Distance

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Theres something that bugs me about this hobby. Its not the spiders, or some kind of attitude or anything. Its simply that, everyone seems to be so spread out. Breeders/dealers seem to have gotten together at some point and said "Alright, we'll all just move to where there are maybe two of us in the same state, and some states we wont live in at all because reasons." Im not saying they dont have the right to live or do business wherever they want, i just think its kinda funny. I guess its not really so much about distance as it is about being a rather.... borderline-underground community. I searched "Arkansas" on the boards earlier and the only posts within 3 years that even mention the word are either mine or talkingabout Aphonopelma hentzi. I love talkin to you guys on the boards, but i would also love to have someone i could connect with in person and learn from. I can learn by reading just fine, but im much more visual. And youtube isnt much better than reading sometimes. There hasnt been a convention or whatever you wanna call it within driving range for 2 years. I dunno, this is just something thats been on my mind lately. My friends are interested but not to the point I am and you guys on a screen are the only people that actually get anything i have to say and youre just a screen. Make sense? Its a solitary hobby and i wish it wasnt. There it is, thats what its about. Not distance or being "underground". Ive rambled. I apologize, but im posting it anyways. Maybe some of you will be able to relate.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There are no arachnid shows in my country as the hobby here is tiny so I can relate to you on that.

Lighten up. At least you have native Theraphosidae. ;)

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
There are no arachnid shows in my country as the hobby here is tiny so I can relate to you on that.

Lighten up. At least you have native Theraphosidae. ;)
Wasnt trying to be dark, i just have to get some of the thoughts out of my head sometimes, otherwise they just bounce around in my head forever. The only species in my entire state is Aphonopelma hentzi. Theyre alright, but I read someone on here saying it took his 7 years to reach three inches. Nnnnnno thanks, i have very little patience. Id need to somehow stumble upon an adult female to be satisfied.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes I understand what you mean. I wish I lived in the rainforests of Costa Rica or the jungles of Vietnam. Scotland is very boring place for this hobby so I have done almost all my research throughout the years by looking at screens.

Theyre alright, but I read someone on here saying it took his 7 years to reach three inches.
Yeah that was me aha. Slowww growing. Definitely not for the impatient

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Yeah that was me aha.
Id forgotten who it was! Ha! Your story is the reason I'll never get a sling of that species. People say "slow growing" but actually hearing an example of growth rate will really kill a species for ya.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Id forgotten who it was! Ha! Your story is the reason I'll never get a sling of that species. People say "slow growing" but actually hearing an example of growth rate will really kill a species for ya.
I have a female Lasiodorides polycuspulatus these are also another slow growing species that's why I got a female lol.

I think the key to having slow growing species is if you hate to wait shell out for a female so it'll be worth the wait for adulthood.

Second get many other species that you like which are fast growers, they'll somewhat take your mind off the slow grower lol

Last edited:

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
@JoshDM020 lol to be fair, Arkansas doesn't have much of anything ever, except for nature. I was born there, and I use to spend my entire summers there as a kid and young teen - hated it. But I get it. I know a few exotic pet keepers where I live, but I only know 2 other people who loves/has ever kept Ts.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
@JoshDM020 lol to be fair, Arkansas doesn't have much of anything ever, except for nature. I was born there, and I use to spend my entire summers there as a kid and young teen - hated it. But I get it. I know a few exotic pet keepers where I live, but I only know 2 other people who loves/has ever kept Ts.
Youre very right. Just some venomous snakes, some coyotes, a whole lot of pretty views and some extremely humid summers. I plan on leavin someday, but i doubt I'll ever hate it. Know too many good people (t lovers or not) for that, but thats just me.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Theres something that bugs me about this hobby. Its not the spiders, or some kind of attitude or anything. Its simply that, everyone seems to be so spread out. Breeders/dealers seem to have gotten together at some point and said "Alright, we'll all just move to where there are maybe two of us in the same state, and some states we wont live in at all because reasons." Im not saying they dont have the right to live or do business wherever they want, i just think its kinda funny. I guess its not really so much about distance as it is about being a rather.... borderline-underground community. I searched "Arkansas" on the boards earlier and the only posts within 3 years that even mention the word are either mine or talkingabout Aphonopelma hentzi. I love talkin to you guys on the boards, but i would also love to have someone i could connect with in person and learn from. I can learn by reading just fine, but im much more visual. And youtube isnt much better than reading sometimes. There hasnt been a convention or whatever you wanna call it within driving range for 2 years. I dunno, this is just something thats been on my mind lately. My friends are interested but not to the point I am and you guys on a screen are the only people that actually get anything i have to say and youre just a screen. Make sense? Its a solitary hobby and i wish it wasnt. There it is, thats what its about. Not distance or being "underground". Ive rambled. I apologize, but im posting it anyways. Maybe some of you will be able to relate.
Hahahhahahaha if you think it's tough now you should of seen 1993 when I first got interested in Tarantulas..
Hahahahaha... Comparatively, today the hobby is BOOOMING!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
None of what is on these shelves was available back then.. And most of the stuff in this room is considered common these days 20170719_230529.jpg

The internet was in it's infancy and the closest thing to Arachnoboards was the back page advertisements of a Fauna magazine.. You damn kids kill me! Hahahah

Ps.. That's not a heating lamp on a Tarantula enclosure. It's my Son's Boa enclosure.

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
If you get more lollipops for your post you can open up a candy shop :p

Weeellll, there are dozens of tarantula keepers around here... I have more than a dozen conventions within driving distance within a year and mostly I don't go. I never thought that makes me the lucky one...

Leila

Arachnobaron
I feel ya, Josh.

I mean, there seem to be several T keepers in TN; but none of them live very close to me. (Looking at you @Ghost56, lol)

Oh, and all the expos seem to be hours away; and, ya know, I really abhor driving, so... :rolleyes:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I feel ya, Josh.

I mean, there seem to be several T keepers in TN; but none of them live very close to me. (Looking at you @Ghost56, lol)

Oh, and all the expos seem to be hours away; and, ya know, I really abhor driving, so... :rolleyes:
The only expo i could even think about driving to was actually in Southhaven. But the gas on top of the tickets wouldve ended up being more than anything i wouldve bought equalled. Even with shipping. So i shipped. Id still like to go one day, but its going to be a good while, probably.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Hahahhahahaha if you think it's tough now you should of seen 1993 when I first got interested in Tarantulas..
Hahahahaha... Comparatively, today the hobby is BOOOMING!
Dont get me wrong, I'm hardly complaining about the hobby. I just wish it wasnt so secluded. Ive heard the stories of the pre-internet/pre-board hobby. Its amazing how far its come in such a relatively short time, and it will, hopefully anyways, keep advancing. Dont think im taking it for granted.
If you get more lollipops for your post you can open up a candy shop
Yeah, I'm not sure what thats about. I guess it came out way more sobby/complain-y than i wanted it to.
Not lookin for sympathy, people, i just had to get it out of my head.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
None of what is on these shelves was available back then.. And most of the stuff in this room is considered common these days View attachment 246444

True. I remember when if you wanted to mist your enclosures, your only option was to fill your cheeks with water, purse your lips and then give your cheeks a solid tap, with your face over top of the enclosure, spewing the water. It was a messy, inconvenient procedure. Thank gawd for the rise of the spray-bottle!

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Dont get me wrong, I'm hardly complaining about the hobby. I just wish it wasnt so secluded. Ive heard the stories of the pre-internet/pre-board hobby. Its amazing how far its come in such a relatively short time, and it will, hopefully anyways, keep advancing. Dont think im taking it for granted.

Yeah, I'm not sure what thats about. I guess it came out way more sobby/complain-y than i wanted it to.
Not lookin for sympathy, people, i just had to get it out of my head.
I wasn't trying to make it sound like you we're complaining. I was just laughing about how "rough" you youngsters have it.

There is credence to your topic.. I would say maybe one in one hundred people that I meet keep Tarantulas. Where as almost everyone owns a mammal of some sort,about half own reptiles.. Us arachnoculturists are kind of a small demographic. My point is that it's huge compared to the early days.. The early 2000's saw a huge influx of new species of beautiful tropical O/W's and they started catching the eye of more people..

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
True. I remember when if you wanted to mist your enclosures, your only option was to fill your cheeks with water, purse your lips and then give your cheeks a solid tap with your face over top of the enclosure, spewing the water. It was a messy, inconvenient procedure. Thank gawd for the rise of the spray-bottle!
Bruh.. I don't know where you grew up but we had squirt guns :dead:...

keks

Arachnobaron
Here I am all alone too with my hobby. My breeder lives about 100 km away, the next community is more than 100 km away. I can't drive in darkness, the meetings are starting at 8 pm. It is impossible for me, to visit this meetings. The only contact to other tarantula keepers is this board. Ok. So what? :D