Chaerilus sp. "Java"

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
So payday is coming up ive wanted scorpions since i was a kid i have few beautiful tarantulas and fish and kittens so i really look after my pets but dnt know anything about scorpions ive tried looking into the breed chaerilus sp. "Java" but find nothing anyone kept them? and also anyone know ideal substrate? And house for 2 of them? Scorplings preferably tank, and substrate from amazon.co.uk or should i make my own? as i live in the middle of no-where and reptile exotic shops/stores are miles away

Thanks guys

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd hunt for any info you can find on Chaerilus and go from there. Since they're from Java I'd assume they like it humid. You'll probably want to keep them separate since most scorps will eat each other (though I admit I don't know anything about Chaerilus). If it's pesticide free, you could probably use dirt from outside after baking it to remove any potential pests.

Mel92

Arachnopeon
I keep my adults on a soil coco fibre mix, keep damp but not soaking and about 2-3" deep. House in a 2L-3L tub, couple of hides and very small water bowl, feed once a week. For scorplings i keep in a 2oz deli cup with same sub and a little bit of damp moss, feed once a week.Very easy to keep and great little scorpions.

Buthoscorpio

Arachnopeon
They are easy to keep. Keep them warm and humid. You can raise them in small containers (but with enough fresh air circulation). They are really hard to kill, therefore ideal for beginners. I fed mine with thermobia domestica.

SPW49

Arachnopeon
I just got 6 C Hentzi & they are awesome. They’re 3/4”-1”. I put them in a deep blue 5 gallon with a bunch of cork for them to climb on. They are a communal species and do great together. I’ll try and post pics later

PNTxLSTAR

Arachnopeon
I keep my adults on a soil coco fibre mix, keep damp but not soaking and about 2-3" deep. House in a 2L-3L tub, couple of hides and very small water bowl, feed once a week. For scorplings i keep in a 2oz deli cup with same sub and a little bit of damp moss, feed once a week.Very easy to keep and great little scorpions.
Thanks will do the same

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the babies will cannibalise
the adults I've put together end up fighting (all females), so i'd guess its best not to keep them in a communal setup

However - other species of Chaerilus are usually communal from my experience (C.celebenis, C.rectimanus), so my experience might be atypical!

The species name for Chaerilus sp 'java' is most likely Chaerilus variegatus, FYI!

Forest boy

Arachnopeon
the babies will cannibalise
the adults I've put together end up fighting (all females), so i'd guess its best not to keep them in a communal setup

However - other species of Chaerilus are usually communal from my experience (C.celebenis, C.rectimanus), so my experience might be atypical!

The species name for Chaerilus sp 'java' is most likely Chaerilus variegatus, FYI!
Thanks I’ve already got one one it’s own but just ordered another two and I believe although sold as different are in fact the same
Will keep apart then

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Hey, looking for more info on these guys! Do you need to keep them with a heatmat or will room temps do?

Forest boy

Arachnopeon
Lovely little scorpions
Easy to keep treat as you would a Asian forest scorpion
I don’t like coco fibre as it’s too dry I always use spider life as top layer and sedge peat for base layer
No heat mat needed if room is warm

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Lovely little scorpions
Easy to keep treat as you would a Asian forest scorpion
I don’t like coco fibre as it’s too dry I always use spider life as top layer and sedge peat for base layer
No heat mat needed if room is warm
Ideal temperature for them is in the 21°C -24°C range Don't keep them too hot.