Cobalt blue enclosure

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Well I could flip it to its side and it would be longer
How much area would there be at the top of the sub? Is there an opening on the that side where you could easily do maintenance?

Basically what are the dimensions of the cage and where are the openings?

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
How much area would there be at the top of the sub? Is there an opening on the that side where you could easily do maintenance?

Basically what are the dimensions of the cage and where are the openings?
Eh never mind I'd need another cage basically. I literally couldn't open it

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Generally you want to have at least 2x the spiders legspan in Sub for fossorials.

And sorry I'm not sugar coating my words for you. But really, I'm not trying to be rude.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Seriously? It's not going to cook and die. It hits 80 degrees. That's it. I'll fill the substrate up a lot higher but you need a way better approach and how to give advice to someone. That's just being a smartass. A lot of other people on here have helped me out but you sound like your trolling me a bit here. I respect everyone's opinion on here. That's why I got here. I'm just telling you the truth here
Logic behind cooking a tarantula with a heat pad:
1. Tarantulas use fluid to move
2. Heat evaporates/removes fluid
3. Tarantulas sure is dumb (get 'er done) and are drawn to heat
4. Without fluid, tarantulas can't move
5. When a tarantula cant move on a heat pad, all is moisture is 'cooked' out
6. With no moisture, tarantulas die

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
1. Tarantulas use fluid to move
2. Heat evaporates/removes fluid
4. Without fluid, tarantulas can't move
5. When a tarantula cant move on a heat pad, all is moisture is 'cooked' out
6. With no moisture, tarantulas die
I make sure it gets plenty of moisture in its enclosure. I spray it with water almost everyday to keep the humidity up. I stopped using a heating pad for my cobalt but my rose hair absolutely loves it. I keep it on the side of its enclosure and it stays pressed against it

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Spit coffee all over my keyboard when I read this :D thanks.

Buy a space heater if you think your T isn't warm enough - will make both you and the T nice and toasty! In the wild they are subjected to ambient temperatures, as they should be in captivity. This causes them to adjust their behavior accordingly - if they're warm, they'll burrow to escape heat. If there's a heat mat under there, they're still going to instinctually burrow, and then they'll cook without knowing what's going on because all of a sudden this behavior that is a part of what they are is the opposite of what they're used to, and the opposite of what they should be doing. They don't have conscious thought the same way we do (i.e. they can't, in their heads, say "holy #$@! it's hot down here, maybe I should go try this somewhere else!")

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Generally you want to have at least 2x the spiders legspan in Sub for fossorials.

And sorry I'm not sugar coating my words for you. But really, I'm not trying to be rude.
Someone is giving me a 55 gallon tank so I'm going to transfer the cobalt in there and put a minimum 8 inches of substrate in it. I'm kinda new at this hobby, been in it for 3 months. I get on here for advice and I guess I understand that you're just trying to inform me. What threw me off was when you reacted that I ordered from back water reptiles as funny. Just thought you were calling me dumb

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Spit coffee all over my keyboard when I read this :D thanks.

Buy a space heater if you think your T isn't warm enough - will make both you and the T nice and toasty! In the wild they are subjected to ambient temperatures, as they should be in captivity. This causes them to adjust their behavior accordingly - if they're warm, they'll burrow to escape heat. If there's a heat mat under there, they're still going to instinctually burrow, and then they'll cook without knowing what's going on because all of a sudden this behavior that is a part of what they are is the opposite of what they're used to, and the opposite of what they should be doing. They don't have conscious thought the same way we do (i.e. they can't, in their heads, say "holy #$@! it's hot down here, maybe I should go try this somewhere else!")
I swear my cobalt was actually enjoying the enclosure without burrowing. He stated in a little hideout I made for him and never dug once. He came out at night walking around but maybe he was getting used to the enclosure. He built a nice little web in the hideout too

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Someone is giving me a 55 gallon tank so I'm going to transfer the cobalt in there and put a minimum 8 inches of substrate in it. I'm kinda new at this hobby, been in it for 3 months. I get on here for advice and I guess I understand that you're just trying to inform me. What threw me off was when you reacted that I ordered from back water reptiles as funny. Just thought you were calling me dumb
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, since it seems like this whole thread has been people telling you that what you're doing is wrong, but a 55 gallon take is huge! In my personal experience, enclosures that are too big cause Ts to get stressed out, and it often causes them to hide/stay in their burrows much more than they normally would. This may be different with burrowing species, but just something to keep in mind. You're already going to see your T less often than you'd like, so just something to take into account :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep it on the side of its enclosure and it stays pressed against it
This is precisely how I almost lost my smithi years ago. She was stuck in a death curl inches from her water dish because she liked the warmth of the extra small heat mat. :banghead:

Also, rosea are best on dry substrate, not "moist" substrate.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, since it seems like this whole thread has been people telling you that what you're doing is wrong, but a 55 gallon take is huge! In my personal experience, enclosures that are too big cause Ts to get stressed out, and it often causes them to hide/stay in their burrows much more than they normally would. This may be different with burrowing species, but just something to keep in mind. You're already going to see your T less often than you'd like, so just something to take into account :)
It's more tall than it is wide. My other enclosure can't hold enough dirt for my cobalt :/

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I swear my cobalt was actually enjoying the enclosure without burrowing. He stated in a little hideout I made for him and never dug once. He came out at night walking around but maybe he was getting used to the enclosure. He built a nice little web in the hideout too
He may have been exploring, but he needs to have the option to both explore and burrow. It's entirely possible that you have a weirdo of a T who just wants to chill and not burrow - god knows there are some...unique...specimens out there :) but you still need to provide him with the correct care. Whether he chooses to take advantage of it is up to him!

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
This is precisely how I almost lost my smithi years ago. She was stuck in a death curl inches from her water dish because she liked the warmth of the extra small heat mat. :banghead:

Also, rosea are best on dry substrate, not "moist" substrate.
Oh no it's completely dry in its enclosure and I didn't know that.. I figured it was enjoying it:/

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My lividus took about a month to actually start burrowing, havent seen more than toes since. It'll happen, just give it time.

Also, that 55 gallon would be huge for a T. stirmi, let alone a 6" tarantula. Also, in the immortal words of @Chris LXXIX, no need to be a scrooge with substrate. C. lividum will burrow 12-18" if given the opportunity.

Last edited:

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
My lividus took about a month to actually start burrowing, havent seen more than toes since. It'll happen, just give it time.

Also, that 55 gallon wpuld be huge for a T. stirmi, let alone a 6" tarantula. Also, in the immortal words of @Chris LXXIX, no need to ba a scrooge with substrate. C. lividum will burrow 12-18" if given the opportunity.
So what kind of tank do you suggest?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
He rated your post from backwaterreptiles as funny because... Well because they suck. They are notorious for sending the wrong species, in horrible health, in horrible packaging. Once or twice could be chalked up to a one time mistake. However it happens with pretty much every order from them. Don't order from them next time.

They are often called Slackwater on these boards.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Some sort of large sterilite plastic container. Make the holes for vents yourself and voila, you have an inexpensive, practical enclosure.
I don't really care to spend money honestly. I mean I'd like to buy a certain size aquarium for it because I don't even know where to buy plastic containers that big is the T really likes 12-18 inches of substrate

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I don't really care to spend money honestly. I mean I'd like to buy a certain size aquarium for it because I don't even know where to buy plastic containers that big is the T really likes 12-18 inches of substrate
Just at the dollar store or something. They have lots of sizes to choose from. Most people on here use sterilite plastic containers mostly for functionality and practicality. When you have this many t's having a pretty enclosure for each one becomes impractical.

Paiige

Arachnobaron