Classroom Snake Suggestions

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've finally decided that I'd like to get a snake for my classroom and after doing a fair amount of reading, I'm still not sure what to do. I know opinions vary, of course, but I need something that can come fairly close to meeting a few requirements.

A. - Laid back / docile / rarely aggressive or defensive
B. - Able to be handled would be a plus, but not necessary
C. - Will take frozen/thawed prey
D. - Venom not of medicial significance

I've been thinking about a basic corn snake, but thought perhaps there was something more interesting out there.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well as you said corns would be ideal, so many colours to choose from :drool: but a ball python could make an interesting addition. Most snakes from the Elaphe genus are good actually trinket snakes(Elaphe helena) and great plains rat snakes(Elaphe emoryi) are nice. or if you want something more colourful theres all the Milksnakes (Lampropeltis) to choose from.
Dunno if you get them in the US but Brown house snake (Lamprophis fuliginosus) are a personal favourite

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a "basic cornsnake" in my 4th grade classroom and the kids loved it! Hollywood still lives with me even though I don't teach at a public school anymore, and he's still a laid back, docile guy (or gal).
I used to let the kids handle him during class or let Hollywood hang out on my head and shoulders while I teach.... great for keeping the attention of the kids... and it worked great for us.

He's a pretty big guy now... almost 5 feet... but if you live near me and you'd like to have him for your classroom (he is a veteran, after all), you are welcome to him. He's a good boy and he is taking frozen.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say a Corn or basically any King Snake too, my frist snake was a California Banded King Snake (sorry i dont know the scientific name), but it is a beautiful and very laid back snake.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think king snakes, with their colorations, and docile nature, make them great snakes for kids to handle

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would go for a corn snake or a king snake for a classroom environment over a ball python. As neat as gopher snakes are, they sometimes have a bit of an "attitude" which might scare kids. (My little male rattles all the time when distrubed). Ball pythons are great snakes, but they're shyer animals, and are more likely to have security/stress issues in a class room.

Red tail boas are also very docile and they're great snakes, but that might be a bit bigger than you want to take care of in a classroom...plus parents would probably be more upset about a snake that may reach 7ft as opposed to one that might make it to 5 ft.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Kenyan Sand boa!!! They are SO mellow. Corns, to me, seem to always have somewhere to go! They dont stop moving so I can look, pet, poke, prode and hug :D Sandbos are just happy to sit on your hand and let you pet and examine. They have the prettiest eyes!! They come in many different ranges of color and patterns. From brown/yellow, Brown/orange, Black/White, Albino, snow... theyre just gorgeous!! I cant sing their praise enough.
They stay rather small so its not so intimidating for ppl who have problems with snakes. They dont move quickly (other than to eat) so they dont startle the cautious person. They readily eat F/T mice. Very hardy. Did I mention theyre the perfect snake?? :D

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A corn sounds like a good choice. After all its a classic looking snake and usually docile. However, a stressful environment like a classroom with kids knocking endlessly on the glass is not ideal for any reptile.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes corns are beautiful!. Corns and kings are more resistant to environmental fluctuations also than a ball python would be, easier to keep happy.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Part of the reason for having animals in the classroom, is to teach the kids proper respect of the creature... not knocking on the glass, not screaming when it moves or comes near you, etc.

I had more problems with the adults that worked at my school being disrespectful to my class's animals... never with the kids :8o In fact, I witnessed on quite a few occasions... my kids giving an adult a quick lesson in properly caring for the animal and interacting with it :D Those moments made my day!

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would recommend a Black Milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum gaigeae). In my experience they are even more docile than other kings, milks and corns. Whereas I have had other snakes accidentally mistake my hand for food, this has never happened with my Black milks. They are especially gentle. I love them.

Also, they go through really cool color changes. When they are hatchlings, they look like a typical tri-colored snake, but as they mature, they turn into large jet black snakes. (about 6 feet) Another plus is that they can tolerate, and likely prefer, cooler temperatures, so a supplemental heat source would not be necessary.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would recommend a Black Milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum gaigeae). In my experience they are even more docile than other kings, milks and corns. Whereas I have had other snakes accidentally mistake my hand for food, this has never happened with my Black milks. They are especially gentle. I love them.

Also, they go through really cool color changes. When they are hatchlings, they look like a typical tri-colored snake, but as they mature, they turn into large jet black snakes. (about 6 feet) Another plus is that they can tolerate, and likely prefer, cooler temperatures, so a supplemental heat source would not be necessary.
Aren't they a little pricey though?

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I've been looking for one of these for ages...if you know of an online dealer that sells these please post the link

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ball pythons are great snakes, but they're shyer animals, and are more likely to have security/stress issues in a class room.
Agreed. Balls are almost exclusively nocturnal (you'll never see them during school hours :D), and being in high-traffic areas would give them stress fits.

Look into the humble, tiny rubber boa! http://www.rubberboas.com/ Tiny, do fine at room temperature (which is extremely important if they're going to be handled for any length of time, subject to the room's temperatures), docile as can be, and the only species I've ever heard of that can be housed in groups with no real stress/cannibalism issues. The only problem is finding them for sale, but cornsnakes.net has some.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
A third vote for kenyan sand boa.

Though a rubber boa or rosy boa would be good choices as well.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A corn sounds like a good choice. After all its a classic looking snake and usually docile. However, a stressful environment like a classroom with kids knocking endlessly on the glass is not ideal for any reptile.
One of the first things that I work with my students on is respect for any animals we have in the classroom. I've had reptiles before and, along with all the spiders and other inverts that I keep in the room, I've never had any problems with students purposefully stressing them out (tapping on the glass, etc.).

I may just start out with a corn snake - it'll be my first snake, too, so looks like it's time to start doing more research and have things set up. :)

@AneesasMuse - Where are you from?

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree that a corn snake would be the best option for you for a couple of reasons. They have excellent temperments, they are great eaters, they are very hardy, only grow to a modest size as far as snakes go, and they are pretty inexpensive. Another thing is if you go to a pet store that gets in 'variety cornsnakes' you might find a really nice color morph for no extra money. Also, a really cool thing you can do easily with corns is hand feeding...I regulary hand feed baby corns at my work and they'll literally eat right in your hand. Most won't even strike when you hand feed, they'll just open their mouths casually and start eating. That is something I can't really do with the pythons because they always seem to feel the need to strike and coil the food item even if doesn't move after they take hold of it. Good luck with whatever you decide

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea pythons and even boas are more agressive feeders.

Corn is definately a great way to go, you can get some beautiful specimens at pet stores, and dealers have hundreds of morphs. Albinos are always beautiful if you decide to get one.

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aren't they a little pricey though?
Umm, I don’t think so, but I guess that depends on what you are willing to spend. The price for hatchlings usually runs from 80-125 dollars, and I think that’s a fair price.