosing a species that have the reputation to be hardy and indestructible, while you succeed with supposedly fragile species.

I my case, I totally screwed up with genus Selecosmia, lost all of them before maturity while I lost very little Avic babies. I have been very unlucky with Lampropelmas as well...

What species is your badluck kind?

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
P. rufiliata slings, I had two at seperate times. The first one was a failure to thrive, it never ate, huddled in a corner all the time and eventually died. The other one died after a bad molt not to long after I got it. Not interested in keeping them again. I have raised 3 different Poecilotheria species to maturity (MM) and currently own two adult sized females.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Psalmopoeus irminia
Tapinauchenius gigas
Quite surprised, my T.gigas is probably my most simple T to care for, give it a little water and let it ninja attack its food. As for me my A.anax died on me while my E.murinus, pokies, avics etc all are pretty happy and healthy. Granted the T was a very small sling (less than 1/2 inch) and I know deaths are common at that stage as I've raised wolf spider slings; I can always get another (got mine as a freebie) and will try again.

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Similar one regarding egg cases.
I only got a successful regalis sac after my 3rd or 4th attempt, while species like miranda, formosa and metallica I got sacs from on my first attempt, even though regalis is considered an easier one.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I have one bad luck T. Not species, a particular T. It's alive still, because it's a tough little bugger. One of my E campestratus has had the worst luck with me bungling like an idiot. On virtually every occasion with every T I own up to and including my most defensive old worlds I am adept, and everything goes off without a hitch. I have been doing this forever after all. Well, this poor girl (well say) has had her enclosure dropped, her burrow cave in because I totally jammed the forceps into the substrate while I was retrieving a bolus or two, was accidentally dumped out with substrate (after I swore I had moved her into a new home) and recently started out a molt badly (some added moisture and some time I'm a humid warmer microclimate while in her enclosure helped pop right out. Quite literally none off accidents have happened with any other spider. She's a trooper, and I'm fairly certain after all this she's going to live forever.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hello.

In case you find the title a bit obscure, simply... Is there a species that keeps dying on you while you bring many other to adulthood with no problems?
More precisely : You keep loosing a species that have the reputation to be hardy and indestructible, while you succeed with supposedly fragile species.

I my case, I totally screwed up with genus Selecosmia, lost all of them before maturity while I lost very little Avic babies. I have been very unlucky with Lampropelmas as well...

What species is your badluck kind?
Mine is any of the AVICS I refuse to try any more with those.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Homo sapiens-- many should be shot for their sheer idiocy and lack of common sense, or at least not allowed to breed! They need to be removed from our society permanently.

Britain successfully did this. They took all their crap and shipped it far away to Australia. After all that breeding, they are a very peaceful nation. SO there is a successful model for this in the real world !!

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Homo sapiens-- many should be shot for their sheer idiocy and lack of common sense, or at least not allowed to breed!
i was going to say something like this [seen as he posted].. but i just knew youd want to :) and besides i figured you could word it oh so much better XD

Last edited:

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
scorpions, my first pair died the day after arrival, the second set was DOA (tarantulas were fine...) third one did the one day im fine one day I decay. I think im going to stick with T's...

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Avic Diversipes are the only babies I've lost.Even the one I still have left seems to live life by her own schedule,going off feed at will.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I haven't been at it long enough to form any theories, but have had a problem with one of my vendors, I think. I deal with 3-4 different ones and have lost two very different slings from just one vendor. Not sure why, they were kept according to culture, ate well, seemed "happy" (webbed and/or burrowed) and then stopped eating and just withered away...both were close to 1", and I have smaller ones that have done better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah...P. pulcher. The first 3 I ordered all arrived DOA, except one that was fine the day it arrived, ate, and was dead the next. No reason. The 4th one is now the MM that is still kicking after his ultimate molt last year.

Also, A. diversipes. Had 2 slings get stuck molting and one female juvie dying 2 days after molting for no reason.

Aside that...I'm good.