Brown Recluse?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mn herein missouri we have brown recluses in damn near every home...and yet still very few people get bit by acuall BR. like stated BR bites are anything a doc cant explain..and with no actual specimen theres no proof..i lived in an apartment a few years ago, and i litterally found hundreds of them in a year...even had one crawling on my neck one night. they really are recluses..

i will say though if that was a true BR bite...you would already be in the hospital..it will be a lil red bump...that turns into a "target" like spot...then it starts rotting away your flesh..ive seen it go from red dot to huge masses of skin literally falling off in a matter of 4 to 6 days.

also ryan..i wouldnt nessicerily say there are no BR's in washington or seatle...as they have been imported by trucking companies to california, alabama, florida, arizona...i wouldnt doubt other states havent got them to. im not saying they are thre...but i wouldnt be so quick to rule out the possibility. imho

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mn herein missouri we have brown recluses in damn near every home...and yet still very few people get bit by acuall BR. like stated BR bites are anything a doc cant explain..and with no actual specimen theres no proof..i lived in an apartment a few years ago, and i litterally found hundreds of them in a year...even had one crawling on my neck one night. they really are recluses..

i will say though if that was a true BR bite...you would already be in the hospital..it will be a lil red bump...that turns into a "target" like spot...then it starts rotting away your flesh..ive seen it go from red dot to huge masses of skin literally falling off in a matter of 4 to 6 days.

also ryan..i wouldnt nessicerily say there are no BR's in washington or seatle...as they have been imported by trucking companies to california, alabama, florida, arizona...i wouldnt doubt other states havent got them to. im not saying they are thre...but i wouldnt be so quick to rule out the possibility. imho
Aye it will start to look like a blister and just erupt. Also i faild to mention the friend that did get bit worked in a produce department. He said he did not know when he got bit, as he did not notice it until he was in the shower the next morning. He called me up and asked if i could take him to the emergency room. His hand/wrist had nearly swollen 3x its normal size and he had intense pain just rotaiting it.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes.(If you ignore the "poisonous" misuse in the start... it is fine.)
Yes, but What, you must finish that quoted passage:

As important as these experiments are, one must keep in mind that there are differences in animal response to spider venoms. As an example, brown recluse spider venom causes skin lesions in humans, rabbits, and guinea pigs, but not mice or rats; Australian funnel web spiders are highly toxic to primates but not other mammals. Therefore, until a study is done with a series of verified bites of hobo spiders in humans resulting in skin lesions, it is more sensible to question the potential of hobo spider to cause skin lesions rather than to make the mistake of emphatically stating that it is a dangerous spider. The definitive proof is still lacking.
The jury is still out. We can't say "hobo's don't cause necrotic sores," because we don't *know* that yet.

And as far as Europeans not having problems with this species, the reason is because of competition with T. gigantea, which out competes T. agrestis in domestic environments, forcing the hobo spiders to reside in very rural environments. The situation is the Pacific Northwest is different, as T. gigantea is not as well established there ( though the population is expanding, so things may change ).

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL WOW who ever told you there are not recluse in washington seattle area is a complete moron.
No, he's right. There are no brown recluse in the Seattle area. If what you have seen were spider bites the most likely culprit would be Tegeneria agrestis, as it's probably the most potent spider in the area. Of course many many natives refer to it as "brown recluse" even though it's completely different. It's also important to note that Tegeneria domestica and Tegeneria gigantea are more common than Tegeneria agrestis, and it's dang near impossible to tell the difference. I wouldn't be convinced of a positive ID without the spider having been examined by microscope by a scientist with experience identifying spiders.

But it's also important to note that "spider bite" is the standard diagnosis for any bump/bite of unknown origin. In common usage I assume it means exactly that, "I got bit by something and have no idea what it was."

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The jury is still out. We can't say "hobo's don't cause necrotic sores," because we don't *know* that yet.
I would take the fact that there are no verified necrotic wounds except in one person with a pre-existing condition to be very significant... But yes, we do not *know* it, it is just extremely unlikely that they are actually dangerous at all.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see 3 main problems with assuming this is a brown recluse bite.

Recluses are NOT known to be in SW Florida. It's outside of their natural range.
This is their reported range:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/33494

I have heard that there are isolated populations in central Florida, near Orlando, however, but I have not seen that verified.

Recluses are shy and don't go around biting people. I do know of a case where a family pulled close to 2,000 recluses in their home in one day that they have been living with for years, and no one in the family has ever been bitten. I personally know of someone who finds them in his house by the hundreds in late summer and has never been bitten either. He gave me one of them and they are certainly brown recluses. Even if you did have one recluse brought into your home from cargo, it is highly unlikely to bite you.

Just going from that picture, that could be an infected mosquito bite, a staph infection, a fungus infection, lyme disease, an ulcer, herpes, a chemical burn, a form of skin cancer, a simple bruise, and/or many other fun diseases or infections that leave skin damage. If you didn't catch the culprit in the act, don't assume it is a spider bite.

Sorry to be blunt or rude, but I see many, many people assume that strange marks on them are spider bites when it really doesn't make sense.
yep. the 2500 recluse in a Kansas home article is in the Journal of medical entomology.

thanx all, zone has not increased in size. just worked all day on the foot, same so hoping was a small amount of venom or herpes :) i'm still monitoring though. thnx again all for info.

loxo is that the uss enterprise? new movie is sick huh?
Live long and prosper{D .

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just going from that picture, that could be an infected mosquito bite, a staph infection, a fungus infection, lyme disease, an ulcer, herpes, a chemical burn, a form of skin cancer, a simple bruise, and/or many other fun diseases or infections that leave skin damage. If you didn't catch the culprit in the act, don't assume it is a spider bite.
This. Quoted for truth.

Looks like a Mesquito bite to me. I think if you were tagged by a recluse you would be feeling a variety of other effects, including the necrosis.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
+1 to no recluses in Seattle.

.....also trim your toenails please.
I think you'll be fine if it hasn't gotten worse by now.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
it always strikes me as funny that the treatment for a "brown recluse bite" is the same as for a staff infection lol.
Those pics of the alleged brown recluse bite look just like my son's finger did when he got a staff infection . And guys, antibiotics will not remedy spider venom. The rotting away of flesh is a microbial problem not a venom problem. this is why antibiotics help. I know people who have been bitten and KNOW it was a brown recluse because they saw it bite them and all they get is a little pimple looking thing. NOW if you smash the things face into your skin and get all the bits and pieces of spider in it you just may wind up with a nasty infection to go along with the venom ... Doctors know less than most amateur hobbyists about spiders so i ignore them when they say you got bit by a brown recluse ...lol

tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
loxosceles bite

Hmm. seems a dermatologist would be able to quickly diagnose this afflicted area . Unfortunately, No ELISA test will confirm Loxosceles venom in a bite, altthough some work is being done on this area. I have kept Loxosceles for several years now including laeta ,reclusa ,rufescens with no bites occuring.
Better safe than sorry,get to doctor quickly.Cheers, Tom

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Round and round
What comes around goes around

:rolleyes:

Recluse bite? Small chance in h*ll ...but even if it is, very small chance of it becoming a problem.
Recluse in Fl? probably, but as of now there has been no established populations confirmed. (??)
Recluse or kin in Seattle? Nope. They could do ok there though...imo. But, as of now, there have been 0 confirmed.
Hobo spiders causing problematic wounds? The evidence has been VERY questionable. IMHO..Bad medical science to create a monster to blame for little holes in skin in an area of the country that doesnt have the more notorious monster blamed for little holes in skin.

The Brown Recluse story is like watching Fox n'friends in the morn ...innuendos, fear and blame... repeat.

!STOP! posting your mysterious red marks and scary little wounds and rotting horse legs and links to tabloid images of unconfirmed horrors here on this SPIDER forum. There ARE medical forums for that.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there was ice under the bandana and it was the only bandage i have. was i wearing the wrong colors:)
I vote staph infection, or other skin infection. Staph infections are almost always thought to be a spider bite at first (i think because people think a bacterial infection means you are personally gross/unclean, which is NOT true) Staph is VERY wide spread, particularly in hot humid climates (Flordia) I know all this because I'm a carrier (Yay me!)

Based on the severity of the possible infection, and the UNLIKELYHOOD of it actually being a bite DO NOT USE ICE!!! You should be using a hot compress, like a wet washcloth heated up in the microwave. This will draw any possible infection to the surface, and possibly save you a trip to the doctor.

Hope this helps.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was probably MRSA or something similar, not a recluse. There is a tiny chance that it was one that was brought in packaging from the midwest, but, the chances of that are *really* slim.
MRSA= super nasty and resistant staph (not literally, but in lay-terms). Agreed.

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My cousin had a spot that developed under his arm, swelled up to the size of a golfball and was seeping pus. He thought it was a bite. New Hampshire area. Turned out to be MRSA. That was quite a problem for a few weeks. He's the type that doesn't like to go to doctors. Remind you of anyone.

Noshownate

Arachnopeon

!STOP! posting your mysterious red marks and scary little wounds and rotting horse legs and links to tabloid images of unconfirmed horrors here on this SPIDER forum. There ARE medical forums for that.

sorry butthuss having a necrotic spider bite is a pretty scary thing, i dont think anyone would disagree. I did have the symptoms of a serious bite during the first hours (target bullseyee n all). Sorry if i would rather seek help from spider experts rather than a doctor who is gonna say hey take this medicine and give me money then tell me its a br recluse, when its not. again i apologize for going to a spider forum for spider information.:?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
sorry butthuss having a necrotic spider bite is a pretty scary thing, i dont think anyone would disagree. I did have the symptoms of a serious bite during the first hours (target bullseyee n all). Sorry if i would rather seek help from spider experts rather than a doctor who is gonna say hey take this medicine and give me money then tell me its a br recluse, when its not. again i apologize for going to a spider forum for spider information.:?
Hey man,

You'll get plenty of spider INFORMATION here, it's one of the best places on the Internet to do so... but as far as diagnosing a very unremarkable wound from really bad pictures for a spider that isn't even supposed to exist where you live... well, I wouldn't count on that. :)

Seriously though, there are maybe 5 people here that are even qualified to give a medical diagnosis of dermatological or systemic symptoms, and none of them would even dream of doing it based on those pictures... if things get worse, get yourself to an emergency room, is all ANYONE should be telling you over the Internet. Best of luck!