Communal tarantulas

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
OK I read on a previous post obt''s have a successful communal rate or so have the people that have done them said

boina

Lady of the mites
OK I read on a previous post obt''s have a successful communal rate or so have the people that have done them said
What?? I've never ever heard of an OBT communal, not even short term. Are you sure you remember the species right?

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Yeah lemme see if I can find the post

What?? I've never ever heard of an OBT communal, not even short term. Are you sure you remember the species right?
I'm sorry they were saying how they aren't technically communal they are more tolerant of each other but build different web structures and don't socialize very much with one another

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
So, the spiders basically live close to each other but don't feed on each other because they presumably get enough other food...

I really don't see why anyone would want to do that - forcing spiders to live in close proximity. Even the poster said there's no communal interaction. There is always a pretty high risk of canibalism included. This sounds like a very weird experiment along the ways "Let's just try out what happens". OBTs are easy to replace after all.

I think enough people have already stated in this thread that the only communal species are in the Monocentropus genus. It may or may not work for a while with other species but the risk of cannibalism is much higher with those. I don't see the attraction in putting spiders in a situation where they may kill each other off.

Spyder b

Arachnosquire
Exactly how I feel about it too I really just need to find a good breeder somewhere in the US that has them avaliable

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Exactly how I feel about it too I really just need to find a good breeder somewhere in the US that has them avaliable
check out the classifieds. i think i saw a fellow selling slings in the 30-40 dollar range a few weeks ago. (might all be gone by now.)

Edit: 45 each.

Last edited:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The fabled Pamphobeteus sp. Chicken Slider is incredibly communal. The group I imported had multiple generations living in one burrow and in my large tank. None of my 3 eggsacs made it though. :(

Also had multiple generational setups of Heterothele villosella (7 years), Heterothele gabonensis (4 years), and Neoholothele incei (13 years and still going). Those species I would say are highly social with mothers caring for young, communal feeding on large prey items, and you can have multiple juveniles and adults sharing the same web tunnel. However cannibalism can readily happen if food and hiding spots are in short supply.

My Monocentropus balfouri communal also did well too.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
The fabled Pamphobeteus sp. Chicken Slider is incredibly communal. The group I imported had multiple generations living in one burrow and in my large tank. None of my 3 eggsacs made it though. :(

Also had multiple generational setups of Heterothele villosella (7 years), Heterothele gabonensis (4 years), and Neoholothele incei (13 years and still going). Those species I would say are highly social with mothers caring for young, communal feeding on large prey items, and you can have multiple juveniles and adults sharing the same web tunnel. However cannibalism can readily happen if food and hiding spots are in short supply.

is the Pampho comunal still going or did it die out due to no successful sacs?

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Chicken Slider
Mmm :hungry:

This is really cool info to hear. Especially about the N. incei being together so long and doing well with it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

Interesting. Can you post more info on your communals. How many spiders did you start them up with? Were they all slingsat first? How many spiders did you lose per species? How did you feed? How is the set up? Any changes between then and now?
(I'm not curious or something... :smug:)

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire

Give us all the deets please! With pics!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer

This is true, I’ve seen it in the wild when I was out researching in South America. It was really fascinating to see multiple generations living in the same and nearby burrows. Wouldn’t mind having a communal of these, but the price is what’s keeping me away and it seems like there are none available right now. I’ll try to add in pics once I get home in a few days.

Also to the OBT communal thought, even if they do happen to tolerate each other, why would you want to? One OBT is a handful already, now multiply that by 3x-5x+? No thanks.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
even if they do happen to tolerate each other, why would you want to? One...is a handful already, now multiply that by 3x-5x+? No thanks.
Lol, this is what my dad says about people who have more than one wife :rofl:.

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Interesting. Can you post more info on your communals. How many spiders did you start them up with? Were they all slingsat first? How many spiders did you lose per species? How did you feed? How is the set up? Any changes between then and now?
(I'm not curious or something... :smug:)
He actually has threads on at least a couple of his comunals. They are pretty easy to find if you go to his profile and look for threads he started.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Mmm :hungry:

This is really cool info to hear. Especially about the N. incei being together so long and doing well with it.
@cold blood Eh? What's the face palm for?

Or maybe with the last couple jokes I did...what isn't it for, lol.

Edit: Ah, I got it. Didn't read that paragraph all the way through I guess.
Correction: "This is really cool info to hear. Especially about the N. incei being together so long and having some potential to do pretty well under the right conditions."

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
@viper69 @Venom1080 @boina I think you guys might find this interesting.
Just want to add in that I’m not 100% if they were Pamphobeteus sp. ‘Chicken Spider’, they were found in Iquitos, Peru. But I remember reading back somewhere saying that they were found there (or another member of the antinous complex).

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Just want to add in that I’m not 100% if they were Pamphobeteus sp. ‘Chicken Spider’, they were found in Iquitos, Peru. But I remember reading back somewhere saying that they were found there (or another member of the antinous complex).
Well as far as I know you're the only person to report on the forum seeing any tarantula specie living communally in the wild, which is why I find this so interesting. You wouldn't happen to have pictures of this somewhere would you?