Best T to handle?

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I realise that it really depends on the temperment of the spider and the willingness of the owner to handle a tarantula, however, I would just like an opinion, what tarantulas (IYO) are the most docile and easiest to handle?

If anyone says Usambara I'm gonna die laughing {D

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of the T's, I have or have had in the past, A. hentzi, B. albopilosum, B. emelia, G. rosea, and beleive it or not L. parahybana.

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well certinaly not a usmabra (P Murimus), i own one myself, i got my self a pair of extra long tweasers to remove dead crickets, it attacks anything that moves.... Anyway to the point..

My Avic Avic is lovely, i dont handle it often (so i dont stress to it much), but when i do he/she is really nice, although it dont like comming onto my hand that much (proberly thinks im gonna eat it, lol), its only once shot poo at me, because my friend is really scared of spiders and when the spider touched him he totally freaked and it shot poo, this spider will not bite u or shoot hairs, it will only shoot u with poo :)

heres a pic of me holding avic and a pic of its beauty, enjoy

Attachments

Last edited:

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey Taco....OBT =D

You can handle mine if you want...MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i handle my OBT although they're not kinda docile and "friendly" type.. but so far so good, it did try to escape a few times but i always ask my friend to stand-by in case of an excape when i handle my obt so u can get an obt and try it out too!! but at own risk !! hahaha!!

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
out of all of mine .. i'll only pick up my rosie (she's the biggest right now), i will hold the curly hair and the rio grande gold (but my rio grande gold doesn't have the "sticky feet" like my rosie, so i'm kinda worried about it slipping and falling. my husband holds ALL of my T's..a.avic and his fav. the t.blondi.
the rest is too little for me too hold (1/4 - 3/4" all eight slings).
gonna get an OBT for hubby soon. he'd pick it up...just like he does the t.blondi ( it's only 2" right now, but he has it crawling all over him).
dianne

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Anything in the genera Eupalaestrus or Grammastola :)

Joy

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My G rosea and A avic are both docile enuff to handle even though I hardly ever do.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually posted this Q about a month ago, but I'm having a hard time finding the thread to link to here.

Anyway, the responses I got were typically in favor of Avicularia spp., Brachypelma spp., and Grammastola spp. With overwhelming favor to B. emilia and smithi (Mx Red Knee) and G. aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee).

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
I agree with Joy. (see above)

The "Pink Zebra Beauty" - Eupalaestrus campestratus - is, IMO, the most docile tarantula in the trade and the best beginner "pet". I let kids pet their fangs. I make them "play dead" upside down in the palm of my hand. I've even put them in my mouth, but the several days of swelling reminded me that sometimes I am just plain stupid. Similar, but larger, is the "Chaco Giant Gold-knee" - Grammostola aureostriata, which is my favorite non-arboreal New World species. Contrary to popular opinion, some G. rosea - "Chilean Rose" - are not docile at all, but most are, and it is another popular choice. Then there's that jet black beauty Grammostola pulchra - "Brazilian Black". Stick with the these two genera as Joy wrote. Avics can be good for the more experienced handler, but are jumpy and fast; Brachys can be also good, but most are hardcore urticating hair flickers. Your sensitivity to these hairs will dictate whether you want to handle them - I don't. Of the Brachys, I think B. albopilosum is the best for handling (or B. smithi if you have a calm specimen and are not hypersensitive to urticating hairs like me).

Last edited:

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In some ways, the Aviculariae are better to handle. You have a lesser risk from the urticating hairs and you don't have to worry as much about the T falling. If I am showing someone how I handle my Ts, I use my very docile A. versicolor. I could use one of my Brachys but I don't want to take the risk of a fall.

Karen N.

gusman1204

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do any of you guys handle pokies? i know they are dam fast but are they actually that agressive, im relatively new to the happyb but already got 10 T's and one of my last additions was 4" P. Regalis, his/her speed freaks me out but i still wonna try handlin eventualy :rolleyes:

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well if asking for the "best" T to handle, i would say my adult A. versicolor, mine is very docile, she wont even move or wiggle around when i pick her up, she's very sweet.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gusman1204 said:
do any of you guys handle pokies? i know they are dam fast but are they actually that agressive, im relatively new to the happyb but already got 10 T's and one of my last additions was 4" P. Regalis, his/her speed freaks me out but i still wonna try handlin eventualy :rolleyes:
from what i have read, if they bite it will hurt. but hey it's your body.