Deli cup for 1/2 inch sling

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Cross ventilation is ideal because it allows adequate airflow circulation to keep stuffiness in check. However, since this is a very small container, you can get away with ventilation holes on the lid. If you were to have a huge number of slings raised in those cups, cross ventilation would be best if you were to stack them to save room.

What I would do different is only put one-fourth of the substrate you currently have - maybe even one-fifth. Giving minimal substrate to G. pulchripes slings would yield to a faster growth rate until the 3" mark, in which they will start to slow their growth.
I think I took it down to half or a third of what I had.

Spiders arrived today. The curly hair ended up as a freebie. What kind of food should I be getting these guys. The LP gave me 1" meal worms, are those too big?

Am I supposed to kelea the food in for a while and check in on them afterwards? I still wanna make sure that the works are not to big. They are the same length as the spider. I read that the food should not be bigger then their adorable abdomen.
Because they are meal worms are they still capable of hurting the spider with in 1 hour to 24 hours?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
Am I supposed to kelea the food in for a while and check in on them afterwards? I still wanna make sure that the works are not to big. They are the same length as the spider. I read that the food should not be bigger then their adorable abdomen.
Because they are meal worms are they still capable of hurting the spider with in 1 hour to 24 hours?
Just prekill the mealworm, the sling will scavenge the remains. That way you don’t end up with a TarantulaDan type situation.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Just prekill the mealworm, the sling will scavenge the remains. That way you don’t end up with a TarantulaDan type situation.
Someone else did it. It ate their $50 T.
I just got them yesterday and am o supposed to wait a while before trying to feed them live food?
Should I cut the worm in head though?

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Someone else did it. It ate their $50 T.
I just got them yesterday and am o supposed to wait a while before trying to feed them live food?
Should I cut the worm in head though?
I would try feed them later today.
Slice the mealworm and offer the segments to both. Cut the mealworm into two pieces - 3/4 and 1/4. The bigger slice is for the albopilosum.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Slice the mealworm and offer the segments to both. Cut the mealworm into two pieces - 3/4 and 1/4. The bigger slice is for the albopilosum.
It would be close to 10pm tonight as I am working all day.

Also because they are babies I was going to make a bottle feeding jock.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Well the brachypelma is eating the dead. (I found it carying one half) But I don't know if Grammostola is interested. It is likely I didn't cut it up enough and it might be too dry now.

I might have to cut up a fresh one.

I might have to cut up a fresh one.
I mean the worm looks dried out now.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
One question though. How often do I need to water them?
Keep the substrate slightly damp, and when it dries out add a little more water (probably about once a week or two). Once the slings outgrow these containers and you rehouse them in something bigger you can add a water dish.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Keep the substrate slightly damp, and when it dries out add a little more water (probably about once a week or two). Once the slings outgrow these containers and you rehouse them in something bigger you can add a water dish.
I got an eye dropper the one with the rubber bulb. How much water should I give them?
Update: coconut took the food and even took on the live food. Yay. Rumpelstiltskin hopefully takes the fresh 1/4s I put in tonight. Coconut found the food when I was cutting up another one.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Update. It looks like Rumpelstiltskin has taken 2 quarter sections and I think coconut only ate half of the live meal, that I saw it carrying around. Hopefully in the morning the food will be finished.