Asian forest

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I added substrate to the enclosure and a hole with my finger. I placed a mealworm next to him/her and didn't take:/

It will take it a few days to settle in, though I have found that my Rain Forest species are more likely to be finicky eaters than my Desert species.

That being said, try a cricket in a few days. Scorpions seem, on average, to take to Crickets better.

It does need more Substrate. No need for super high temperatures. 75 degrees is alright. Mine sometimes get dips into the high 60s, though that is not by my choice. But they're alright. 75 should be fine for yours.
You're better off with a glass Aquarium, but regardless of what you house it in (as long as it's large enough) cover half the lid with saran wrap to help keep in humidity.
On the topic of Humidity, don't try to chase a specific number of humidity. All that will do is irritate and you may possibly have it over wet in there chasing numbers. Just keep it damp and it'll burrow into the damp substrate.

Give it a water dish.

The hide you chose, while not detrimental to the specimen, will eventually develop mold because it is natural wood and the Enclosure will be on the humid side. For anything in moist Enclosures I go with cork bark (less likely to mold) or better yet a plastic or some other material hide altogether. They will use it as a starting point and burrow down below it, so I prefer open back hides. I found plastic (yes, plastic) half logs that resemble the wood ones like what you have and they are even materialled to look like real wood. I am surprised I don't see them more often.

I shed a tear thinking about how many Rain Forest species are sold by pet stores that tell people to keep them as dry as possible.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
It will take it a few days to settle in, though I have found that my Rain Forest species are more likely to be finicky eaters than my Desert species.

That being said, try a cricket in a few days. Scorpions seem, on average, to take to Crickets better.

It does need more Substrate. No need for super high temperatures. 75 degrees is alright. Mine sometimes get dips into the high 60s, though that is not by my choice. But they're alright. 75 should be fine for yours.
You're better off with a glass Aquarium, but regardless of what you house it in (as long as it's large enough) cover half the lid with saran wrap to help keep in humidity.
On the topic of Humidity, don't try to chase a specific number of humidity. All that will do is irritate and you may possibly have it over wet in there chasing numbers. Just keep it damp and it'll burrow into the damp substrate.

Give it a water dish.

The hide you chose, while not detrimental to the specimen, will eventually develop mold because it is natural wood and the Enclosure will be on the humid side. For anything in moist Enclosures I go with cork bark (less likely to mold) or better yet a plastic or some other material hide altogether. They will use it as a starting point and burrow down below it, so I prefer open back hides. I found plastic (yes, plastic) half logs that resemble the wood ones like what you have and they are even materialled to look like real wood. I am surprised I don't see them more often.

I shed a tear thinking about how many Rain Forest species are sold by pet stores that tell people to keep them as dry as possible.
The hide I have right now is anti mold. I believe that's what I read on the advertising. And I will eventually get him a glass tank probably buy a 30-40 for my snake and move him into a 10 gallon

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
This is my set up so far, the scorpion is in the bark hideout right now. But please let me know if I should get it wetter, dryer, should I add something else?
Way to go on your first Scorpion but since you have a forest Scorpion I would replace that wood hide with an artificial one. Wood is good for desert Scorpions because desert species like it dry but not for your Asian Black the wood will get mold, you should be misting the tank every morning and when you get the heat pad do not put it under the tank it will cook your Scorpion if it burrows, stick it to one side they burrow to get away from the heat.

Watch this video.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Way to go on your first Scorpion but since you have a forest Scorpion I would replace that wood hide with an artificial one. Wood is good for desert Scorpions because desert species like it dry but not for your Asian Black the wood will get mold
Actually, cork bark is mold-resistant. So he doesn't need an artificial hide, per se.

Chuck131

Arachnopeon
Actually, cork bark is mold-resistant. So he doesn't need an artificial hide, per se.
Yes I agree cork bark is mold resistant but the cork bark I bought from a pet store was contaminated and I had a big issue that almost threatened the health of one of my Scorpions.
Why risk it?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes I agree cork bark is mold resistant but the cork bark I bought from a pet store was contaminated and I had a big issue that almost threatened the health of one of my Scorpions.
Why risk it?
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but your one experience doesn't trump all the good experiences that other people have had with cork bark. I've been using cork bark for three years with tarantulas, in high humidity enclosures and never had a problem. I don't buy from pet stores though. I buy mine online from amazon, a pack of three cork tubes (zoo med brand) can be stretched quite a long way when broken up. Breaking them over the enclosure also adds textured pieces to the substrate to add to a natural aesthetic.

All the cork bark in there is from 1 medium cork tube.

The problem with artificial hides is that they can be pretty heavy and if a scorpion burrowed under it, if it fell onto them it could crush them.

arachnodizz

Arachnopeon
i rescued one tonight also, in a deli cup with dry peat .. went to get other stuff and saw those, woulda bought the rest but wasnt prepared to spend mondo bucks. Hopefully someone else picks em up.

You can see how dry it was in the first pic ... poor lil dude Hes totally diggin his cork bark and new house

Attachments

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
i rescued one tonight also, in a deli cup with dry peat .. went to get other stuff and saw those, woulda bought the rest but wasnt prepared to spend mondo bucks. Hopefully someone else picks em up.

You can see how dry it was in the first pic ... poor lil dude Hes totally diggin his cork bark and new house
Good job helping one of these guys out! Unfortunately I have my scorpion in a good living environment, moist, around 80 degrees a hide, but I have yet to see him eat I have crickets in there maybe I got to try roaches?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Good job helping one of these guys out! Unfortunately I have my scorpion in a good living environment, moist, around 80 degrees a hide, but I have yet to see him eat I have crickets in there maybe I got to try roaches?
I've heard Heterometrus can have poor appetites, and so far my male and female H. petersii have lived up to that. The male has eaten for me once in just under a month, the female not at all. In comparison, my much smaller C. gracilis community has been HUNGRY.

arachnodizz

Arachnopeon
Are you leaving the prey in enclosure over night? My scorpions rarely eat when I feed em. But crickets are MIA in the morning. This AFS must have smashed his cricket last night cuz it’s just him in there today lol.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
I've heard Heterometrus can have poor appetites, and so far my male and female H. petersii have lived up to that. The male has eaten for me once in just under a month, the female not at all. In comparison, my much smaller C. gracilis community has been HUNGRY.

It must be something with their eating styles lol. Mines still pretty fat so I don't know if it's starving. But it does alarm me!

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Are you leaving the prey in enclosure over night? My scorpions rarely eat when I feed em. But crickets are MIA in the morning. This AFS must have smashed his cricket last night cuz it’s just him in there today lol.
Yes I left 2 crickets in there a few days ago I only saw one last night but the other cricket could be under something I'll check again in the morning

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
also when theyre about to molt they look like little sausages with claws. they go into a tube shape and then burst out of it.
One if mine is getting in the neighbourhood. It's still what I consider a baby

m_IMG_6701.jpg

I've heard Heterometrus can have poor appetites, and so far my male and female H. petersii have lived up to that.
My adult didn't get the memo on that. I've been pretty lucky so far, it has accepted most offerings consistently since I got it. Often, I don't even see it, I'll chase a cricket beneath the scorpion's piece of cork bark and hear a scuffle and the cricket is never seen again. Rarely, I catch a glimpse like this one. Sometimes when I offer prey when the scorp is out and about I get to witness the take-down, though.

m_IMG_6680crop.jpg

Here is the younger one enjoying a baby Red-runner (B. lateralis) roach...

m_IMG_6667crop.jpg

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes I left 2 crickets in there a few days ago I only saw one last night but the other cricket could be under something I'll check again in the morning
Don't leave uneaten prey in there any longer than 24 hours at a time (I wouldn't leave it more than 12 hours personally). If it's still running around in there remove it and try again in a few days.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
petdumb employees couldnt keep bacteria alive on a toilet
That's quotable. :writer:

PLEASE! GET REAL. Forest. Detritus layer. Heat mats? 80 degrees? That's not a habitat, it's an incubator. Think agar, petri dishes.
While the ambient air temperature in tropical forests can and does shoot up over 100 6 months out of the year, I don't think the scorp environment down under the leaves ever gets above 70. And during the rainy and cool season, it stays around 55 to 60. Just be glad your 80 degree environment isn't the average Asian forest detritus. It would be wall to wall mold and fungi and potentially lethal for just about any animal.