1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brazilian Blue - Pterinopelma Sazimai

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by MadMauC, Jul 13, 2014.

1. efmp1987

efmp1987 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I tested mine (3.5 inches female) on different substrates and set ups in a span of 1 week.

1. Dry substrate from top to bottom - it spent a great deal of time near the water dish.
    2. Too moist substrate and the spider spent more time basking on the dry cork slab / roof.
    3. Bottom half of substrate moist, top half dry is the perfect substrate it seems, for her anyway.
    3. Mines shows a particular dislike for cork tube (or probably any hide she cant make changes herself).
    4. Loves hides made of concrete. It excavated 2 baseball size chambers under the the concrete hide and consequently moved up around 3 cups of substrate.
    5. Spends half of her time in the burrow, half on the surface.
    6. Great appetite. Mine will take dubias from tongs.
    7. Will wander endlessly/cling to roof of enclosure if newly re-housed, as most Ts do.

Disclaimer: Each spider is different.

2. JoP

JoP Arachnosquire

Just curious if anyone can provide some info on the temperament of Sazimais? I haven't been able to find a ton of info on them, so I'd love insight from someone who's keeping them.

3. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    Go check out Tom Moran on YouTube. Great vids on these guys.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron

My female is pretty well behaved. She is skittish, but never defensive. Though I don't try handling her or anything.
    Definitely has a great response to prey insects being offered.

5. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

As slings mine stays burrowed under his cork bark nearly all the time. From time to time I will lift the cork bark and he is pretty chill but they definitely have pretty good speed. Mine is around 1- 1.5 and is finally starting to show a little blue after his last molt.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    I find my pair to be fairly skittish, but never defensive. Just easily startled, and fast for terrestrials.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JoP

JoP Arachnosquire

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! That gives me a great idea of what they're like, and lines up with what I was expecting based on their locale of origin and husbandry info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spoodergirl

Spoodergirl Arachnopeon

My adult female. She is skittish & loves her hide.

Attached Files:

9. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

Your sazi's are gorgeous! I have a pair as well, they were sold to me as a pair before I realized that sac mates won't be able to breed. Bummer.

OP: In my experience they act very much like my Brachypelma sp.'s and share the ecology of their habitat (except a little bit cooler - their home is high in the mountains). Mine are medium skittish and ballsy if threatened, I have seen my 3,5 in juvies both throw threat postures if they feel threatened fex when I tickle their burrows at a time when they're not hungry (usually meaning premolt).

I'm loving the species, it was the first one where I geeked out and got the scientific paper, going deep. A friend of mine owns a farm in Minas Gerais, the area in Brazil which is the type location for the species (Bonus: Same hood as the Dolichothele diamantinensis!) - and I have free access to the property. A field trip is a distant wish :) The two species share habitat, in the mountains of the "Chapada Diamantina" national park at a place called "Campos Ruestros".

Fun fact: The male of this species was wrongly identified for five years, from 2011 to 2016. They were thought to be sexually dimorphic because what they thought was the male had a brown colour while the female had the characteristic iridescent blue. BUT - the true P. sazimai male was found in 2016 and lo and behold - he was just as brilliantly blue as his babe.

Premolt is forever but the increase in size between molts is amazing:

Sources:

2011: Bertani, R., Nagahama, R. H. & Fukushima, C. S. (2011). Revalidation of Pterinopelma Pocock 1901 with description of a new species and the female of Pterinopelma vitiosum (Keyserling 1891)

2016: A new species of Pterinopelma (Araneae: Theraphosidae) from the highlands of the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil and description of the male of P. sazimai

Can attest. Both my male and female juvie prefers it very dry with the usual overflowing the dish. If I moisten the substrate too much they are on the walls for weeks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    This is interesting. Actually my pair seems to prefer it pretty dry, too - I thought I was doing something wrong, but maybe they are not as moisture loving as people think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron

I can back this up further. My female tends to avoid the more wet areas. That's how I can tell the substrate has dried in fact. If she's near the water dish then the substrate has dried around it since the last overfill.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    I usually overflow the water dish so that there are areas of dry and moist substrate available to the T, and it can hang out where it wants to. I've never noticed either of my sazimais hanging out on the wet sub.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ThisMeansWAR

ThisMeansWAR Arachnosquire

Interesting stuff. I read the same thing - that they wanted more moist conditions. People saying that they had to endure rain, plugging up their burrows and whatnot. But again, they are not super-stoked on damp conditions. I guess it appears that they just tolerate that stuff but prefer drier conditions. Frankly, both of the critter keepers with sazi's are bone dry except for the "moist corner" with a dish.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

20170904_115210.jpg 20171211_185134.jpg Awesome species. The bright blue coloration will slowly fade as they approach the end of their molt cycle. It is most prevalent when they are recently molted.

This was my female before her last molt. Grouchy, and quite dull in comparison. She came out looking great though. 20171114_201009.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester

I just bought a pulchra sling, and they’re tossing in a sazimai as a freebie. Pretty stoked about it after reading up on them!

• Like Like x 5
  16. Pax

Pax Arachnopeon

any update on this one?
    are they fast grower?
    how large to they get? 6 inch max ?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

@Tomoran did a rehouse and notes video on this species recently that might provide the information that you require.

18. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron Active Member

I've read they can get somewhat defensive when they put on size, tiny slings are pretty fast/prone to bolt. Keep with enough substrate to burrow if they want to, maybe half dampened but not soaked and a water dish as with any other species (assuming the spider is over 3/4 of an inch or so).

19. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Geez, this info has already been provided within this very thread.

20. Pax

Pax Arachnopeon

thanks bro planning to get one