Best T to handle?

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any pokey {D

EDIT: lol that was a joke, I didnt see that someone was acually considering it. Bad idea they are very nervous and their bite is supposed to cause excrutiating pain. I saw a pic of Bearpaw holding one though.

Last edited:

Mikeymike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol eassssy......chaco gold knee, my only sling that doesnt rape me senseless anytime i change the water dish. Vey shy and friendly, a great choice.

<Mikey>

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of the critters in my collection I've held, I'd say hands down, my Eupalaestrus campestratus. As Michael said in his post, I can lie her on her back on my hand and she's exceptionally gentle. I have two, and both will sit on your hand for hours on end and just occasionally shift themselves to get more comfortable. I also have and handled G. pulchra, a few different Aphonopelmas (which seem kinda variable), several different Avics and L. Parahybana. Surprisingly, the parahybanas I've held are not bad.. not really defensive per se, but the slightest little thing makes them bolt like mad. I had one run up my arm.. and up my neck.. across my ear (talk about getting the willies), and face before I managed to coax it into strolling down my ponytail back into its cage.

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
soon I shall handle my chaco golden becuase he/she just molted yesterday! grew from 1/2 to 1 inch! huzzah!

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only one of mine that was coopertative enough to get onto my hand was my rosea but last week she started getting into a defense posture at any contact with her tank and attacked the tweezers so I figure she is done with that game.

My A. Avic is crafty and when I try to herd it on my hand iit will turn to the side as soon as it senses it's next step is warm flesh. The 3 or 4 times it has happened she has treadmilled a bit before relaxing a bit.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think I'm going to have to get an E.campestratus next time a vacancy appears in my tanks.

I'd like to throw in a vote for B.vagans. It's a little more skittish than B.smithi but, im my experience, it's pretty nice to handle and won't kick hair so much. I would give a thumbs up to B.vagans, smithi and emilia in general.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My most reliably-docile T is by far my Grammostola aureostriata. I've never seen any slightest indication of a threat or defensive move from her, and she never objects to stepping up onto my hands(yeah, handS-with an "S", since she's bigger than just one of my hands by a good bit). Of the five G. roseas I have or have had, only one so far has not had "bad days" when they would rear up or even lunge if I so much as opened the cage, and one was just downright nasty. My G. pulchra is much better now than she was, since she used to be very skittish and one of the worst hair-kickers EVER, but she has stopped kicking hairs, though, since her moult. Last night she surprised me by rearing and striking out with her forelegs at me as I was unearthing her water dish, which she'd buried. I guess she did't want to see me undermine all her hard work and effort! My E. campestratus has mellowed considerably since her last moult, too, but occasionally she will give me the "butt threat", as I call it, and prior to her moult, she was absolutely wicked, the only one of my T's that actually would HISS at me! I've seen and handled other PZB's that were very defensive and prone to threat postures and hair-kicking, much worse than any of my Brachy's. None of my Brachy's have ever threat-postured, though they do occasionally flick hairs. My B. boehmei is prone to sudden panic attacks and taking off in a tizzy at the least little thing, so I don't hold her often for fear not of her biting, but falling. Sometimes my Curlies will take off without warning, too, and both love to web my hand extensively while I am holding them, and that stuff is a *&^%$ to rub off! My Avic avic never fails to shoot crap bombs at me if I try to handle her, and she had impeccable aim! My Avic metallica is a very gentle spider, seems to enjoy sitting on my arm or shirt, and have less to worry about her falling, with her being an arboreal. HOWEVER, she is such a pain to get back into her enclosure, that I usally just leave her alone-never let anyone tell you that spiders don't know when they are going to be picked up, or put back into a cage, 'cause that one sure does!

pitbulllady

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mikeymike said:
chaco gold knee, my only sling that doesnt rape me senseless anytime i change the water dish.
<Mikey>
OOOOOOHHHHHH, that's gotta be painful.... ;) what does your crisis counselor say about you subjecting yourself to repeated violation by spiders? {D

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
gusman1204 said:
do any of you guys handle pokies? i know they are dam fast but are they actually that agressive, im relatively new to the happyb but already got 10 T's and one of my last additions was 4" P. Regalis, his/her speed freaks me out but i still wonna try handlin eventualy :rolleyes:
There are quite a few people who do, including myself. Before attempting it, however, I would strongly suggest you:

1) read the Poecilotheria bite reports on this site so you know the risks involved;

2) acquire plenty of experience in handling tarantulas in general, and take all possible precautions for the spider's safety. Among other things, it's recommeded that you handle on a carpeted floor or other soft surface, in a room devoid of inaccessible, spider-sized hiding places and also devoid of onlookers who might react unfavorably to a large spider suddenly leaping onto their body;

3) make sure the Poecilotheria in question is in a good mood!

Joy

Last edited:

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joy said:
There are quite a few people who do, including myself. Before attempting it, however, I would strongly suggest you:

1) read the Poecilotheria bite reports on this site so you know the risks involved;

2) acquire plenty of experience in handling tarantulas in general, and take all possible precautions for the spider's safety. Among other things, it's recommeded that you handle on a carpeted floor or other soft surface, in a room devoid of inaccessible, spider-sized hiding places and also devoid of onlookers who might react unfavorably to a large spider suddenly leaping onto their body;

3) make sure the Poecilotheria in question is in a good mood!

Joy
I second what Joy just said here and add maybe start out by holding other arboreals Avics, Taps and Psalmos first, that will help you learn as to what to expect from them as they act in a lot of ways like pokies and if you do make the wrong move and get tagged by one of them it won't be nearly as bad of a bite. Greg

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I second a lot of the prior statements, having a good room where there aren't a lot of hiding spaces, a preferably a carpet is really a major plus. That's one of the biggest reasons I rarely, if ever, hold my Ts. I'm more worried about the T getting lost than getting bit (not that I'm really excited about that either, but you know what I mean). I have way too much clutter!
I would say start with something slow and gentle and see how *you* feel about holding the T. A lot of the animals recommended in this thread are great choices. Find out how you react to the T and if this is something for you. Some folks react badly to sudden movements or the feeling of having a spider on their person. For example, I have a friend who really wants to hold Ts, but she's way too twitchy- she'll try holding one and out of nowhere, just freak and drop the T even though it wasn't moving. Anyway, just some things to think about before you get started.

Last edited:

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's another vote for Grammostola aureostriata and Eupalaestrus campestratus. The Chaco will not fuss about being picked up, and will walk around and "strut her stuff" when she is on you. The pink zebra will sometimes flick when we initially take her out of her home, but once out - zzzzzzz. She is ideal for showing to kids, or severe arachnophobes, as she can be pet without fear of her moving.

Our others that are handled without hesitation are A. avicularia, A. chalcodes, A. sp (Carlsbad Green), A. wichitanum, B. albopilosum, B. smithi, and our G. rosea.

Rick

Zeus9699

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Best

The most docile tarantulas, in my humble opinion, are the Chaco Golden Knees and the Rose. I have never heard of either of these species being even the slightest bit aggressive.

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Handle this

The only ones I have not handled are my slings Psalmopoeus pulcher, Tapinauchenius purpureus and any I don't have. I dreed the day I have to with my Tap p.!

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to say my Crassicrus lamanai, she will lay on her back on the palm of my hand.

Art

KRT

Arachnopeon
I vote for Grammostola aureostriata. It s very nice spider like teddy bear.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I hold my L. Parahybana all the time - she's very calm and has never threatened...I've heard that some do though...maybe I'm just lucky.

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hope my parahybana grows up to be like that one!

The only kids that i get out to play with any frequency would be:
G. rosea babies (I've known them since they came out of the egg sack!)
A. anax (totally chill 2 incher)
A. versicolor 3&1/2'' (very twitchy, speedy and jumpy but a fun challenge)

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our Chaco is nuts... She strikes at tweasers. Same with the B. Sabulosum. Our pet hamster-spider is the B. Smithi. Our A. Avic is cool to hold by us, but I wouldn't put it in anyone's hand who I thought might be jumpy. She's skiddish and will bolt, and I can see her getting dropped.