Deli cup for 1/2 inch sling

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Would a 16 oz deli cup be ok for a starting enclosure for a Grammostola pulchripes 1/2 inch?
How many holes should I make
And how damp do they like it. Currently they are full of olive oil and salad topping. If I need a 1oz enclosure. I coilc grab some thing like a condiment cup from Quiznos Subs. It is kikeli going to be clearer then the image. What size of drill bit should I use?

Attachments

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
I would use a portion condiment cup commonly found in restaurants and poke it with a thumbtack. Hole is to be no bigger than the sling’s abdomen. No drill bit needed.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
I would use a portion condiment cup commonly found in restaurants and poke it with a thumbtack. Hole is to be no bigger than the sling’s abdomen. No drill bit needed.
Also the container in the restaurant. Is like enough to fit 4 pepperoncini green peppers. About 2-3 inches what ever oz cup that is where as the things I have are like deli 16oz.
Maybe the things are like 8oz. Is that sometimes called souffle cups?

cold blood

Staff member
Would this cup be too bed for a half incher? Terrestrial?
Way too big. It will live in there, but it will burrow and hide excessively and grow much slower as a result. IME 4-5 times slower...pretty dramatic.

You want this

As for holes...just a few pin holes around the sides and a couple on the lid.

Once you move back up to that deli cup, I still use a pin for venting, but then run through the holes with a toothpick to make them uniform.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
*carapace

The abdomen is much more flexibile than the rest of their body, they can squeeze it through tight spaces easily as seen in this video:
correct. i meant to say carapace. i obviously needed to rest at one in the morning :wideyed:

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Way too big. It will live in there, but it will burrow and hide excessively and grow much slower as a result. IME 4-5 times slower...pretty dramatic.

You want this

As for holes...just a few pin holes around the sides and a couple on the lid.

Once you move back up to that deli cup, I still use a pin for venting, but then run through the holes with a toothpick to make them uniform.
Ok so this is from little ceasers. The stuff they use for breadsticks sauce. Is that ok. Is the level ok. And is the holes enough?

Attachments

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
*container, accidently hit post trying to fix my spelling lol. Anyways, a little less sub, cross ventilation and then that should be a nice size for.your new sling.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Cross vent you mean do the side walls?
Cross ventilation is ideal because it allows adequate airflow circulation to keep stuffiness in check. However, since this is a very small container, you can get away with ventilation holes on the lid. If you were to have a huge number of slings raised in those cups, cross ventilation would be best if you were to stack them to save room.

What I would do different is only put one-fourth of the substrate you currently have - maybe even one-fifth. Giving minimal substrate to G. pulchripes slings would yield to a faster growth rate until the 3" mark, in which they will start to slow their growth.