Cheap Enclosure <$8.16 (9"x4"x4")

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK, I learned a few things this go around.
1. Smaller needle is much better!
2. Plastic drill bit (one made for plastic) is way better than a modified drill bit.
3. Even small needles squirt all of a sudden and can actually fling solvent if the tip is bent during application.
4. Painters tape as a shield as close to seam as possible saved me several times.
5. If you used too much solvent, DON'T TIP the enclosure until it evaporates completely.

This time around went much faster, but I had many 'accidents' though they were different this time.

This is for my P. muticus. Will be filling with substrate, adding a bowl, and voila!

IMG_20160229_214059.jpg
It's a 10"x10"x10" enclosure. Box cost $12 before tax.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Who'd you use for the plastic bit, Tap Plastics?

What new size gauge needle would you recommend now?

Once the glue is in the needle, would it be better to push some out onto a paper towel before applying it?

Why did the painter's tape help you out?

That looks great man!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
1. It was a local plastic place's bit though I suspect taps is the same or better. Using it this time, i did not have a single hole blow out.
2. I believe it was a 30 gauge, though I'll check when I get home.
3. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I didn't write that in the instructions, but I squirted some into a rag between each line/new area I did.
4. A couple times I dripped a few drops of solvent on the painters tape near the seams as I was lifting the needle off. I went back afterwards and couldn't find the areas where I had dropped solvent. Crystal clear!

I'll post a finished picture (substrate, water dish, maybe even a tarantula ) when I get home.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
And here's the biggest enclosure hobby lobby has to offer!
IMG_20160302_180528.jpg
Perspective is a bit deceiving here...
IMG_20160302_180616.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Open the lid and Pop Goes the T ! I like the setup. How long did it take you to make your FIRST one, vs now, as you have more experience doing it?

Is the combo 666 ? :D

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She's a sweatheart; she whispers sweet nothings to me every time I say hi. :embarrassed:

Funny thing is I had a burrow started so if she launched from her tunnel, she'd have to turn around and go back the same distance to get to me (2x distance=2x time to react). I was awfully proud of how clever I was... She went ahead and filled it in. :shifty:

It took 20 min to cut, chamfer, and clean the lids. 40 minutes to drill holes and clean them up. 5 minutes of prep work for gluing and maybe 15 minutes to do the actual gluing.

I'd say it definitely a better product, a larger project, and marginally less time spent on it. Then again, I was a bit pressed for time. She came in the day after I finished the enclosure...not bad for an hour and a half though!

I have to make my Avic a larger enclosure soon so I'll probably be getting the 15" tall one next...

Oh and there combo is the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage! :astonished:

Tatarita

Arachnosquire
So I talked earlier about making a cheap enclosure out of a hobby lobby model enclosure and it worked fantastic! I need to learn not to drop Acrylic solvent everywhere :banghead:, but fantastic!
Case 7.99-3.19=4.80
Hasp - 0.92
Hinge - 0.92*2=1.84
Reusable item I chalk up to at least 10 more enclosures (super, ultra underestimate)
Glue - 6.00/10= 0.60

I spent about 3 hours tops making this guy
Total $8.15
View attachment 205120
Here's my new little beauty:
View attachment 205121
So I talked earlier about making a cheap enclosure out of a hobby lobby model enclosure and it worked fantastic! I need to learn not to drop Acrylic solvent everywhere :banghead:, but fantastic!
Case 7.99-3.19=4.80
Hasp - 0.92
Hinge - 0.92*2=1.84
Reusable item I chalk up to at least 10 more enclosures (super, ultra underestimate)
Glue - 6.00/10= 0.60

I spent about 3 hours tops making this guy
Total $8.15
View attachment 205120
Here's my new little beauty:
View attachment 205121 [/QU

You did a nice job!
I was wondering if you make one for me, I will pay you.

XsospoonX

Arachnopeon
Sure thing, I'm actually going to make a 10x10x10 soon and have instructions in the making that I was going to post for anyone to use. There are about 5 different sized cases all for under $12 at hobby lobby (after 40% off) and depending on the hole pattern, you can have this too:
View attachment 205165
Here's my concept art for a couple of the sizes:
View attachment 205168
Thats awesome stuff!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I made another one for my P. regalis. It's next to my A. avic.
20160523_211059.jpg
20160518_203630.jpg

Note: gel is for roaches, not T's.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Great work @bryverine ! I really enjoyed reading this thread and your tutorial.

I've also been thinking about ways to make custom enclosures without a lot of expensive equipment. In the past, I've built various boxes (not for spiders) from laser cut acrylic with finger joints or t-slot joints, which avoids the need for glue or acrylic weld. I know there are apps out there that can generate the finger joints for you (no need for Solidworks) and online services (like Ponoko) for getting pieces laser cut if people don't have access to local shops. Also laser cutting means you can easily make ventilation holes in whatever intricate shape or pattern you fancy!

I've yet to try those services but I'm curious as to how the prices would compare. Pretty sure it would not beat your cost (unless you have free access to a laser cutter and free scrap pieces of acrylic, which was true for me while I was still in school haha) but it would take a little less actual hands-on work.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great work @bryverine ! I really enjoyed reading this thread and your tutorial.

I've also been thinking about ways to make custom enclosures without a lot of expensive equipment. In the past, I've built various boxes (not for spiders) from laser cut acrylic with finger joints or t-slot joints, which avoids the need for glue or acrylic weld. I know there are apps out there that can generate the finger joints for you (no need for Solidworks) and online services (like Ponoko) for getting pieces laser cut if people don't have access to local shops. Also laser cutting means you can easily make ventilation holes in whatever intricate shape or pattern you fancy!

I've yet to try those services but I'm curious as to how the prices would compare. Pretty sure it would not beat your cost (unless you have free access to a laser cutter and free scrap pieces of acrylic, which was true for me while I was still in school haha) but it would take a little less actual hands-on work.
Thank you!

I've considered laser cutting for other projects. Though the prices aren't too bad, to really take advantage of them, it seems it should be a bulk/large order. Almost every place I have called locally or got an online quote from had a $50 minimum for my usually $5-10 worth of cutting. :shifty:

I see many 'professional' enclosure makers use this and it looks awesome, but they also sell to a large customer base.

This is something I was considering for my larger adult tarantula enclosures like my 0.1 P. muticus and 0.1 LP.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@bryverine - I'd PM you, but my PM inbox is broken @MrDeranged

I know you used a belt sander to remove plastic from the lid to form those angled edges. As I don't have one of those, what would you suggest, and how precise did you make angles so they would match not only on both sides, but of course on all 4 pieces. That's the only part I haven't figured out very well yet.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
@bryverine - I'd PM you, but my PM inbox is broken @MrDeranged

I know you used a belt sander to remove plastic from the lid to form those angled edges. As I don't have one of those, what would you suggest, and how precise did you make angles so they would match not only on both sides, but of course on all 4 pieces. That's the only part I haven't figured out very well yet.
Perhaps a little sketchy, but you could use a dremel bit that is angled or set the dremel at an angle and slide it along the edge. I've done similar things with a dremel when I've been lazy in the past haha.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps a little sketchy, but you could use a dremel bit that is angled or set the dremel at an angle and slide it along the edge. I've done similar things with a dremel when I've been lazy in the past haha.
Yep I thought of that as well. It's the angle I'm wondering about it. The best way to match it/measure it etc etc.