Chilobrachys recommendation

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I want to get a chilobrachys species but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking for a "cheap" yet cool species and yes I know that Chylobrachys sp. Electric Blue is awesome, they're also pricey. Any recommendations? BTW I'll probably be getting a juvenile so I don't care if its a slow grower.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I recently realized that among Chilobrachys enthusiasts/lovers, Chilobrachys fimbriatus seems very very popular.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
C huahini is cheap and attractive. No special patterns if that's what you like unfortunately.

fimbriatus is always nice.

Dyscolus blue is the better and cheaper version of sp electric blue.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I'm definitely leaning towards fimbriatus. Any ideas on a fair price? Its usually good to know this ahead of time because I've seen many breeders overcharge at expos.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
C. fimbriatus aside, I like the look of C. sp. Kaeng Krachan. I am a fan of darker/black tarantulas though, so I'm a bit biased to that end.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I'm gonna put my vote forward for C. fimbriatus as well. It's my favorite spider of the Chilobrachys genus, and I really like Chilobrachys species. They're beautiful, quite visible for a heavy-webbing burrower, and they are good eaters. Like all the Chilobrachys sp., they're fast but more than happy to duck into their burrows instead of putting up a fight or bolting.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I'm voting for C. fimbriatus also. I have a 3/4 inch sling, very attractive and it's made lovely web tunnels around it's enclosure, is out quite often and eats well. Very inexpensive also. I bought mine as a bundle with a spiderling enclosure for $25. The sling alone would have been $18.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I really like how with the electric blue they look black until you shine a light on them and see their brilliant blues.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Personally I will stick to C.fimbriatus (there's a reason if they are always at the top of that genus, and I'm not talking about prices/availability) and to C.huahini, this because I like 'dull' colour/s T's.

If you ask me, all the other species are a bit 'hyped' and, to me, nothing special when viewed in real life (colour talking only). As a 'Pro' that never harms, at least here, and in Europe in general, they are quite cheap.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
What kind of setup would be better for a C Fimbriatus? I've seen them in strictly fossorial setups (nothing but substrate and a water dish) and I've seen them in partial fossorial setups (enough substrate to dig but the enclosure is setup closer to terrestrial).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What kind of setup would be better for a C Fimbriatus? I've seen them in strictly fossorial setups (nothing but substrate and a water dish) and I've seen them in partial fossorial setups (enough substrate to dig but the enclosure is setup closer to terrestrial).
Both can work, altough I'd love to stick on the 'lots of inches' of substrate 'rule'.

One thing, I don't like the point of view of a lot of 'pet hole' keepers (including some experienced ones) that, only because those are 'pet holes', do not offer nothing aside a water dish & substrate.

Every pet hole I have and had, had/have always a piece of cork bark and a couple of fake leaves: those are not aesthetics only.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I’d love to figure out the perfect answer. I dont Know that it exists. Mine has been true fossorial, she went in shallow soil and webbed the enclosure so heavily it looked like the inside of a pillow, and currently I put her in a large critter keeper, making the hide and den available for some viewing. She went and lined that open side with web and cut me off from viewing again.
She clearly has a no peaking rule which is a shame for a tarantula that I descriBe as so beautiful, she looks like a piece of art.