At what point do you turn the tables?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh, I forgot to offer my 'Extreme Wisdom' about the 'kill it with fire' and whatever stuff.

Seriously? We are in 2019, eh, folks. Who give anymore a damn about, let alone the Internet and all of those 'social' things etc

Be like me, think differently, and don't give a damn about that stuff :bored:

For instance, on the complete opposite side, I 'fear' that this new 'Tarantulas revival' (T's and T's market are pretty big today) will somewhat 'harm' the arachnid keeping, in a way or another, sooner or later.

So 'kill those with fire'? Ah... here the question is those that purchase T's and then offer a LEGO made excavator as hide: the new heretics :lock:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Many have tried, but all have failed.
I could hate him, I just don't feel like it now ;)

On topic: I've actually never had this experience. Plenty of dumb remarks/questions, but no threats. I'm not sure what I would do, probably depends on what mood I was in. As far as the burned cat pic goes, I love cats but I support the op posting it. This is the internet after all, where you often need to resort to low blows to make noticeable point (arachnoboards excepted, of course).

Most of the people I know with can't deal with spiders... most of my family, colleagues and significant other are repulsed by them. 90% of conversations about my hobby end up along the lines of "I'd just kill it with fire". I don't find it offensive as such, just tedious.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Most of the people I know with cantc deal with spiders... most of my family, colleagues and significant other are repulsed by them. 90% of conversations about my hobby end up along the lines of "I'd just kill it with fire". I don't find it offensive as such, just tedious.
I've seen the "burn it with fire" thing so many times it's just boring now. If I ever bothered to respond to those people I say " You'd burn it with fire!?! OMG that's so clever, how did you come up with that idea?"

I've seen the "burn it with fire" thing so many times it's just boring now. If I ever bothered to respond to those people I say " You'd burn it with fire!?! OMG that's so clever, how did you come up with that idea?"
Methinks people just want an excuse to say a phrase they heard before and found amusing. A lot of people these days let memes do the thinking for them {sigh}

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Well I’m going to be unpopular here, but I think a pic of a burned cat is much more offensive than a pic of a flamethrower, and was somewhat unnecessary.

It’s not like they posted a pic of a burnt tarantula.

I don’t condone the kill it with fire comments either, but people can be jerks. Why would you want to act like them?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well I’m going to be unpopular here, but I think a pic of a burned cat is much more offensive than a pic of a flamethrower, and was somewhat unnecessary.
It’s not like they posted a pic of a burnt tarantula.
I don’t condone the kill it with fire comments either, but people can be jerks. Why would you want to act like them?
“The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.”
― Marcus Aurelius

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Of course, the burned cat pic was horrid, and it certainly wasn't pleasant "picking one out". However, that person was more than ok posting a pic of flamethrowers. The way i see it, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

It actually brings me to a point a week or so. A wok friend of mine mentioned about stepping on my T's for a laugh. So in reply(him being a dog lover), I suggested how about we go puppy stamping for a giggle. "apparently", that's a step too far (no pun intended)
But why don't they understand that's how we feel when they say the same about our spiders? And can't people pick up on the fact that you were entirely jesting? This is why I don't understand humans.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
But why don't they understand that's how we feel when they say the same about our spiders? And can't people pick up on the fact that you were entirely jesting? This is why I don't understand humans.
Here's the problem with that - if they don't have the common sense to put that logic together for themselves, chances are that you are going to have very little success explaining it. You don't accomplish anything more by showing a photo of a tortured dog/cat/horse/whatever than you do saying to them that it is no different as you saying to burn their <insert pet of choice> with fire.
It's sort of like when I try to explain to someone why I'm vegan, or why PETA chooses to illustrate why people should be vegan, by showing blatant and nightmarish images of animals being tortured and slaughtered. I bet all the meat eaters on this thread have complained, at least, once about vegans using disturbing and graphic images and how that does nothing to encourage meat eaters to do anything but shut us out.
Why would that not apply to your scenario of being offended, but it applies to someone telling you something that you don't want to hear?

Feral

Arachnobaron
This person says animal A is a pet, has emotional value to a human, and therefore its life has value... but doesn't see animal B as a pet and it therefore doesn't have value. So burn it, says this person. Then that person disagrees and says that animal B is, in fact, a pet and it therefore has value. Commence: Disagreement, escalation, fighting. And then even more disagreement about the disagreement, escalation, and fighting.

Meanwhile, I'm over here like- ALL life has value, in and of itself, pet or not, no matter what humans think.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I was declaring to all of my coworkers (who are semi-invested in my spider life) that I've gotten a new one and one of them said, "When do I get to come over to your house and squish it?" and I went "OK, so what if one of our coworkers HATED cats and asked when they could come over and skin your cat? How would that make you feel?" and she said "That's different. This is a cat."

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I was declaring to all of my coworkers (who are semi-invested in my spider life) that I've gotten a new one and one of them said, "When do I get to come over to your house and squish it?" and I went "OK, so what if one of our coworkers HATED cats and asked when they could come over and skin your cat? How would that make you feel?" and she said "That's different. This is a cat."

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

People really start to lack compassion for anything that isn't a mammal. It only escalates as you work your way to inverts.

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
People really start to lack compassion for anything that isn't a mammal. It only escalates as you work your way to inverts.
I was about to click Agree and move on, but I started thinking about how people on here describe their t’s. If someone says their t is a murder machine or similar description nobody bats an eye. If somebody dares to suggest their t might be capable of affection, emotions or intelligent thought they are usually greeted with disagrees, face palms and accused of anthropomorphism.

Anyone who’s owned a Cat or Dog (or other mammal) knows how clever and affectionate they can be. Can we really expect these non t lovers to empathise with a non-feeling, non-thinking murder machine?

Just a thought.

I’ll repeat, I don’t condone the “kill it with fire/squishing” comments either. Not because it hurts my feelings (it doesn’t), but because it’s rude, unkind and unnecessary.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I was about to click Agree and move on, but I started thinking about how people on here describe their t’s. If someone says their t is a murder machine or similar description nobody bats an eye. If somebody dares to suggest their t might be capable of affection, emotions or intelligent thought they are usually greeted with disagrees, face palms and accused of anthropomorphism.

Anyone who’s owned a Cat or Dog (or other mammal) knows how clever and affectionate they can be. Can we really expect these non t lovers to empathise with a non-feeling, non-thinking murder machine?

Just a thought.

I’ll repeat, I don’t condone the “kill it with fire/squishing” comments either. Not because it hurts my feelings (it doesn’t), but because it’s rude, unkind and unnecessary.
I don't see how whether or not an animal is capable of affection should change someones view on whether or not that creature deserves compassion, especially as someone's pet. Do I expect the average person to love my snakes and tarantulas? No. Do I expect they have the common decency and respect not to make jokes and threats of stepping on them or setting them on fire when it's blatantly clear I'm passionate about them and this hobby? Yes. And it shouldn't be my job to explain to them why a living thing doesn't deserve to be borderline tortured to death because they see it as a "non-feeling, non-thinking murder machine". That's their shortcoming, not mine. ;P

NorseDad

Arachnopeon
Feels like an overreaction to me. I get "gross" or "kill it with fire" stuff all the time when I share photos, then I put away pictures of my ex and show off my tarantulas.

SlytherinAway

Arachnopeon
i've been on multiple discord servers where i post a T pic and within five minutes a mod messages me to mark any spider pics as "spoilers"