Chaetopelma gracile

stefanis

Arachnopeon
Thank You Vidaro for Your reply concerning the Chaetopelma olivaceum (gracile) we detected in our hotelroom in Cyprus. This was the last day of a fortnight stay in the same hotel in 2003. Maybe the Tarantula was there all the time without our awareness of it. It scares me a bit when You tell that one person who got biten had to be hospitalized for 8 days. Is it´s behaviour aggressive for humans in any way and how dangerous is their poison if You get biten? Is it maybe even lifethreatening/mortal? I can tell You that if this is so it will not hinder us to return to Cyprus which is a wonderful island I´ve visited several times since 1982. The picture of this Tarantula is a frozened image of a short videoclip I recorded, please visit http://www.flixya.com/video/2043113/Tarantula
for viewing it.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here is some photos of gracile from turkey
4th picture is its habitat

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool pics fatich. I dont think thats a C. olivaeum but its deffinetly a Chaetopelma sp. I read somewhere tha C. karlamani might exist in Turkey aswell.
@ Stefanis : Svensk?:p
Getting bitten by anything with venom could be dangerous.I recently found out that ppl here confuse C.olivaceum with black widow's for some reason, and besides that the dmg done by the bite imho depends entirely on the person resistans to such attacks, pain tolerance and also on how much he knows about these, meaning if an arachnophobe is bitten he can fall in a coma just coz of his fear for them ( a Doctor actually told me about the coma thing) In general no healthy adults have been reported to die by tarantulla bites, unlike spider bites.