Araneomorph (True Spider) Picture Thread

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
IMG_20170820_150110_873.jpg IMG_20170628_122614_244.jpg IMG_20161114_073536.jpg

Pic 1: Leucauge venusta aka the orchard orb weaver- a long jawed orb weaver in the family Tetragnathidae.
Pic 2: Mimetus puritanus- a pirate spider in the family Mimetidae
Pic 3: A mature male Bryantae variation Phidippus audax aka bold jumping spider. Family Salticidae.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Found this today. A new one for me. I believe it is Pachygnatha autumnalis- a thick jawed orb weaver in the long jawed orb weaver family Tetragnathidae. IMG_20170829_170853_993.jpg

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

Rabidosa santrita -endemic to the gila river drainage in riparian oak woodland in Arizona and new mexico. Partially aquatic and arboreal, never found far from water. these can effortlessly skate across like dolomedes.

Rabidosa punctulata- A grassland species, generally very calm and placid. Can be effortlessly picked up and makes a very good photography subject.

Sosippus californicus- the California Funnel-Wolf spider.. despite the species epithet, extremely rare in california. Likes riparian oak woodland and mesquite Bosque.

Hogna antelucana- Perhaps the most unusual Hogna species, may end up being moved to another genus, shares physical and behavioral traits with Rabidosa.

Male and female Phidippus carneus 'montivagus'

Tnevet

Arachnopeon
Found this guy in a disused cabinet, west of Ireland so he/she can't be too exotic. I know they're not the best of pics but would anyone like to hazzard a guess on an ID? IMG_20171003_182005.jpg IMG_20171003_182050.jpg

Jaime8

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new here. I apologize if this is not the correct thread for this. Just let me know if I should post elsewhere. This handsome fellow has made a home in my sliding glass door frame outside, for the past 4 days. I absolutely love that he is right there to observe. I know it is a male black widow (not sure if Northern or Southern). I am not finding much info on their hunting/eating habits, life cycle or behaviors. Anyone have a resource? Also wondering if he is trying to attract a lady friend. I am surprised he has stayed this long. The door is used frequently and I have not seen him eat.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I know it is a male black widow (not sure if Northern or Southern). I am not finding much info on their hunting/eating habits, life cycle or behaviors. Anyone have a resource? Also wondering if he is trying to attract a lady friend. I am surprised he has stayed this long. The door is used frequently and I have not seen him eat.
As a mature male, he will have little or no appetite, and his days are numbered. (Once male widows mature, they abandon their webs and search for females.)

My advice (assuming you don't mind having widow spiderlings around) is just to let him keep doing his thing.

Jaime8

Arachnopeon
As a mature male, he will have little or no appetite, and his days are numbered. (Once male widows mature, they abandon their webs and search for females.)

My advice (assuming you don't mind having widow spiderlings around) is just to let him keep doing his thing.
Thanks for the info. As much as I love their beauty, this is a bad spot for a female with eggs and then spiderlings. We use this door often. Probably having mom there would not be good. I will relocate the male.

Vytohh

Arachnopeon
I found a juvenile Nephila pilipes or antiopodiana in my garden(Philippines). How long until it's an adult? Right now it's 3/4 of an inch including legspan. IMG_20171102_132627.jpg IMG_20171102_132702.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I found a juvenile Nephila pilipes or antiopodiana in my garden(Philippines). How long until it's an adult? Right now it's 3/4 of an inch including legspan.
When I find Nephila clavipes of this size, I start finding mature females within a couple of months.

Salmon

Arachnopeon
image.jpg
Hogna carolinensis, male I believe. Palps aren't particularly broad but very slender body and long legs. I'm hoping not because I was looking forward to keeping it around for a while!