Classroom Snake Suggestions

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been looking for one of these for ages...if you know of an online dealer that sells these please post the link
http://www.cherryvillereptiles.com/milk.html

This is the place where I got mine from. The guy I talked to on the phone there was very cool, delivery was prompt, and the snakes where healthy. I would order from here again.

You can also look on kingsnake.com, in the classified section. I have seen them advertised on there for even lower prices. I just checked now, and there is a guy selling a pair for $175, and another guy has five males that he is selling for $70 a piece. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dendroaspis polylepis

I heard that these are easy going. It may only be a rumor though.
Jon

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Umm, I don’t think so, but I guess that depends on what you are willing to spend. The price for hatchlings usually runs from 80-125 dollars, and I think that’s a fair price.
One thing to keep in mind with a classroom of kids is that with 30 kids and 300 days of class time I wouldn't be surprised if the cage lid gets left open etc. $80-125 for a hatchling is a fair amount to lose. You could buy a pair of adult corns for that money and have the added excitement of letting the kids see some eggs hatch if you breed them early in the season.
Plus a hatchling may be a little delicate for a classroom of potentially not so gentle kids.

BTW $80-125 isn't bad for L.t. gaigeae, last time I looked at them they were significantly more expensive. Definitely one of my favorite kings/milks.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm going to look at pricing and availability for several different species listed in the thread - thanks so much for the input!

Hopefully I'll have everything in the next month or so. My students this year have been asking if we could keep a snake in the room, so they will be thrilled. :)

Becca

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wish i had a teacher like you ! lucky kids... you can't go wrong with most of the snakes suggested

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'll give a fourth vote for a kenyan sand boa, they're my fav snake and would be my first choice but my mom forbids me from having any serpents in the house so...bummer:(

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I gotta agree with the Hag, kenyan sand boa.. easy to care for as far as snakes go, and not nearly the escape artists corns/kings/milks are, one of my personal favorites.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rubber boa is vulnerable in some areas as far as i know, plus there are quite a lot of cb Kenyans all year around

edventurous77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rosy boas are small and colourful an get very tame. but it would have to be a milk king or corn nothing else compares:D

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The one thing that everybody is forgetting about sand boas is that they are ugly as hell. Their bodies have the elegance and beauty of a roll of summer sausage. (projectile vomit face here) It barely looks like a snake. I vote against the Kenyan sand sausage.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The western fox snake(Elaphe vulpina vulpine) is one of my favorites, even as a baby they are really laid back and make impressive specimens.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
The one thing that everybody is forgetting about sand boas is that they are ugly as hell. Their bodies have the elegance and beauty of a roll of summer sausage. (projectile vomit face here) It barely looks like a snake. I vote against the Kenyan sand sausage.
lol I like that.. Kenyan Sand Sausage!! :D
Funny thing to me is, I think Corns and most colubrids for that matter are hideous! Funny how everyone has different oppinions. I think Kenyans are gorgeous! All fat and pudgy and cuter than a bugs ear! Lil turned up noses.. awwww SO CUTE.

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have to go with Sand Boa as well, to me they're more interesting looking than the standard colubrid snake, also smaller than most, and extremely easy to handle.

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rubber boa: prolly the snake you are least likely to get bit buy. i had one guy tell me you could dress your finger up in a mouse suit and it prolly wont strike. problems: cb can be difficult to locate and WC are prolly eating skinks. this species isnt a good one in my opinion for a class room snake

rosey boas: never had one but have heard lots of good things. another species thats not likely to bite.

corn snakes: over all good snakes. you run into the occational neurotic one thats bitey. hatchlings can be a bit delicate. if yah can find one thats been handled alot and is about a year old your good to go.

ball python: mine never minded being woke up to show someone but given the option its going to hide during the day. with a CB chances of being bit are slim except at feeding time. a bite from a 4 foot adult doesnt cause much bleeding speaking from experiance(completly 100% my fault i got bit, was 100% preventable). the one i had's favorite perch was on top of my baseball cap, he reguarded it as his. bent a couple pairs of eye glasses in his attempts to move from my shoulder to the top of my head.

Boa constrictors: ive seen alot of B. c. imperators(columbian/central american boas) as class room snakes. B. c. c.'s(red tailed boas) are much poorer classroom snakes as they get larger and like it warmer. if yah can get a male BCI it will prolly get around 5 feet long(females are longer) if you lived closer i would give yah the 4 year old male i have who is a classroom presentation veteran and is around 4 feet. but i wont ship him. a very calm snake.

with all snakes you run in to psycotic individuals in what are normally calm species. if at all possible get handle the snake before hand and if at all possible find one thats around a year old at the youngest. young snakes are quite often highly defensive and prone to bite. a lil older animal thats been handled alot already is the best bet. especially if you can check it out in person before hand.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why not dont take the kids out in nature (if the weather still allows it) and look for snakes. That way the kids might appreciate the snake a bit more then just see it in a terrarium disconnected from its environment.
Just my 2 cents ;)

I do think sand boas win the prize for less suitable snake in a class room. The kids dont wanna stare at a empty (so it seems) terrarium.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Why not dont take the kids out in nature (if the weather still allows it) and look for snakes. That way the kids might appreciate the snake a bit more then just see it in a terrarium disconnected from its environment.
Just my 2 cents ;)
As much as I would LOVE to take kids out herping, I can only imagine telling parents that I'm taking their child out to look for snakes. ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As much as I would LOVE to take kids out herping, I can only imagine telling parents that I'm taking their child out to look for snakes. ;)
Tell them you learn them something?
Seriously, you are not concerned over what the parents might say?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just say your trying to highlight the native wildlife.