Avicularia avicularia

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
Hi! I’m new here and new to tarantula keeping. I got a common pink toe about 3 months ago and it has definitely been a learning experience. I had always wanted a tarantula ever since I was about 13 and now finally I got one! I went to a reptile convention and saw the little pink toe and thought she was so cute. I’ve spent hours researching and watching videos on many tarantula species including my own. I think I got it down how to properly care for mine. However, I am always open to any advice to be a better owner and I do have a couple questions. As I said before, I've had my tarantula for almost 3 months now and she has yet to molt. I got her as a juvenile, I’m guessing. I’m still kind of unsure of age terms. My profile picture is the first day I got her. So I’m wondering, is it normal she hasn’t molted yet? She’s grown quite a bit, but I haven’t seen a molt. Maybe I’m impatient and she’s working on it. Any answers or advice or just knowledge in general about the species is appreciated!

***Edit:
Thank you all so much for your help! I’m afraid had I not come here for some answers and advice, things would have ended badly for my poor spider. I now know if I ever decide to get another tarantula, I absolutely must research more reliable sources beforehand. I feel terrible for not taking care of her as properly as I should have been but I was very misinformed. Now I know what to do to have a healthy spider. I’m still open to any advice or discussion and thank you all again so much for the help :)

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
You might want to post a pic of her enclosure... there's a lot of utterly wrong information about Avics out on the web and it isn't easy for beginners to get the care right.

Do you have a proper arboreal setup, dry (!!!) substrate, plenty of ventilation?

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
You might want to post a pic of her enclosure... there's a lot of utterly wrong information about Avics out on the web and it isn't easy for beginners to get the care right.

Do you have a proper arboreal setup, dry (!!!) substrate, plenty of ventilation?
This is the enclosure I have now. Unfortunately, after getting this one, I did learn they do need better ventilation than the screen top that this comes with provides. She stays sitting at the top behind her leaves so I’m really hoping because she does in fact stay by the screen, she’s getting better air flow than if she were sitting more in the middle. I keep the substrate dry but I do mist the enclosure every day or two to keep humidity up. It’s cold and pretty dry where I live right now. I keep a water dish in there as well. And because those two things still weren’t enough for this winter, I use a humidifier as needed. I try to keep the humidity between 70-80%. The temperature stays between the mid 70’s and lower 80’s because I keep her upstairs and my upper level stays noticeably warmer than my first floor. She seems to be doing well but has refused food the past few weeks but I hear that’s not uncommon.

Tarantulas can´t grow without moulting. They need to form a new exoskeleton and shed the previous one.

Maybe she did molt and I missed it? I check on her multiple times a day to make sure all is well in the enclosure. There was a time where she’d stay at the bottom of her enclosure and I was so worried. That’s when I went and got the humidity gauge and realized I needed a humidifier for the winter time around here. She’s stayed at the top since!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
Instant red flag.

Humidity is completely irrelevant to tarantula keeping (tarantulas can not obtain moisture from the air) and chasing arbitrary numbers can kill Avicularia.

Read the following threads and come back with any specific questions you have.

avicularia-care
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461396

Thank you so much! So I definitely do need a better ventilated enclosure. The only question I have is, why would she have more normal behavior when I got the humidity higher? As I said in another reply, for a few days I kept finding her at the bottom of the enclosure. I got so afraid she was dying because she was on her side. Belly on the glass and her legs on one side squished between her body and the substrate as if she had slid down the glass. I panicked and went to google and came to the conclusion that she needed it more humid. My friend gave me a humidifier and I went to the pet store and got the gauge. Since then, I’ve kept the humidity stable and now she stays sitting at the top of her enclosure like when I first got her. It is possible it was a coincidence and there was something else going on, of course. Any ideas?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Since then, I’ve kept the humidity stable and now she stays sitting at the top of her enclosure like when I first got her. It is possible it was a coincidence and there was something else going on, of course. Any ideas?
Probably just hanging around the only source of ventilation in the enclosure (My C. versicolor pair can often be found sitting above the front vents of their enclosures). Also, when you first house a tarantula they will tend to be more active up until they get used to their new surroundings.

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
Probably just hanging around the only source of ventilation in the enclosure (My C. versicolor pair can often be found sitting above the front vents of their enclosures). Also, when you first house a tarantula they will tend to be more active up until they get used to their new surroundings.

So you think she was indeed dying from the lack of ventilation? ☹

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Maybe she did molt and I missed it?
I suppose you would have noticed the old moult laying around somewhere in the enclosure. Most likely the abdomen have just gotten more plump :)

So you think she was indeed dying from the lack of ventilation? ☹
Too much humidity and too little ventilation is dangerous for Avics. Stuffy enclosures and incorrect husbandry is what often kills them.

boina

Lady of the mites
That humidity numbers are going to kill your Avic for sure. To conclude from a simple coincidence that your Avic needed more humidity doesn't work. She now probably stays at the top of the enclosure because that's the only place where she can actually survive - away from the humidity.

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
I suppose you would have noticed the old moult laying around somewhere in the enclosure. Most likely the abdomen have just gotten more plump :)

Too much humidity and too little ventilation is dangerous for Avics. Stuffy enclosures and incorrect husbandry is what often kills them.

Noooo ☹ Well, I’m glad I came here for help! I’ll be looking for a better enclosure ASAP! Thank you

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
No. She was just moving around. She's dying now from excessive humidity.

Yes yes. I’ve looked at a few Avic posts on here and you were so right about how misleading online caresheets are! I have a much better understanding of what she needs and I am getting a better enclosure ASAP. Thank you for your help!

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
I've have had an a. avic in one of those enclosures for 9 months, it has molted twice. Dry substrate, long piece of cork bark leaning against the side and fake plants along half of the top. Water dish near the cork bark. While it doesn't have cross ventilation it seems to do fine. Eats, molts, webs, drinks.

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
I've have had an a. avic in one of those enclosures for 9 months, it has molted twice. Dry substrate, long piece of cork bark leaning against the side and fake plants along half of the top. Water dish near the cork bark. While it doesn't have cross ventilation it seems to do fine. Eats, molts, webs, drinks.
That’s good to hear. Mines been alright except for the one instance she started acting funny. I do plan on still getting an enclosure with cross ventilation just to be safe but your post definitely makes me feel better :)

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
I just got my new enclosure in the mail today and I thought I’d share! I know it’s not perfect but now she has cross ventilation and it’s a bit taller than the old one. I definitely need a taller plant and maybe some type of perch for the top? I’ve even seen little “shelves” for water dishes to put at the top. It still needs some work but I am glad this has the ventilation that is needed.

Attachments

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I just got my new enclosure in the mail today and I thought I’d share! I know it’s not perfect but now she has cross ventilation and it’s a bit taller than the old one. I definitely need a taller plant and maybe some type of perch for the top? I’ve even seen little “shelves” for water dishes to put at the top. It still needs some work but I am glad this has the ventilation that is needed.
Either your T is still pretty small or that enclosure is RIDICULOUSLY tall :rofl: Honestly I'd just compensate for the plant height by adding a couple more inches of substrate in the bottom of the enclosure and the plant can stand higher. I'd almost be worried that even for an arboreal, a fall from the top onto the harder decor could prove dangerous or even fatal to be completely honest.

Otherwise, looks pretty good! You could definitely add more foliage topside. And i've always wanted to try out using those little food/water dish inserts you see in crested gecko enclosures for my arboreals, see if those get any use.

Last edited:

taylorshanaaa

Arachnopeon
Either your T is still pretty small or that enclosure is RIDICULOUSLY tall :rofl: Honestly I'd just compensate for the plant height by adding a couple more inches of substrate in the bottom of the enclosure. I'd almost be worried that even for an arboreal, a fall from the top onto the harder decor could prove dangerous or even fatal to be completely honest.

Otherwise, looks pretty good! You could definitely add more foliage topside. And i've always wanted to try out using those little food/water dish inserts you see in crested gecko enclosures for my arboreals, see if those get any use.

The enclosure is 6x6x16. So maybe more substrate would indeed be good in case of a fall. But yes! I’m going to order a few more things to make it less bare and a bit less dangerous lol. Thank you for the help! :happy:

cold blood

Staff member
The wood needs to extend all the way tot he top.. Height isn't an issue for arboreals.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
The wood needs to extend all the way tot he top.. Height isn't an issue for arboreals.
You don't think it'd be a problem if the T fell that distance down to the bottom? Though the T and enclosure are far smaller than I initially thought.