Classroom Snake Suggestions

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
most of the papers ive seen on them list skinks as a main food source for some populations. though i have to admit its been a few years since i read the papers. while i do believe rubber boas are extreamly interesting snakes. the few ive had access to have left alot to be desired for keeping a kids attention.

Spider Tyrant

Arachnopeon
I recently did a rescue and picked up an absolutely gorgeous baby California Kingsnake. I personally am far more fond of Kingsnakes than I am of Cornsnakes, so that is what I would go with.

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah most Cali Kings are wonderful snakes. BUT ive got a friend with one that makes an iritable cobra look tame :D like i said for a classroom snake if at all possible handle it before buying it or get it from someone you trust, there are psycotic individuals even in the normally tame species.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I vote for cornsnakes. There's a lot of information out there on the genetics of them too. There's even a book just on the genetics of cornsnakes, so that's a good lesson. Plus, I think they might even be native to your state, but I'm not positive. Also a great website -- www.cornsnakes.com that you can get lots of good info from. Lucky students you have, anyway.

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah most Cali Kings are wonderful snakes. BUT ive got a friend with one that makes an iritable cobra look tame :D like i said for a classroom snake if at all possible handle it before buying it or get it from someone you trust, there are psycotic individuals even in the normally tame species.
Your friend must have the same luck with cal kings that I have. I have bought about four or five cal kings in my time, and of all of those, only one was not nippy and poop happy. I think cal kings are beautiful, but I just don’t buy them because they always try to poop on me AND bite me. :(

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Having mainly cornsnakes myself, I can attest to their hardy nature, calm demeanor, and inexpensive price. I don't think you could find a better classroom snake, personally.

Every, repeat every, Cal King I've ever had continually mistakes me for food and latches on. I've yet to meet one that doesn't bite. So I don't think most California Kings would be a great choice for children.

Kenyan Sand Boas are cute, but the 5 I had must have been the oddballs of the species, they bit like there's no tomorrow and did not like to be handled. Not to mention if given the chance, they're going to hide under the substrate all day. I wouldn't consider them all that great for a display animal in a classroom.

I would rule Ball Pythons out immediately. They stress easily and even mine goes on weird hunger strikes occasionally. Plus all of the handling and attention from the kids would give it a complex I'm sure.

Again, I would say no to the Boa Constrictor as well. It'd be a nightmare for parents who are probably already Ophidophobes.

However, being that you're in Tennessee where Corns are native, you are required to have a permit to own them, IIRC (I'm not sure if being a teacher precludes you from that). I have a friend in Murfreesboro who could probably help you out with questions about licensing and possibly procuring you a specimen at little cost. She has donated to classrooms in the past. If you would like her information, drop me a PM.

If that doesn't pan out, I'm sure I've got something around here I could let you have. ;)

Which personally I see corns as being a native species as a good thing. It might encourage children to care more for the wild spots and the native environment to keep the relatives of the class snake around and happy.

But anyway, all we had in classes when I was a kid was gerbils. So having a snake and inverts in class would have been awesome.

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
were they adults or juvi's? alot of colubrid juvies can be a bit twitchy and i dont hold that against them cause they normally grow out of it. my buddy's Cali King is CB and he has had it for 4 years. still spastic as all heck. i prefered dealing with my pythons of so-so temperment than that thing. with the pythons there was only about a 1 in 4 chance of getting bit. that king is a sure thing.

if yah keep enough snakes(especially pythons) your going to wind up getting bit. the trick is to make sure you get nailed by the lil ones and not the big ones :D

rattler_mt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
as long as the boa constrictor was small ive never had issues with parents. male BCI's tend to stay small and are a heck of alot less imposing than the 6 ft plus bullsnakes i occationally catch. never ran into a problem with ball pythons either though i made sure i only recieved captive bred. i had on 12 year old male that would eat even in blue..........that guy refused to miss a meal no matter what :D

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have a cal king snake ive had since 2nd grade (im a senior in college now). In the 14-15 years that ive had him now, ive been bitten 3 times, once was when i was feeding him, (he bit faster than i could let go haha), second time was my fault, in cleaning his cage he was buriend and i grabbed his tail and pull him by accident, and the last time was when i thought my father had fed him and he though i had, so it hadnt eaten in almost 3 weeks (so he was grabbing at everything).

Other than that 14-15 years of all perfect behaviour, they are beautiful snakes and dont get too large, both in length and girth.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
never seen a fox snake before, beautiful though

How large do they get, and hows their temperment?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fox snakes are some of the most laid back reptiles out there, you can pick up a wild one and it will be your buddy. They get about six feet.

Spider Tyrant

Arachnopeon
I have never been bit by a Cali. King. I am rather amazed that someone here has been.

I definately advise against BCI or BCC. Every time I work with these in a classroom situation, they get very angry due to all the vibrations given off by people. Boas are not snakes for large groups of kids.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Fox snakes are some of the most laid back reptiles out there, you can pick up a wild one and it will be your buddy. They get about six feet.
Look into the state herping laws on native species before you pick one up and see if you need a permit or something to keep one.

(As an example, in order for me to own a western hognose snake in IL, I have to apply for a permit just to own the snake, and I must have the permit before I can get one. This includes sending in paperwork every year on the status of the animal.)