Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
finally i can enjoy this thread again! after killing a Cyriopagopus sp "singapore" (the blue one) i got a nice little parcel today containing......... 3 new little blue gritters!! no i will not post any pics, that is how i got the first dead....... sorry

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so what are some common names for these.....are they rare????? i'm not sure if i've ever seen any of these for sale anywhere

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
xBurntBytheSunx said:
so what are some common names for these.....are they rare????? i'm not sure if i've ever seen any of these for sale anywhere
There is no common name as far as i know and yes they are very Rare at the moment.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Aviculariinae said:
What way are you keeping them Pelo! Cos they are Arboreal!
>>they've been rehoused since the pictures were taken.I've set up to give them both the opportunity to burrow and climb.As of now they are burrowed and have the base of the corkbark all webbed up.They do come out and climb quite often which is great for viewing purposes.They're presently 50/50 burrower/aboreal.

Michael.NEGRINI

Arachnopeon
I send some of mines... :)

First, a mystery for me, a species I bought as Cyriopagopus sp. blau from malaysia, about one year ago. I'm pretty sure this not the species from Singapour, I think it could be a color morph of C. schioedtei, they are more bluish than the classic morph at the same stage, but I can't tell what they'll look like as adults. I have 3 females and one male of these.

In comparison, Cyriopagopus schioedtei at the same size :

And an older one :

And to end the story, the species showed by Martin H. in the first post, a near adult female of Cyriopagopus (Lampropelma?) sp. with blue femurs from Malaysia. Any taxonomical news about them ? ;)

she's going to molt soon...I hope to find a male for her.

Best regards, Michael

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your "mystery species" appear to be one of the darker colour varieties of C. schioedtei. Compare with adult female picture attached.

Regarding your "Lampropelma" I have three subadult males, so I am sure we can arrange something in the future if we keep in touch ;) Nothing new about this one so far ;)

Very Best Regards
Søren

Michael.NEGRINI said:
I send some of mines... :)

First, a mystery for me, a species I bought as Cyriopagopus sp. blau from malaysia, about one year ago. I'm pretty sure this not the species from Singapour, I think it could be a color morph of C. schioedtei, they are more bluish than the classic morph at the same stage, but I can't tell what they'll look like as adults. I have 3 females and one male of these.

And to end the story, the species showed by Martin H. in the first post, a near adult female of Cyriopagopus (Lampropelma?) sp. with blue femurs from Malaysia. Any taxonomical news about them ? ;)

Best regards, Michael

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As far as I can make out in this bloody mess is the 'Lampropelma' type is the one that Martin so kindly posted photographs of the 'blue' type from Singapore just being a nov.sp Cyriopagopus sp

Martin I have sent photographs to Alvin regarding what sp I wanted to buy both blue and Lampropelma types the photographs are posted as to what I received (spiderlings) I have been conversing with h.-w.auer and Rick C West about the spp now h.-w.auer sent me a photograph of a very simulair or the same as the sp you posted this was what I asked Alvin for along with the blue h.-w.auer has been talking to Volker about this Volker seems to think the Cyriopagopus "blue" seems to be very similar as C. schioedtei, cause
the males of both species have the same colour but Volker didn't´t have much time at the moment to identify this species.

now Rick C west regarding the 'Lampropelma' type has said it has been around awhile. Jeremy Huff and I discovered this
species 6 years ago on a mountain range in Malaysia I can say it is a Cyriopagopus sp. and I'm positive it's what Abraham
wrongly placed in the genus Lampropelma and described in 1924 as
'violaceopes' ... the problem in checking this out is that the 'type'
is in the BMNH and Smith is working on it.

So its all getting very messy indeed lets hope smith can shed some light on the subject? as he has 'type' specimens to work from?

Last edited:

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol I can believe that Martin, I myself have never seen a male of the 'Lampropelma' type I have seen the exuvia photograph of a male 'blue' via Volker I think its posted on this forum some were?) and it is dimorphic but like you are so right in saying colours not an issue do you know if the 'Lampropelma' type male is dimorphic? or have a photograph that I could have a look at please?

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can help you with that ;-)

Male and female "Lampropelma violaceopes", photo courtesy Vladimir Sejna (and yes I have permission to post the pictures ;-):

The male of Cyriopagopus sp. "Blue" are similar to the male of C. schioedtei

Very Best Regards
Søren

RichardDegville said:
lol I can believe that Martin, I myself have never seen a male of the 'Lampropelma' type I have seen the exuvia photograph of a male 'blue' via Volker I think its posted on this forum some were?) and it is dimorphic but like you are so right in saying colours not an issue do you know if the 'Lampropelma' type male is dimorphic? or have a photograph that I could have a look at please?

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for that Martin {D what do you think about Vladimir Sejna's violaceopes photos? are they just 2 very dark photographs or the possible 'Lampropelma nigerrimum' fetured on RCW's site?

Soren do you know how Vladimir Sejna's identified the 'violaceopes' in his photographs? did he have the 'type' before Smith? from, the BNHM?

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He didn't - they were sold as "Haplopelma robustum". Later Volker posted a mail with a picture claiming that it was the true L. violaceopes. Then the doubts set in ... and here we are ;-) Only when the status of the true type of L. violaceopes has been located and proberly examined will we have something to work with.

the photographs are very dark (and was scanned with a bad scanner) and the female is premolt etc etc. Still you get the picture ;-) However dark they appear they are not the Lampropelma sp. "orange fringed" ;-)

RichardDegville said:
Thanks for that Martin {D what do you think about Vladimir Sejna's violaceopes photos? are they just 2 very dark photographs or the possible 'Lampropelma nigerrimum' fetured on RCW's site?

Soren do you know how Vladimir Sejna's identified the 'violaceopes' in his photographs? did he have the 'type' before Smith? from, the BNHM?

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL god struth the plot thickens :? yeh looking at both pics its light on the latter I know photos are worth a 1000 words but can be totally usless when compairing specimens or identifying un common sp.
I need a spider break cuppa tea time i think thanks for the photos guys
smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast!

Last edited: