b. albopilosum

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Anyone of you knows whats the life span of brachypelma albopilosum?
My brachypelma albopilosum is digging extensively she/he also have this multiple tunnels of network underground when i put her in an 24 gallons aquarium with couple of live mealworm, after couple of days many mealworms are dead, they look mutilated, others are bitten with distinctive holes not eaten (bloody left over) is that behavior ok? she/he 's just 1.7 inches. :? :? :?
Most Brachypelma species are quite long-lived, you can probably expect a good 20-25 years provided she is a healthy female.

Is she used to eating mealworms? Often, when an unfamiliar prey item is introduced it is either ignored or killed and not consumed. If that is the only prey item offered, she will eventually get hungry enough to eat them.

24 gallons seems a bit large for such a small T, she could also be having trouble even finding the mealworms as the burrow extensively.

lordddelgado

Arachnopeon
Most Brachypelma species are quite long-lived, you can probably expect a good 20-25 years provided she is a healthy female.

Is she used to eating mealworms? Often, when an unfamiliar prey item is introduced it is either ignored or killed and not consumed. If that is the only prey item offered, she will eventually get hungry enough to eat them.

24 gallons seems a bit large for such a small T, she could also be having trouble even finding the mealworms as the burrow extensively.
Yes she's used to meal worms when she's still in a delicup, I put lots into her 24 gallons enclosure, mealworms dig too, when one goes to her tunnel she just bite it then pushing it out(maybe she like pizza for meals). sometimes you saw bits of dead mealworms, I think she's gonna be a very fiercefull predetor someday, Im just worried if she's stuck or burried alive. by the way, shes getting bald abdomen is it ok? do i need to remove all the mealworms when preparing to molt? or just send her back to a delicup?

lordddelgado

Arachnopeon
Yes she's used to meal worms when she's still in a delicup, I put lots into her 24 gallons enclosure, mealworms dig too, when one goes to her tunnel she just bite it then pushing it out(maybe she like pizza for meals). sometimes you saw bits of dead mealworms, I think she's gonna be a very fiercefull predetor someday, Im just worried if she's stuck or burried alive. by the way, shes getting bald abdomen is it ok? do i need to remove all the mealworms when preparing to molt? or just send her back to a delicup?
oh by the way I got another B.albo today 2.5 inches, but not digging, always staying in the upper coner of the aquarium (arboreal wannabe?), Im worried because her abdomen is so fat... what kind of behaviour is that? the previous owner said he feeds it every other day, varieties of meals...:?:?:?:wall::wall::wall:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
oh by the way I got another B.albo today 2.5 inches, but not digging, always staying in the upper coner of the aquarium (arboreal wannabe?), Im worried because her abdomen is so fat... what kind of behaviour is that? the previous owner said he feeds it every other day, varieties of meals...:?:?:?:wall::wall::wall:
There should be NO prey items in an enclosure with a molting T. They are at their most vulnerable at this time and any prey could stress them out or even nibble on them! :eek:

Your new one is just probably stressed from the move. Give her some time to adjust to her new surroundings. It's possible that she may just not be a burrower, at 2.5" she could be "grown up" enough to be content to lay on top of the substrate. I have two about that size and neither burrow. Her fat opisthoma is most likely just obesity if the previous owner fed her every other day. Nothing wrong with a big booty, she won't pop! :D

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anyone of you knows whats the life span of brachypelma albopilosum?
My brachypelma albopilosum is digging extensively she/he also have this multiple tunnels of network underground when i put her in an 24 gallons aquarium with couple of live mealworm, after couple of days many mealworms are dead, they look mutilated, others are bitten with distinctive holes not eaten (bloody left over) is that behavior ok? she/he 's just 1.7 inches. :? :? :?
24G tank is dangerous for a 1.7inch T esp for curly hair(mean eating machine)