DIY enclosure questions

Spidergrrl

Arachnopeon
Curious, why do you use silicone? They should stay with the tabs....?
Just seems more secure. I drill my holes with a hole saw and with the tabs only there is just a little wobble room. I did try a test with one of the two inch ones and was able to push the screen loose but it took more pressure than I think any of the spiders I would have in that sized enclosure would be able to produce.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just seems more secure. I drill my holes with a hole saw and with the tabs only there is just a little wobble room. I did try a test with one of the two inch ones and was able to push the screen loose but it took more pressure than I think any of the spiders I would have in that sized enclosure would be able to produce.
Ah I see- what type of hole saw do you use? I don't mean the brand.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
@viper a hole saw is a hole saw is a hole saw...then there are other types of drill bits that work to make circular holes.....spade tips, forstner bits, etc. 8)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper a hole saw is a hole saw is a hole saw...then there are other types of drill bits that work to make circular holes.....spade tips, forstner bits, etc. 8)
Your statement is wrong. That's like saying, all nails or screws are the same, or that all drill bits are the same. I think you should look up hole saw, you will find at least 3 different types (NOT brands) that I know of off the top of my head. I know what I'm talking about.

otoha0309

Arachnopeon
a lot of useful info here, thanks folks. ya make me feel welcome lol

---------- Post added 12-26-2013 at 11:12 AM ----------

i got the hole saw i use for 12 dollars at lowes
My friend dropped me a lead on a huge Dremel kit on sale at Harbor Freight for the holidays, $20 for a huge kit with any bit i could ever need. probably gone now but i cant imagine a better kit for building custom enclosures.

trailblazin02

Arachnopeon
Hobby lobby in Rockford has the plastic cubes. Every time I go to Rockfor I pick up a few of them along with fake plants since there so cheap and just use a drill press with a small bit for ventilation. Saves buying hole saws and vents and leaves more money for Ts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hobby lobby in Rockford has the plastic cubes. Every time I go to Rockfor I pick up a few of them along with fake plants since there so cheap and just use a drill press with a small bit for ventilation. Saves buying hole saws and vents and leaves more money for Ts
Blazin, what type of bit do you use for the holes. I use some small brad point bits. They do a decent job. What, if any, type of lubrication do you use for drilling?

trailblazin02

Arachnopeon
For the smaller holes just a .093" bit spinning around 1100 rpm. And I did some 10 conversions with a bunch of 1/2 holes using a klein step bit. No lubrication at all. But it also helps I make cutting tools for a job. So I have many options for cutting and drilling holes

Sent from my SCH-R530U

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For the smaller holes just a .093" bit spinning around 1100 rpm. And I did some 10 conversions with a bunch of 1/2 holes using a klein step bit. No lubrication at all. But it also helps I make cutting tools for a job. So I have many options for cutting and drilling holes

Sent from my SCH-R530U
An acrylic tank maker I met, showed me a bit he used, it was very pointy. Hard for me to describe really. It sort of looks like a normal bit, but he did tell me it has a 90 degree angle at the tip. He doesn't need any lubrication. I'm spinning the drilling a BIT too fast I can tell. Sounds like you work in a machine shop, all sorts of great "toys". I'd love to drill w/out lubrication.

trailblazin02

Arachnopeon
Yea we have a bunch of lathes mills and manual bridge port machines so I can make or fab anything I want really. We make some tiny drills for a company that drills hard nylon plastics and have a special point that we can sharpen for them that works very well too.

Sent from my SCH-R530U

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea we have a bunch of lathes mills and manual bridge port machines so I can make or fab anything I want really. We make some tiny drills for a company that drills hard nylon plastics and have a special point that we can sharpen for them that works very well too.

Sent from my SCH-R530U
I wish I had access to those, that's really cool.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tap Plastics sells bits specifically ground for drilling acrylic: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/supplies_tools/plastic_tools_supplies/tap_plasdrill_bits/161. They're a little pricy though.
Oh yeah I know about them thanks anyway. W/the right speed and lubrication I'm able to drill just right (the plastic should come out as a single piece according to one of the plastic sites I read), but that takes a lot of practice. I tend to drill too fast or too slow hah.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
Curious, why do you use silicone? They should stay with the tabs....?
I've always liked the look of round vents, but the tabs sometimes ruin the aesthetic for me if they protrude past the frame of the vent (something which only seems to be an issue if you use thin acrylic).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always liked the look of round vents, but the tabs sometimes ruin the aesthetic for me if they protrude past the frame of the vent (something which only seems to be an issue if you use thin acrylic).

I feel the same way man..same here. I've seen vents and they looked great, and then I see the inside, and it looks like mangled dryer venting.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
I don't think they look that bad given the ease of installation. I guess you could cut off the tabs and use super-glue or Weld-On 16 cement to glue them in the holes.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I feel the same way man..same here. I've seen vents and they looked great, and then I see the inside, and it looks like mangled dryer venting.
Agreed, even though for me it's not so much the inside of the enclosure that I care about as the tabs being visible from the outside (see shebeen's pic in the above post).

I don't think they look that bad given the ease of installation. I guess you could cut off the tabs and use super-glue or Weld-On 16 cement to glue them in the holes.
I should've prefaced this with the disclaimer that I'm (knowingly) being quite nit-picky. I'm gradually moving my collection over to zoo-quality-ish natural setups and it's been a struggle to find the right balance between convenience, cost, and sating my own outrageous standards for aesthetics (lol). I meant no offense to you in regard to the way you do things; I think it looks fine for enclosures like the one pictured above.

I hesitate to cut the tabs so as not to leave jagged shards of aluminum. However, I bet if I use thicker pieces of acrylic the tabs will not be visible from the outside.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think those tabs are fine, they arent mangled. Let me know when you find the right balance I'm in the same boat as you