Cobalt Blue experience?

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, as most of you know my tarantula Boots passed away from suspected old age. I called the pet shop to let them know it wasn't a pesticide or anything, and the shop owner was really nice about it. He told me he has some young T's in the back room if I ever want to stop by to take a look and possibly purchase one. I told him I would think about it, but I wouldn't be there for a while because I can't even think about possibly replacing Boots. If I do get another T, it'll be Boots Jr. :)
He said he had a cobalt blue tarantula with a pretty nasty bite, and I was always interested in cobalts and OBT's. Anyone have any experience with cobalt blues? I know they're very aggressive with the few moderate tempered ones. How do they like the cage? Dry? Preferred type of substrate? Are they diggers or surface dwellers? I know my rose hair likes to chill on top of the substrate in the middle of her cage while my mexican red rump likes to dig like a mad man.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Nope, I don't think anyone has any experience with cobalt blues:p

They are an obligate burrower, so provide a substrate depth of at least double it's DLS. The deeper the better. Peat works well as it holds burrows well, but coir will work if you pack it down extra tight. It helps if you provide a starter burrow. They can be kept dry with no issues, but most will tell you to keep it moist. It doesn't matter either way, really. They are a hardy species.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
It's like owning a pet hole.

They like lots of substrate so they can burrow.
I used cocopeat for them, because it's a good absorbent.
Humidity should be around 75 to 85%
The moments that you'll see it will be at the entrance of its burrow.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
My mature female is the most defensive spider I own. She is out of her burrow most of the time, too. If you're ready for a defensive T, I say get one. They are among my favorite species.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
"Boots" was an Avic right?
Cobalts are very beautiful, but you will very rarely see her. They are pretty much the definition of an obligate burrower. Very defensive.
Should you get it? Only you can answer that, but if you loved your Avic, we're talking about day and night here. They're complete opposites.

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Boots was an avic, but he was the first avic I've owned. Im used to the pet rock kind of T's, so when I got Boots it was a wild ride. He was by far the most active out of any spider I owned- at night only. During the day he hid away at the top of the cage and blended in with the lid. The two other T's I have, and the two I used to have, all terrestrial rocks lol.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Gotcha. Well if H Lividum is your first choice, go for it. Just be very aware of it's speed and venom potency and that there will be very little interection. Just remember you can get just about any species you want on the internet.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Keep it fairly dry and prepare for a crappy attitude, speed, and some pretty strong venom. They're beautiful tarantulas when you see them (which can be almost all of the time if you set them up correctly; google fossorial tank).
Good luck with your spider.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want an interesting, active T I highly recommend a GBB. Mine is always out. Makes very cool webs in her enclosure. She also has the best feeding response of any of my Ts. She even attacks the water when I dribble it into her dish. Not to mention she is drop dead gorgeous.

My Haplo used to be super agro but now that she has lots of room to dig the only part of her I see is her feet sticking out of the burrow (which disappear at the speed of light when there is any disturbance) She was gorgeous the last time I actually saw her about 3 months ago.

Armpit

Arachnosquire
It's like owning a pet hole.
this. hahahaha - without a doubt, this. i've seen mine maybe three times out on her own. rehoming her can be super unnerving, holybeans.

seconding the crappy attitude, and defensive demeanor. cobalts remind me of jacked up pretty boys, with too much testosterone and charm, wielding a machine gun.

it is always a treat, when you do finally see it in the open...

Novatsk

Arachnopeon
They are cool .. Most are very aggressive.. Pretty much a pet hole depending on how much substrate.. when you feed them they sometimes come out and say hi.. Super fast and scary.. You can handle them but it isn't recommended.. Just be patient.. I have some photos proving it can be done ..

akpropst

Arachnopeon
As per the aforementioned posts..

Obligate burrower. Mine @ 5-6" DLS sits at the entrance to her burrow since I added her tank to a cabinet. Before that, the ambient light was enough to keep her hidden for months @ a time.

Eats like a pig, never misses the opportunity to throw up a threat pose and attack my deli cup while transferring. All-around good attitude for a T. I respect the fact she wants to repeatedly fang me. W/E. It's a love/hate relationship.

thespiderguy

Arachnopeon
I have two, one a mature female, and the other a juvenile. The female is often seen above ground, and is super relaxed. In fact I would question if she is a cobalt at all because I have seen none of the aggressiveness you hear about if it weren't for the fact she looks just like one.

The juvenile is definitely a pet hole. I can see it through the sides of the container on occasion but never has it been on top.

I enjoy my OBT, GBB's and Pokies far more, but that is my opinion...

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Lol i agree with everyones posts, H,Lividum is a (pet hole) same with OBTs ull be lucky to see Thayr feet, sometimes come out at night, they can be aggressive at times ok alot, mine was alright but changing his enclosure was a pain, you could try p,regilis, straight hornd baboon or LP.

GOOD LUCK :)

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I find the haplopelma are more relaxed when they are given enough substrate to burrow. I know their are expection but my h lividum wrath has only given me threat display twice one time was my fault and i deserved it. the other time because I was feeding her and she didn't like super worms apparently so it was her way of telling me yuck. so if you give them the ability to make a nice deep burrow they will more often then not just make a run for there burrow if they feel necessary. having said that it does mean they are Pet hole. all the haplopelmas I have i rarely see them out of there burrows except for their feets. I do notice that lividums and longipes however are more bolder and will come out almost completely at night except maybe for a leg or two, which i am assuming so they know exactly were there burrow is at all time.

the problem with your decision i think is you were use to seeing boots probably all time well at least the outline of him in his webbing as well. I am not sure you going to have as much fun with a lividum. if your the type that wants to always see you T(if that makes any sense). I am not trying to be mean or a dick just want you to understand that even when you feed them you will only get glimpses of them and from experience with these guys. there will be times when you want to check up on them, but are unable to because, they are in there burrow and will just have to either assume they are ok or wait until you finally get to a glimpse of them. either way it could cause hair being pulled out at not knowing if they are ok or not. then factor in when they web up there burrow before they molt. My haplopelma hainanum has block up it entrance with dirt and has been like that for about two weeks maybe three (i really need to keep track on those thing) and luckily it was nice enough to have a small window webbed up to allow me to keep on eye on it and i can see it legs every so often. I know its getting ready to molt, but since I will never know when until the burrow is unblock it still has me worried, because if something goes wrong it will be to late most before I even realize it.

so patience is the real thing with these guys. so if you have that kind of patience and self control then I say go for it they are my favorite and most gorgeous in my opinion.

Here is wrath saying hello
nice to meet you.jpg

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Yeah spiderengineer said it all and i agree, they are really nice to look at with gorgeous colours can be aggressive/defensive but that makes them worth having as an OW, am sure ull make the right choice in the end.

Good luck.

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
One of the best beginner spiders is a LP. The get big and their pretty also super inexpensive. It was one of my first spiders and its really what drove me into this hobby.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm I might go for an obt. They're beautiful and make some beast webs. Decisions decisions..

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
yeah, I also hear of people not seeing their obt for months at a time, but they also say they wouldn't go without one in their collections.

JungleCage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why don't you just buy both? Problem solved!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2