Asian forest

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
I just went to pet smart to get some heating pads for my paceman frog, and noticed this beauty so I bought it. It was very defensive when transferring it, anyway I got it home pretty quickly and introduced it to its new home. As soon as it got in there it went straight to the water and drank like crazy. I threw a mealworms next to it but it didn't take, I iver heard the pet employee they feed it crickets so I got one and changed it for the worm and still nothing it crawled all over the scorpion is that normal for it to get accustomed the enclosures then eat?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
IMG_20171005_201234341.jpg I'm assuming Heterometrus.. keep them like a humid fossorial spider. Deep moist sub and decent cross ventilation. About 8" in there

Mila

Arachnoknight
provide a hide, poke your finger deep into the substrate as helps them make a burrow, increase humidity and keep giving it water. petdumb employees couldnt keep bacteria alive on a toilet so you should always treat an animal from there as if its been abused.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Okay thank god I found this forum, I felt as if I knew more about the habitat then her. They told me the dryer the better for them but I put in moist coco in there and a thin layer of dry coco on top. I included a hide for him/her and a shallow waterdish, I have a 5 gallon tank holding him right now plenty of space. The thing I was concerned about was the temperature, do I have to keep it high or can it live in room temp?

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Thank you for rescuing that Asian forest scorpion! :astonished: hahaha And congrats on your new scorp!

They can be fairly aggressive scorpions for sure but nothing most beginners can't handle. Pretty easy to keep IMO. As far as feeding goes, it is very normal for a scorpion to become comfortable with its new surroundings before eating. Sometimes they can go weeks or even months without eating depending on certain situations.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
This is my set up so far, the scorpion is in the bark hideout right now. But please let me know if I should get it wetter, dryer, should I add something else?

Attachments

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Okay so I have to purchase a heating pad soon! But I just spent a lot of money today lol

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
How big is your scorpion? Is it an adult? If so definitely a bigger enclosure. 10 gallon tank is recommended for adult Asian forest scorps. Keep the substrate damp not soaking wet, and deep for burrowing. Humidity is most important. But your enclosure looks pretty good for a sub-adult.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Heat pads don't work that great but if you use one make sure it's on the side and not the bottom of the enclosure. Infrared bulb heat lamps work pretty good.

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
I'll be sure to take a picture of it after I get off of work, I believe it's a sub adult it'd say it was about 4 inches. That's just a assumption

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Oh dude one last thing. Add some more substrate to your enclosure, I'd say bring it up to at least were the top of your hide is at now. ;)

Villegas23

Arachnosquire
Oh dude one last thing. Add some more substrate to your enclosure, I'd say bring it up to at least were the top of your hide is at now. ;)
Unfortunately he'll have to be in this enclosure for a little longer maybe a week or two because I am planning on getting another 10-20 gallon tank and making it look nice. I'll be sure to add more tonight or tomorrow morning!

Mila

Arachnoknight
also when theyre about to molt they look like little sausages with claws. they go into a tube shape and then burst out of it.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
That is a pretty accurate depiction of a pre-molt AFS lmao I have two that are looking like this right now hahaha

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
My adult female gave birth at temps ~75. No need for that high IME.

I'd avoid any heat pads for sure. And bulbs if possible, I imagine it would dry out the cage quickly.

My adult female has a roughly 5 gallon tank. That is plenty big.

Add much more sub. And keep it all damp.

Mila

Arachnoknight
they usually take a few days to settle in before theyll eat. you should also get crickets or cockroaches as mealworms are too small

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I added substrate to the enclosure and a hole with my finger. I placed a mealworm next to him/her and didn't take:/
First photo is slightly out of focus, but looks to be H. petersii.
Poking a hole won't guarantee it will burrow there. I quit doing that, they burrowed elsewhere, some haven't burrowed at all. They're content using a half round cork bark as a hide. Only 2 of the 11 Heterometrus dug burrows, all have ample sub in which to dig. Just be sure to keep their substrate moist and feed 3-5X a month.
Heterometrus are a fun and great species to start with. Enjoy yours!
My 3.5" non-burrowing H. petersii.

Attachments