1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deli cup for 1/2 inch sling

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by LurkingUnderground, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    I think I took it down to half or a third of what I had.

Spiders arrived today. The curly hair ended up as a freebie. What kind of food should I be getting these guys. The LP gave me 1" meal worms, are those too big?

Am I supposed to kelea the food in for a while and check in on them afterwards? I still wanna make sure that the works are not to big. They are the same length as the spider. I read that the food should not be bigger then their adorable abdomen.
    Because they are meal worms are they still capable of hurting the spider with in 1 hour to 24 hours?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  2. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    Just prekill the mealworm, the sling will scavenge the remains. That way you don’t end up with a TarantulaDan type situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Someone else did it. It ate their $50 T.
    I just got them yesterday and am o supposed to wait a while before trying to feed them live food?
    Should I cut the worm in head though?

4. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight

I would try feed them later today.
    Slice the mealworm and offer the segments to both. Cut the mealworm into two pieces - 3/4 and 1/4. The bigger slice is for the albopilosum.

5. It would be close to 10pm tonight as I am working all day.

Also because they are babies I was going to make a bottle feeding jock.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

dice mealworms

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. That is a tiny sling. Or a big meal worm.

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

1/4 of a normal sized meal worm...the sling was about 1/4"

9. Well the brachypelma is eating the dead. (I found it carying one half) But I don't know if Grammostola is interested. It is likely I didn't cut it up enough and it might be too dry now.

I might have to cut up a fresh one.

I mean the worm looks dried out now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  10. I wouldn't worry too much. Take it out after 24 hours if it still hasn't eaten it, then try again in like 3 days

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah I will try cutting one up into four for it in three days if it is not into it today.

12. One question though. How often do I need to water them?

13. Keep the substrate slightly damp, and when it dries out add a little more water (probably about once a week or two). Once the slings outgrow these containers and you rehouse them in something bigger you can add a water dish.

14. I got an eye dropper the one with the rubber bulb. How much water should I give them?
    Update: coconut took the food and even took on the live food. Yay. Rumpelstiltskin hopefully takes the fresh 1/4s I put in tonight. Coconut found the food when I was cutting up another one.

15. Update. It looks like Rumpelstiltskin has taken 2 quarter sections and I think coconut only ate half of the live meal, that I saw it carrying around. Hopefully in the morning the food will be finished.