Avicularia avicularia

cold blood

Staff member
A healthy avic wont just fall. We worry about terrestrials because they are heavy bodied and not good climbers.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
A healthy avic wont just fall. We worry about terrestrials because they are heavy bodied and not good climbers.
Fair enough, I guess my line of thinking was that Ts in premolt tend to not be able to grip as well as normal, but if the T builds its web it'll likely just spend all of its time in that anyway rather than on the sides of the enclosure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Fair enough, I guess my line of thinking was that Ts in premolt tend to not be able to grip as well as normal, but if the T builds its web it'll likely just spend all of its time in that anyway rather than on the sides of the enclosure.
Their grip isn't as good during pre-molt, but I've never seen one fall off the sides or the furnishings. The only fall I have witnessed was from a screen lid, and I suspect it was because the tarsal claws were stuck, and she fell while trying to free herself. (This is why I cover screen lids, even for arboreals.)

Still, as a safety measure, it's good to avoid anything sharp/jagged that is pointing upright.