Arana Polita - Chicken Spider Diary

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another update. Gravid Female #2 started heavy webbing yesterday just like the one that just laid a sac. Looks like I'll two sacs to work with. {D

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that is phenomenal news! obviously pics will be required as we all live vicariously through your success.

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Just went through the whole thread, and all I got to say is nice job! and congrats with the eggsacs!

grats abrax, now i need to take pictures hehe?
I agree, we need some more pictures :D

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Female 2:

Oh and looks are deceiving. I couldn't get a good shot of the large side of the eggsac. This is just the side with the smaller, crinkled end. The sac is about double the size on the right side of her body.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Congrats man.
I guess you're going to be setting up a bunch of new communals in the future?:)

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fantastic pics!

Are there records of approximate offspring numbers you can be expecting?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fantastic pics!

Are there records of approximate offspring numbers you can be expecting?
Nope. All I know from photos and one of the batches that was collected that there may or may not be 20 or more slings in a burrow with a female. So this could mean the amount that hatch from each egg sac could be low or the amount that hatch is high, but many scatter or do not survive.

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nope. All I know from photos and one of the batches that was collected that there may or may not be 20 or more slings in a burrow with a female. So this could mean the amount that hatch from each egg sac could be low or the amount that hatch is high, but many scatter or do not survive.
You can expect 100-150 hatch. I'd be very surprised otherwise, but it's interesting see the outcome for sure!

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's so great. What an awesome thread!

Oh, and congrats!

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sacs! That is so awesome. I can say without a doubt that this is the coolest news I've ever heard from within the tarantula world. The next coolest thing would be news of your export license for USA...

Awesome, awesome job, Abraxas. Keep it up!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Awesome job, now how can I get a batch of 10 or so slings to Switzerland :D...

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some bad and good news.

The first female to lay abandoned her sac completely. I went to salvage it and only found two viable eggs. I should have realized the sac's distress beforehand due to the darkening/soiling it seemed to be acquiring as well as the general loss in size over time.

On the other hand, the second female's sac is still bright white and in great shape. She guards it with her life.

The 2 eggs are being incubated and if they survive will at least be able to help me gage how long before the other sac hatches.

Needless to say all my large sub adult CS from the big tank are in premolt and I should have a few MM to try again with.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man sorry to hear about the loss of the sac, at least the other is still hopefully doing fine!

Those two survivors will be a special pair if they make it :D

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Any updates? Did those two survive? Whatta bout that second sac?
Hope all's well!