Cheap Enclosure <$8.16 (9"x4"x4")

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The glue use is problematic. For this project recommendations can and should be made. However, manufacturers both of the acrylic materials and the adhesives, have their own recommendations which should be mentioned. IE things like high pressure injection and micro needles and so on. Sharps, medical injection needles, should be avoided as they are cut off at a severe angle and will not place the glue at the very tip.

Chamfer, kerf and so on should be given a small nomenclature section with good lucid explanations.

Any drill bit will work. However common drill bits like those used for wood may bind in the work. The moment it binds it becomes a wedge just like an axe splitting firewood. With extensive construction like drilling numerous holes people should explore drill bits made specifically for acrylics or alternatives like brad point side cutting bits.

Definitely standardize measurements. Metric is more universal.
How's this: "Disclaimer: Though I make suggestions on supplies for this project, I'm not responsible for the items you choose and their compatibility. For item specific recommendations, see manufacturer's instructions."
Then I can throw in another one that says: "By downloading this instruction manual you have agreed to send me one to three spiderlings of any bred tarantulas that ever inhabited this enclosure, were intended to inhabit this enclosure, or were in any enclosure within a 20 meter radius of this enclosure at any point during their life. This is a legally binding contract." :link:

You know for units, I was thinking hobby lobby part numbers being based in the US, but now that you go mention it, acrylic display cases can be found anywhere. I guess I'll go ahead and metric it up.

Avinlea

Arachnopeon
I saw your initial hobby lobby case with coupon post. I was excited to see that there was a version that had a latch and hinge option.
Thank you so very much for taking the time to document this and for everyone who provided editing!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How's this: "Disclaimer: Though I make suggestions on supplies for this project, I'm not responsible for the items you choose and their compatibility. For item specific recommendations, see manufacturer's instructions."
Then I can throw in another one that says: "By downloading this instruction manual you have agreed to send me one to three spiderlings of any bred tarantulas that ever inhabited this enclosure, were intended to inhabit this enclosure, or were in any enclosure within a 20 meter radius of this enclosure at any point during their life. This is a legally binding contract." :link:

You know for units, I was thinking hobby lobby part numbers being based in the US, but now that you go mention it, acrylic display cases can be found anywhere. I guess I'll go ahead and metric it up.

You don't really need a disclaimer, it's not a legal doc. If they deviate from your instructions and it doesn't work, that's their own fault HAH.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You don't really need a disclaimer, it's not a legal doc. If they deviate from your instructions and it doesn't work, that's their own fault HAH.
Well sure, but how else would I get free tarantulas out of it? ;)
Almost done with version 1.1; I will upload soon for review.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the snark,

I thought there are different types of Acrylic materials out there, more expensive stuff wont turn yellow nor warp.

there are different types and descriptions at Tap Plastics website

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the snark,

I thought there are different types of Acrylic materials out there, more expensive stuff wont turn yellow nor warp.

there are different types and descriptions at Tap Plastics website
I think all material has the ability to warp depending on the stresses created during manufacturing as well as hot/cold cycles of daily temperature fluctuations, use, etc. Even steel will warp depending on how it was made and machined.

I still think the yellowing is due to ozone and UV rather than the substrate.

Acrylic glass or PMMA seems pretty specific as far as chemical components go. I wonder if differences are based on formation process and material quality. Unless of course there are other things added so it's not pure acrylic?

Of course, I'm guessing at all this and could be shamefully wrong... @The Snark is there any truth to my conjectures?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@The Snark is there any truth to my conjectures?
I'm pretty much lost in the woods myself. There are a number of trade secrets formulations, and a lot of manufacturing processes, again some of which are proprietary. Comparing to steel is a very good example.

To oversimplify, there is basic acrylic, mix, cook, form, cool. But take steel. Which alloy? Which process? Take ordinary carbon steel, AISI1020. Your car is made mostly from it. Now process it with the newest method, Flash Bainite, the steel is as strong as titanium and you can get away with 1/2 thickness for the same job.
The same applies to acrylics. Then they can change the properties further by varying temperatures during the cooking, welding, annealing, cooling, reheating, tempering, laminating, pre-stressing, and combinations of those.

Last edited:

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dont want to derail your thread at all bryverine (since you are getting materials from another place, not tapplastic or similar) again appreciate this thread, very cool!
you should see my work lol not neat like yours at all hahah

however here is the link
ive bought some pre cut, for example 12x 6 '' 1/8 thickness is $10 bucks, at qty 6 !!

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_clear/508
i dont work for them lol
im sure there are other plastic providers that sell similar or different types online
you could call and ask for guarantee?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
dont want to derail your thread at all bryverine (since you are getting materials from another place, not tapplastic or similar) again appreciate this thread, very cool!
you should see my work lol not neat like yours at all hahah

however here is the link
ive bought some pre cut, for example 12x 6 '' 1/8 thickness is $10 bucks, at qty 6 !!

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_clear/508
i dont work for them lol
im sure there are other plastic providers that sell similar or different types online
you could call and ask for guarantee?
Hey thanks for the input! I actually plan on making all my adult enclosure that way!
My only issue is the tool requirements:
Display case tool requirements:
1. Coping saw (~$7)
2. File ($7)
Tool requirements for Taps:
1. Coping saw (~$7)
2. File ($7)
3. Router + table ($100)
4. Shipping (I don't have a local one)

Pros:
1.You can order 5 pieces (6.5x12.5) for about $10 like you said.
2. You just take that fifth piece and cut it in half and you have all the sides you need!
3. It's exactly the size you want with no compromise on size.

Cons:
1. none of the edges can be glued to straight from them. You either need to have a very flat surface and ALOT of experience lapping edges while maintaining 90° angles or a router and a router table which I don't have.
2. There is alot more cutting where a bandsaw would be far more useful but that's another $150.

Some day when I have a full workshop of tools, this place will be perfect.

I like the idea of designing my own enclosure down to each dimension, but the display cases are ready to glue right out of the box. I wanted something anyone could make without needing power tools or extreme skill and an exorbitant amount of time.

Thanks again, I can't wait to start another instruction manual using Taps precut acrylic for the more advanced tool user!

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey thanks for the input! I actually plan on making all my adult enclosure that way!
My only issue is the tool requirements:
Display case tool requirements:
1. Coping saw (~$7)
2. File ($7)
Tool requirements for Taps:
1. Coping saw (~$7)
2. File ($7)
3. Router + table ($100)
4. Shipping (I don't have a local one)

Pros:
1.You can order 5 pieces (6.5x12.5) for about $10 like you said.
2. You just take that fifth piece and cut it in half and you have all the sides you need!
3. It's exactly the size you want with no compromise on size.

Cons:
1. none of the edges can be glued to straight from them. You either need to have a very flat surface and ALOT of experience lapping edges while maintaining 90° angles or a router and a router table which I don't have.
2. There is alot more cutting where a bandsaw would be far more useful but that's another $150.

Some day when I have a full workshop of tools, this place will be perfect.

I like the idea of designing my own enclosure down to each dimension, but the display cases are ready to glue right out of the box. I wanted something anyone could make without needing power tools or extreme skill and an exorbitant amount of time.

Thanks again, I can't wait to start another instruction manual using Taps precut acrylic for the more advanced tool user!
Have you finished the PDF file for version 1.1 yet?? Stop yapping about Taps, when you have a project to complete N O W :rofl:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@viper69
Ok, OK. I was going to review it twelve more times, but here it is.
If I forgot to update something you (or anyone else) recommended, let me know.

Edit: I forgot my 'you owe me a tarantula clause' but it still applies! If you even read about using my enclosure instructions, you owe me a tarantula! (Don't tell my wife)

Edit#2: 1.1b has been attached!

Attachments

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I looked at v1.1 just graphically. I like how you did the red glue lines (in profile view) in 1.0 better than 1.1. In 1.0, in profile, the glue lines are thicker, ie wider, that's much easier to see. Now they are hard to see. The same can be said for the thick blue outline in 1.0, that was much better IMO.

Also, and this only visual opinion, the title page, you changed the background behind the acrylic container from transparent to grey. You added some "fill" behind them. While not "wrong", it makes it harder to see the outline. Remember black against white or vice versa offers the best contrast esp for a picture. So not it's slightly harder to look at visually, just being PICKY hah.

The same goes for the hinge colors. You had a great black, but have changed it to a bluish-steel gray of sorts. It's not bad mind you, just easier to see in 1.0

I'll read it later tonight, it looks better. Like the change of saw graphic from metal to a coping saw, good blunt tip notation for the graphic too.

I also liked in the old version how you made the names of the lids in RED font for Step 3, I think that's better than black, esp because they involve glue.

I think your glue section you made is pretty good!!!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I looked at v1.1 just graphically. I like how you did the red glue lines (in profile view) in 1.0 better than 1.1. In 1.0, in profile, the glue lines are thicker, ie wider, that's much easier to see. Now they are hard to see. The same can be said for the thick blue outline in 1.0, that was much better IMO.

Also, and this only visual opinion, the title page, you changed the background behind the acrylic container from transparent to grey. You added some "fill" behind them. While not "wrong", it makes it harder to see the outline. Remember black against white or vice versa offers the best contrast esp for a picture. So not it's slightly harder to look at visually, just being PICKY hah.

The same goes for the hinge colors. You had a great black, but have changed it to a bluish-steel gray of sorts. It's not bad mind you, just easier to see in 1.0

I'll read it later tonight, it looks better. Like the change of saw graphic from metal to a coping saw, good blunt tip notation for the graphic too.

I also liked in the old version how you made the names of the lids in RED font for Step 3, I think that's better than black, esp because they involve glue.

I think your glue section you made is pretty good!!!
I didn't change anything about the hinges that I know of but can definately see the difference. The first image shouldn't have a background at all but should be higher quality, I think I lost something in transition to PDF from my program.
... Curious... I'll see what I can do about the blue colors, not sure what that's about.

Edit: I accidentally changed the material appearance from frosted plastic to translucent plastic. I corrected it and will put out 1.1b here soon.

Edit 2: it's been updated.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I didn't change anything about the hinges that I know of but can definately see the difference. The first image shouldn't have a background at all but should be higher quality, I think I lost something in transition to PDF from my program.
... Curious... I'll see what I can do about the blue colors, not sure what that's about.

Edit: I accidentally changed the material appearance from frosted plastic to translucent plastic. I corrected it and will put out 1.1b here soon.

Edit 2: it's been updated.

I knew something was different. I just DL'd it, I'll take a look later for sure, and comment back here of course. I think your instructions were pretty good to begin with, we are just fine tuning it now.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's looking very sharp! What would be handy right now is someone to undertake building one following the PDF verbatim.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
That looks very well made. Any ways you can post links of where you might be able to buy the case online? I do not have a hobby lobby in my area.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That looks very well made. Any ways you can post links of where you might be able to buy the case online? I do not have a hobby lobby in my area.
I found several on amazon and google by searching for "pioneer plastics".

Make sure you don't get the ones with a mirror or solid black/wood top... unless of course, that's what you want... I like seeing my tarantulas when they feel up to blessing me with their presence.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
I found several on amazon and google by searching for "pioneer plastics".

Make sure you don't get the ones with a mirror or solid black/wood top... unless of course, that's what you want... I like seeing my tarantulas when they feel up to blessing me with their presence.
thanks, I see them on amazon for a couple bucks now. I appreciate it